R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: ART MPA Gold  (Read 11721 times)

Harland

ART MPA Gold
« on: June 13, 2006, 05:56:48 PM »

Does anyone have any experience with an ART MPA Gold mic pre? I'm thinking of buying one and would like to hear some opinions. I've tried it out on a couple of vocal sessions and on a mandolin track and so far so good. I like the low end and the warmth but I don't hear so well in the highs and it sometimes becomes tough for me to make confident decisions. Also, any known issues with this particular model or  ART in general?

Thanks, Harland

8th_note

Re: ART MPA Gold
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2006, 01:38:07 AM »

I've got an MPA Gold and I really like it. It sounded very nice out of the box but I replaced the stock tubes with a Mullard 12AT7 in one channel and a JAN Phillips 12AT7 in the other channel. The new tubes give it a little smoother character.

The unit has a lot of depth and tube sparkle. It's a huge step up from the pres in my Mackie mixer. It also has loads of gain.

I've owned several budget preamps and for the money I don't think there's anything better out there.

Harland

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2006, 12:12:06 AM »

Thanks for the reply. I was wondering if you had noticed what I noticed with the unit I have - when the input control is very nearly all the way up, there's a spot where if you move the knob so much as a milimeter the gain jumps up by about 20dB. Also, if you are listening to a sustaining sound and you move the input control, the sound flutters until you stop moving the control. Also I'd be curious to know what you've learned in using the variable impedence control. Thanks!
Harland

compasspnt

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2006, 12:15:06 AM »

I was supposed to get one of these for evaluation, but have not yet done so.

It does LOOK like a good value for the money, despite the goldness of it all.

Harland

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2006, 01:57:20 PM »

Hi Terry,

I'd be very pleased to hear your evaluation of the MPA Gold! I emailed ART regarding some of the concerns I had (outlined in my previous post here) and received a reply stating in effect that the big volume jump was a design/economics thing rather than a problem with the pot. So far I'm pretty happy with it.

Harland

8th_note

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2006, 08:19:30 PM »

I haven't noticed the volume control effect on my unit but I guess I've never turned it up that far. I normally use it with the 20db switch in the high output position. The mics I use are all pretty high output also.

I've played with the input impedence knob and I've always ended up somewhere in the middle of the range. It has a discernable effect but I haven't found a use for either extreme.

I would very much like to hear feedback on how this unit stacks up against more expensive gear. I'm seriously thinking about getting a couple channels of high end pre such as an A-Designs Pacifica, Chandler Germanium, or Millenia. I'm trying to figure out if it would be better to spend money on a good pre or better microphones. Looking forward to Terry's report.

ridgeback

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2006, 07:44:14 AM »

I've been back and forth on this purchase as well and decided to go for it. Our studio is a small 002 based system and I have no use for it's pres. Soooo MPA Gold (1) ART PRO (2). I went with an Octane for the extra eight on drums. So far so good. I did notice the jump on my lower output dynamics (57 & 58's) but no need to go that high with the condensers. Good band for the buck and kudos to ART for making decent affordable entry level gear.

scottoliphant

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2006, 10:22:25 AM »

i have one that as of late has been acting really spotty. When i can get it to work, I don't find it to be substantially better sound than my old brown soundcraft board, if better at all. It looks impressive though (buttons for plate voltage and whatnot) =) Got me by several years ago before I starting getting more serious about recording though. The volume bump thing is strange. If you have nothing, it's worth the money, if you want a decent pre to add to your arsenal, I'd consider going 1 step up

CHANCE

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2006, 02:21:19 PM »

I tried one of these last night. It was kind of interesting. I tried it with an M-160 and a BK-5. It wasn't mine, so I couldn't play with it. It wasn't the one with digi outs only analog.
Chance Pataki
The Musicians Workshop
musicians.workshop@gte.net
http://www.the-musicians-workshop.com

A person is a biological signal processor--EQ mag

compasspnt

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2006, 07:17:31 PM »

Kind of interesting how?

Interesting good, or interesting bad?

Or just odd?

I thought the one with the already converted outs might be something to try, because the one thing ART is known for in a good way is their old converter box.

Joe Black

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2006, 08:51:39 PM »

compasspnt wrote on Tue, 01 August 2006 19:17

Kind of interesting how?

Or just odd?

I thought the one with the already converted outs might be something to try, because the one thing ART is known for in a good way is their old converter box.

I've been eye balling this one also as I was looking to add a two more inexpensive digital ins via AES on my Metric Halo ULN-2. Wish it was a single rack space.......

CHANCE

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2006, 09:41:35 PM »

compasspnt wrote on Tue, 01 August 2006 16:17

Kind of interesting how?

Or just odd?

I used it with my analog board. It gave these 2 ribbon mics a healthy boost. I thought it was interesting, because it's quiet, and when I slammed the tube plete, it really changed the charactor a lot. I only had a minute to play with it, so I went to the extreme then backed down looking for its "sweet spot". For a lo-end $125.00 per ch, I would say you can't go wrong
Chance Pataki
The Musicians Workshop
musicians.workshop@gte.net
http://www.the-musicians-workshop.com

A person is a biological signal processor--EQ mag

vegas4ever

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2008, 04:26:05 PM »

sorry to bring this back, but can anyone else compared this to any other pre???
"Eagles may soar high, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines"
David Brent

JDNelson

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2008, 05:24:08 PM »

compasspnt wrote on Sat, 17 June 2006 21:15

Perhaps would pair well with an MXL mic?  Very Happy

vegas4ever

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2008, 07:52:25 AM »

JDNelson wrote on Tue, 29 January 2008 16:24

compasspnt wrote on Sat, 17 June 2006 21:15

Perhaps would pair well with an MXL mic?  Very Happy

Hey hey, I used to own a MXL 2001 Tube MOD, that will give any high end mic a run for the money, but going back to the topic, CAN SOMEONE TELL ME what the MPA gold its like???
"Eagles may soar high, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines"
David Brent
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 21 queries.