R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: To keep or not to keep  (Read 5817 times)

billiard

To keep or not to keep
« on: November 27, 2007, 01:26:20 PM »

That is the question.  I was given a CAD VX2 mic but I'm afraid I am not familiar with this mic or anything by this company.  So far I have only tested to see if it functioned.  It was working but my initial impression was that it was somewhat dark and wooly (I could certainly be wrong).  

Options seem to be either sell the mic and pick up something I know will be used more frequently around here or spend possibly considerable time trying it on numerous things to find uses where it may shine.  I have a fairly decent mic collection and this would not rank very high in value among them, I suspect.  So it's not like this would fill a void as far as I'm aware.  I also have no idea of its market value.

My hope is that some may help aim me in the right direction.  Anyone familiar with it?  Any specific application it performs particularly well?

My apologies Klaus, if you think this belongs in another forum.  My understanding is that these were priced at few thousand when they were manufactured, so I thought I would try here first.  Thanks.

Bill Philbrick
"I don't know anything about music. In my line you don't have to."   - Elvis Presley

Barry Hufker

Re: To keep or not to keep
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2007, 01:47:27 PM »

My philosophy is that every mic has some use and so I never sell mine.  And this philosophy has worked well for me.

billiard

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2007, 05:13:59 PM »

I certainly understand and agree with that philosophy.  In fact, it doesn't take much coaxing for me to be a pack rat.  And given time I would probably find a use for it (although I also might never get around to it).

On the other hand, I feel like someone else might be thrilled to have it and it might see daily or at least weekly use.

I was sort of hoping someone might have an interesting story about stumbling upon an application where this turned out to be just the ticket.  I may even have higher hopes for the story than for the mic. Smile

Bill Philbrick
"I don't know anything about music. In my line you don't have to."   - Elvis Presley

Barry Hufker

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2007, 06:59:19 PM »

Sorry that I can't help there.

Barry

trunkline

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2007, 07:11:07 PM »

Maybe it's just a difference in taste, but I like it on vocals and alto sax.  I haven't tried it on acoustic guitar, but I've had it recommended to me for that purpose.  
It probably depends what other mics you have too.

Tom

Jack Schitt

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2007, 08:22:56 PM »

Hard to say really. My CAD mics of choice are a pair of M177's. Rumor has it these mics are pretty amazing on toms. I guess I'll find out in a few days.

compasspnt

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2007, 08:34:11 PM »

For whatever reason, Hugh liked it...

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/sep00/articles/cad.htm

Fibes

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2007, 11:23:50 PM »

I've mixed quite a few r&b tracks that I know were done with that mic since it's the "go to" that the tracking engineer has at his shop. He's always delivered great sounding female and male vocals and rap to me to work with.

Sure, it's hearsay in a secondary firsthand fashion but it's all i got.

BTW isn't it better to have two of things, Noah seemed to do OK that way and i'm sure he didn't always want all of the couples he had...

Fibes
-------------------------------------------------
"You can like it, or not like it."
The Studio

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewArtist ?id=155759887
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse2

hargerst

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2007, 12:05:22 AM »

Why not live with it for a while, try it on a few things, and then make a decision?
Harvey "Is that the right note?" Gerst
Indian Trail Recording Studio

billiard

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2007, 11:24:08 AM »

Quote:

BTW isn't it better to have two of things, Noah seemed to do OK that way and i'm sure he didn't always want all of the couples he had...

Are you suggesting that now I should go buy one of these too? Confused  By the time it stops raining, there will be a bunch of little cads running around. Yikes!
Shocked

Bill Philbrick

tom eaton

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2007, 04:10:53 PM »

You do have to be careful.

Years ago I bought 2 CAD/Equitek E350 mics.  

I now have three.  

I must say that the third and youngest one bears a striking resemblance to the other, older two, and to no other mic around here.  

I've left my 414eb s in the dark together for a long, long time hoping for a similar happening.

t

M Kearns

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2007, 11:27:31 PM »

If your VX2 is dark & woolly, it probably needs a little TLC.
I got one about 3 years ago, & it has been the vocal choice a good 80% of the time since then. Especially for R&B vocals. I find it to be pretty smooth, with good highs, but un-hyped in the bottom & top end. But also, I don't let vocalists dive right into the mic.

Not very impressed with it on acoustic guitars, but acceptable if nothing else is available, or seems to be working on an instrument.

Did use it a few weeks ago on a Koto with a Lawson on the back of the instrument & the combination was very nice.

Would love to have another one.

Marty

Jim P. Allen

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2008, 04:19:49 PM »

Hi Marty,

Have you tried using the smaller (OS110) capsule on acoustic guitars?  I find it quite nice.

- Jim

M Kearns

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2008, 09:31:02 AM »

Jim,

I got mine from the designer when he left CAD a few years ago to start a new company. (Through a buddy who was working with them.)
Did not get the smaller capsule with it. That is one of the reasons I would like to get another. Heard the smaller capsule is sweet.

Thanks for the tip.

Marty

0dbfs

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2008, 10:42:03 AM »

There might be something wrong with the mic.

Take it apart carefully and just look at the connections inside and go from there. Most problems can be the result of an intermittent or bad connection.

Any faults aside I would also recommend keeping the mic and adding to your collection. It will just give you more sounds for the same or different sources.

Cheers,
j
Jonathan Burtner
Music is Everything!
Audio is Everything Else!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.073 seconds with 20 queries.