R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: FMR Really Nice Compressor  (Read 31161 times)

refd

Re: FMR Really Nice Compressor
« Reply #60 on: March 01, 2007, 04:47:57 PM »

hargerst wrote on Tue, 06 February 2007 12:14

No, it's strictly a problem with specific asymmetrical wave forms that are nulled out in the DSP processing of the RNC. And it's not a problem with the Brick, unless the gain control is set to around 2 to 3 o'clock.

eh?

the FMR RNC is digitally controlled, but it has a totally analog signal path.

DSP has nowt to do with the "gauze" as there are no converters handling audio.

Vertigo

« Reply #61 on: March 11, 2007, 01:09:48 PM »

How hard are you guys hitting these things? I can get that "gauze" effect from the RNC, but only by slamming it. I find the RNC to be a fairly aggressive compressor, which is why Supernice mode comes in so handy. A little goes a long way with the RNC.

I'm a bit skeptical about the Panasonic FM caps "clearing up the gauze", unless there was something wrong with the original caps in the first place. Then again, I've seen stranger things - I'll give this a try on one of my RNC's and see what happens.

-Lance

compasspnt

« Reply #62 on: March 12, 2007, 12:00:44 AM »

Then do it to two, so you have that "Matched Pair."

Vertigo

« Reply #63 on: March 12, 2007, 12:46:20 AM »

A handful of caps and a can of red Rustoleum... Good times!!

-Lance

zekmoe

« Reply #64 on: March 15, 2007, 10:20:06 AM »

Harvey,
have you used the RNC with a Soundtracs Topaz24? I wanted to get one or two for use and wondered if there was any issue or compatability in this setup.
Thanks
Bob
Not a downstroke, fistpicker.

hargerst

« Reply #65 on: March 15, 2007, 11:59:02 AM »

zekmoe wrote on Thu, 15 March 2007 09:20

Harvey,
have you used the RNC with a Soundtracs Topaz24? I wanted to get one or two for use and wondered if there was any issue or compatibility in this setup.
Thanks
I have 4 RNC's and 2 RNLA's hooked up to our Topaz 32 right now - and have used all of them that way since they first came out.  No problems whatsoever.
Harvey "Is that the right note?" Gerst
Indian Trail Recording Studio

johnR

« Reply #66 on: April 06, 2007, 08:53:57 AM »

It is possible in theory for a compressor to reduce asymmetry (and the associated even harmonics) in a waveform, but only if the attack and release are so fast compared with the signal frequency that the peaks of the waveform are individually compressed.
The RNC can be set to much faster attack and release times than a lot of compressors. I'm wondering if too-fast settings are causing the problem discussed here, but nobody has given details of the settings they are using.

hargerst

« Reply #67 on: April 06, 2007, 11:51:14 AM »

According to Mark, the problem occurs only when the Brick's gain is set to around 2 to 3 o'clock, where the output wave becomes asymmetrical.  Other settings on the Brick do not cause the problem.
Harvey "Is that the right note?" Gerst
Indian Trail Recording Studio

johnR

« Reply #68 on: April 09, 2007, 09:46:20 AM »

That's a little worrying. Asymmetrical waveforms occur fairly often. Basically anything containing significant amounts of even harmonics will be asymmetrical. That includes a lot of common signal sources, eg. electric guitar. I was thinking of buying a couple of RNCs, but I think I'll delay on that decision until I can find out more about this.

compasspnt

« Reply #69 on: April 09, 2007, 11:24:13 AM »

Without a really good explanation, and possible solution, this is cause to pause.

doc willie

« Reply #70 on: April 10, 2007, 11:58:33 AM »

NOt to worry. The Brick problem is  a special situation.

The RNC works great on guitars, and just about everything else. The only exception is electric bass. Mark says that that is pecause the RNC has a much faster attack than most compressors, and this affects the bass, and is easily solved by increasing the attack time. Users have varying opionions on this.

Th Brick is a problem at some settings.

The bass maybe a problem. Everything else is beautiful. Understanding this, you will love this little box.

johnR

« Reply #71 on: April 11, 2007, 04:12:07 PM »

I just got an email from Mark McQ explaining the problem. To summarize, the slight non-linearity in the RNC's VCA exactly mirrors the non-linearity in the Brick at a certain setting, and the distortion added by the Brick is cancelled out. This is pure unlucky coincidence (if you regard removal of distortion as a problem). Anyway, Mark's explanation has removed my doubts and the RNC is back on my shopping list.

BTW any other compressor that uses a properly trimmed Blackmer VCA is likely to cause the same problem (dbx anyone?).

rankus

« Reply #72 on: April 11, 2007, 06:13:35 PM »

johnR wrote on Wed, 11 April 2007 13:12

BTW any other compressor that uses a properly trimmed Blackmer VCA is likely to cause the same problem (dbx anyone?).

Nope.

I use Brick into the DBX 160x all the time and do not have the same issue as I discovered with the RNC.

Rick Welin - Clark Drive Studios http://www.myspace.com/clarkdrivestudios

Ive done stuff I'm not proud of.. and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting ~ Moe Sizlack

"There is no crisis in energy, the crisis is in imagination" ~ Buckminster Fuller

rankus

« Reply #73 on: April 11, 2007, 06:15:19 PM »

hargerst wrote on Fri, 06 April 2007 08:51

According to Mark, the problem occurs only when the Brick's gain is set to around 2 to 3 o'clock, where the output wave becomes asymmetrical.  Other settings on the Brick do not cause the problem.

My favorite settings on the Brick (2-3 o'clock)

Rick Welin - Clark Drive Studios http://www.myspace.com/clarkdrivestudios

Ive done stuff I'm not proud of.. and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting ~ Moe Sizlack

"There is no crisis in energy, the crisis is in imagination" ~ Buckminster Fuller
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 19 queries.