R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problems with EMT 140 plate!! Please Help!!  (Read 4825 times)

Bubba--Kron

Problems with EMT 140 plate!! Please Help!!
« on: May 14, 2011, 04:55:26 PM »

I think its the pick up but not sure.     Signal pass to the plate and I can hear it when standing next to it.     There is no signal from the pick up.   When I jiggle the Pick up wire into the main electronics, I can hear full sound when the contact touches and un-touches meaning the electronics seem ok.

When I tap the plate with my fingers, a loud weird sound comes out of the main output from the pick ups.    So the pickup only picks up very loud finger tapped sounds but makes a very awful weird sound ( not a clean plate sound).

So the pick up will only respond to finger tapping on the plate itself.  Im guessing the pick up is broken??

ALSO, I can hear a very quaint dry signal of the signal being sent to it,coming through the outputs(even with the pick up wire dis-engaged).  Is that normal?

Should I hire a competent person to fix it instead??

Thanks so much for any assistance!!!!!
Cheers, Bryan Richards

klett

Re: Problems with EMT 140 plate!! Please Help!!
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 10:43:38 AM »

sound like it could be the pickup - but it might not be...

if you have a stereo plate I'd suggest swapping the pickup cables on the back of the electronics to see of the problem moves to the other side...  you can get a new pickup (not the same though) from Jim Cunningham.  The new pickups are flat piezo discs and you need to change a couple components in the electronics to correct level...  he sell you a little kit with instructions

if it's not the pickup... well it could be various things and if you have a mono plate it's going to be V54 electronics - vacuum toobes.  V54/S is the stereo version - still toobes.  162 electronics are stereo solid state.

schematics here

http://technicalaudio.com/pdf/EMT/

have fun

Jim Williams

Re: Problems with EMT 140 plate!! Please Help!!
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 01:22:12 PM »

I have it in the shop now. It's the pickup as the preamp is working. I modified the repro circuits and drive for those high output pickups that I have a stash of. Too bad it's only mono.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.083 seconds with 24 queries.