R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: Refused master?  (Read 20050 times)

Andrew Hamilton

Re: Refused master?
« Reply #90 on: November 20, 2008, 06:06:42 PM »

Sean Magee wrote on Thu, 20 November 2008 13:16

we are talking about 0.1 dB. thats 1/10th of a dB

so the smallest increment you're supposed to be able to hear is 1 dB (a, i think).

if its for a compilation the its highly likeley that the level will be altered to sit within the album.

if it has overs in it, well so be it. the engineer can eq if he likes, he can then correct any overs there maybe.

i wouldn't think that he'd feel obliged to do anything just to justify his existence. some of my clients come to me because of what i don't do.
so doing a job flat is fine with me....if it aint broke...

The smallest increment one can detect is closer to one tenth of a dB.  I'm talking about the RMS, after all - not transients -  because the entire waveform is altered when you make a segment gain adjustment (not just the peaks, as in limiting).

As I explained in my earlier post, it's the minimal degree of precision required for proper ABX testing.  If it matters there, it matters in mastering...  (We're in the splitting hairs business, aren't we? Wink

Also, Dave Davis explained that such an alteration might be decided on as a way to keep sophomoric producers or execs from  worrying that the ME is a hack (in case they don't know that everyone clips, nowadays - even the power company );

Andrew
www.serifsound.com
premastering for CD and DVD-A.  Featuring FTP load in and delivery as well as analog tape transfers.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 19 queries.