R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: FLAC for file transfer  (Read 3391 times)

Jim Sam

FLAC for file transfer
« on: May 18, 2011, 12:29:43 PM »

From the zipping thread:

I always go with .rar when I'm sending mastered files out to clients, as I believe .rar is better optimised for PCM audio files than .zip is, but .zip does seem to be a lot quicker than .rar. Most clients send me uploaded .wav or .aif files, and I have given up asking them for .zip or .rar. I think they both contain checksum error checking. I know Bob Katz makes a good case for .flac being the file transfer format of the future, as it is a faster encode/decode than .rar or .zip, compresses the file size more, and still contains a checksum.

Does anyone use FLAC for file transfer?  I've been contemplating moving over to FLAC for files I send off, but despite the best effort of the Internet Archive and bandcamp, I worry about people not knowing what the codec is and/or being able to play it.

Darius van H

• Real Full Name: Darius van Helfteren
Re: FLAC for file transfer
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 03:36:34 PM »

I would avoid using any formats that a large proportion of your clients may not be able to handle (unless you have time to burn) - so that rules out (for me) Flac & RAR.

I also one time had a RAR file (that i made myself) that un-rar'd without an error, yet contained corrupted data. After that i stopped using RAR.

24-96 Mastering

Re: FLAC for file transfer
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 04:24:38 PM »

I would avoid using any formats that a large proportion of your clients may not be able to handle (unless you have time to burn) - so that rules out (for me) Flac & RAR.

I concur.

It's zip only here... (I wish zip had decent audio file compression though. Wonder why Microsoft don't implement it... Backward-compatibility I assume?) The only times I use RAR is for hires catalog work, i.e. when transferring very large amounts of data.
Robin Schmidt @ 24-96 Mastering
www.24-96.comwww.facebook.com/2496mastering
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 23 queries.