R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Ye Olde Setup Tyme  (Read 9227 times)

Werewolf10

Re: Ye Olde Setup Tyme
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2006, 03:43:55 AM »

wwittman wrote on Mon, 22 May 2006 13:26

so, you say:
"no, I can't let you... that would be a PRODUCTION decision and I read on the internet that I'm not suposed to make PRODUCTION decisions... this crappy sound you're getting is how you really SOUND, and I'm doing you a favour by showing you. Of course there are things other people might do to try to make you sound better than you REALLY ARE, but I can't do that. It would be WRONG. Trying to give you a recording that sounds better than you do just left alone would be wasting your money."

you and I have a very different view of "qualified engineer"

I've never had a band say "Hey, Nigel sounds better than he ever did before on the drums! I don't know how you did it but Stop it!"

Ya know... you're the reason they say all engineers are just bitter old men that are pissed at the world because they never made it as musicians.  Just STFU and record the band.  
Laugh and the world laughs with you.  Weep, and you weep alone. "oldboy"

Craig Patterson

Re: Ye Olde Setup Tyme
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2006, 01:46:28 PM »

Werewolf10 wrote on Wed, 24 May 2006 08:43

Ya know... you're the reason they say all engineers are just bitter old men that are pissed at the world because they never made it as musicians.  Just STFU and record the band.  

It's not being an engineer that makes someone bitter.  It's just experience.  Hell, everyone I respect is bitter.   Very Happy

One way I compromise between playing with sounds and speed is to set up a ton of extra mics before the session, like having five or six mics in various positions on a kick I haven't recorded before.  During their warm-up I can discard at least three of them, and I like to have a choice of two for them to listen to when they first come into the control room.  They can instantly tell me which one they like for *their* sound, and we're both happy.

-Craig
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 20 queries.