R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Zipping  (Read 10686 times)

Twerk

• Real Full Name: Shawn Hatfield
Re: Zipping
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2011, 12:59:06 PM »

Yet another WeTransfer user.

I liked it so much I even sprung for the customized branding. I still correspond with clients beforehand to pack everything together into a single Zip because it seems like WeTransfer is Zipping the files server-side which could potentially mean corruption on the way up. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Jim Sam

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2011, 01:45:10 PM »

The problem I've had with DropBox is how people I invite to the file can then invite other people to the file.  As I have to worry about copyright issues a lot in my particular circumstances, that kind of activity seriously spooks me.

Ruairi O Flaherty

• Real Full Name: Ruairi O'Flaherty
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2011, 01:57:37 PM »

The problem I've had with DropBox is how people I invite to the file can then invite other people to the file.  As I have to worry about copyright issues a lot in my particular circumstances, that kind of activity seriously spooks me.

I have so many problems with Dropbox, I really really dislike it.  Speaking of security issues though how do people feel about wetransfer?

SafeandSoundMastering

• Real Full Name: Barry Gardner
  • My analogue rack
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2011, 05:44:31 PM »

Drop box is slow and crap.
Barry Gardner
SafeandSound Mastering UK based online mastering studio.

Twerk

« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2011, 05:54:01 PM »

I have so many problems with Dropbox, I really really dislike it.  Speaking of security issues though how do people feel about wetransfer?

I have no qualms with their security. It simply sends an email notification with a download link to the email you've specified and their servers use a proprietary encryption when sending files.

lowland

« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2011, 03:29:04 AM »

I find Dropbox quite useful in the right circumstances: I have a customer who likes me to send completed albums back to via Dropbox overnight, for example.
Nigel Palmer
Lowland Masters
www.lowlandmasters.com

pmx

• Real Full Name: Paul Matthijs Lombert
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2011, 07:29:44 AM »

i always serve my files through dropbox, either with a link or by sharing folders with regular customers. i have a bunch of clients who like to drop their files in their shared folder so it uploads to my studio overnight. works great for mixchecks, and dropbox has an internal mechanism for checking the integrity of files so no need for zipping anymore.

as for security: i always move the files after a few days to a different folder instead of deleting it. no reuploading needed that way if a client needs it back online.

and, it's the clients responsibity to whom they give the downloadlink. i once got a call from a client asking why the downloadlink stopped working after a week. it turned out they published the url in a national press release, if i could please put it back online for a few weeks more :D
Paul Matthijs Lombert | The Mastering Factory

Twerk

« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2011, 12:51:31 PM »

and, it's the clients responsibity to whom they give the downloadlink. i once got a call from a client asking why the downloadlink stopped working after a week. it turned out they published the url in a national press release, if i could please put it back online for a few weeks more :D

That was one reason I moved away from the Amazon S3 service I was using before. While it was nice to pay only for the bandwidth I was actually using, a few clients who decided to distribute their albums from the link I provided cost me a pretty penny.  :P
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.99 seconds with 21 queries.