R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Brand New PC build =BUT=  (Read 4333 times)

Max Ross

Brand New PC build =BUT=
« on: July 31, 2006, 02:51:17 PM »

I want to get an idea of what people are going for and why.  I've only seen one thread so far about it.  

Preamble: I've been in IT for over 5 years and know how to build systems, etc, etc.  The current rig that I am working on has the following specs:

=STOCK DELL=
-Intel Pent 3 (Ghz uknown- but it's under 3.0)
-786MB RAM
-250GB IDE Western Digital 8BM buffer HDD (add-on)
-12GB Maxtor HDD(stock came with computer now external)
-Creative Labs! Soundblaster Audigy ZS2 Platinum w/5.5 front bay
-Integrated video
-WinXP Pro/w SP2
-Steinberg Cubase SE
-Itrigue 3300 2.1 speakers

-audiotechnica microphone
-acoustic and electric guitars

I've been having problems recording in sync.  I'm on the Cubase forums for that help BUT I know some of it has to do with the latency.  I keep hearing that people recommend a minimum of 2 GIGS of RAM if not more.  What I would like to do is make a list of what I would like as recommendations and why.  My new configuration would be as follows:

=(probably) ASUS mobo
= 2GB RAM
= The 200 GB WD HDD (prim) (200 GB HDD/secondary)
= The SB Audigy 2ZS Platinum
= XP Pro w/SP2
= Itrigue 3300 2.1 system
= Steinberg Cubase SE

I want to know what other people think of these components:

1. Processor (AMD or Intel?  Will HTing the Intel make a diff?)
2. 2GB of RAM or more?  If more then how much more - 3, 4, 5GB?
3. Should I go with Dual CPU or does it not make a difference.

Conclusion: I just want to be able to record withouth having to deal with the hassles that I shouldn't have to such as not being able to record in sync due to latency issues from not having enough RAM, and the basic stuff not being able to be done because I don't have the proper hardware.  Any advice would be welcome.  Again please give reasons for your choices.

Thanks   Very Happy

Max  
If force doesn't work - you didn't use enough!

Fafel

Re: Brand New PC build =BUT=
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2006, 01:17:33 PM »

Hello Max,
I don't use Cubase, but doesn't it have a setting where you can adjust the buffer size?  that might help you with the latency problem.  Not necesary the RAM.

I'm running a P4 2.4GHz 1GB of RAM, Intel Mobo and chipset.  I use Protools LE 6.9 and Sonar 5 and haven't had any latency problems.  
I also make my own PCs, and now i'm thinking of building one with and AMD Dual processor.  The only problem i have is when  running a bunch of RTAS plug-ins in Protools starts acting up,  but that's understandable.  No problem  with Sonar.

I would check the buffer size in your case.

hope i could be of any help.

Good Luck,

Fafel

LSilva

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2006, 09:13:02 AM »

Your current PC may not be bleeding edge but I don't think it's underpowered for what you're trying to do.

I'm betting that the soundblaster card is causing the latency problem.

I'm not a Cubase expert but I *think* that cubase uses VST drivers by default. Does soundblaster have VST drivers for their cards?

You could try to tell Cubase to use WDM drivers instead (but I'm not sure if that's an available option for Cubase).

See if you can download a demo of Sonar or one of Cakewalk's other DAW software programs as a test.

I'll bet that your performance will go way up and you won't have any (or at least a lot less) latency problems.

As for your new PC, 2 Gigs of RAM will be nice but I'll bet you could easily get by with 1Gig unless you plan to have a lot of tracks with a lot of plugins.

I've built 2 DAWS so far and I've had pretty good luck with AMD processors. The performance is good and they're cheaper than Intel.

The Dual CPU thing would also be nice but it'll obviously add to the expense.  And I honestly have no idea weather Cubase is smart enough to take advantage of multiple cpu's or not.

Good Luck,
Lou
Lou Silva

dcgzr

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2006, 03:56:39 AM »

Get a usb interface with direct monitoring. You can get something like an M-Audio for as little as $129.

theremin

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2006, 11:06:47 PM »

32bit processors and 32bit OS cant use more than 4GB of RAM so dont buy more than that in any case Razz, but 2GB should be enough for most applications, unless you are doing some heavy graphics probably.

lifted from an experts-exchange article:in 32-bit Windows:

4GB total virtual memory address space
2GB shared for the operating system.
2GB for each process.  (again, this is address space, not RAM.)

in 64 bit Edition:
16TB total virtual memory address space
8TB for the OS, shared.
8TB per process.

more than two processors wont do any good unless you have special programs optimized for multiple processors or can assign plug-ins to work on the second processor.  otherwise alot of programs just run on the one proc and you wouldnt see much performance increase.  not sure what version of CUBASE you have, but here is a good little bit of info on multi processor that might help you if you havent made this adjustment.

"With the previous multiprocessor scheme the maximum processing power available to the audio engine was 1 CPU, as the complete audio process could only exist on one or the other processor. Now the audio- processing load can be split much more evenly between the two processors. Still one processor is doing the MIDI, file handling and user interface, but its remaining processor bandwidth can be used to support audio tasks. You as a user only have to turn Advanced Multiprocessing on in the audio system set-up and forget it. We estimate that this new Multiprocessing scheme brings about a 50-60% increase in processing power over a standard single processor machine, and about 20-30% increase over previous multi-processor performance."

I like intel processors because they run cooler in my experience and require smaller(quieter) fans.  But AMDs might be better now, I havent used them in a couple years.

hope some of this is helpful Smile

S!
Jason
RecordingJunkie.com - User driven audio equipment library
Studio Search - Register so people can find your studio!

Max Ross

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2007, 02:14:34 PM »

Ok the new system is built with following:

>MOBO:ASUS P5B Deluxe Socket T (LGA 775)
>CPU:Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 Conroe
>RAM:x2 G.SKILL 2GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
>HDD: Western Digital Raptor X WD1500AHFD 150GB        
>CASE: Antec Performance I P180 Silver
>Video: Leadtek WinFast PX6600 TD DDR2 GeForce 6600 256MB
>Monitor: Hanns

thumpit

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2007, 03:08:05 PM »

I have a Creamware Scope card and if what you want is
no latency - direct monitoring
Killer synths
Absolute flexability with internal mixing (even software rewiring) than you should have a good look at this!
The card sounds great !!! has onboard DSP that allow you to use with synths or sound mixing/effects.
I will get an HD Protools system soon - BUT even then I will keep the SCOPE - it sounds great and it is the most dynamic card I have ever seen, you can automate every control in it, even mix your on stage monitoring as well as your PA at the same time...
and record the whole thing !!!!
Check it out. Laughing
http://scope.creamware.de/

thumpit

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2007, 03:10:19 PM »

I've forgot to mention, I have recoeded 16 tracks live with this setup !!!:
P4 1Ghz
1GB RAM
250GB WD Caviar
(Windows 98)
with no peroblems at all !!!

Max Ross

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2007, 12:35:04 AM »

What software do you use for recording, editing and mixing right now?

Fox

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2007, 04:12:07 PM »

If you're getting rid of the soundblaster, why not pick up a digi 001 off of ebay? they go for something like $150-250 these days and are still quite usable, despite what the marketing people might say.

You'd be getting 18 channel i/o up to 48kHz PLUS a version of ProTools, and it'll work with cubase so long as you're using the ASIO drivers (which you should use anyway.)

Really, it's a good bargain, much more bang for your buck than anything on m-audio's current line.

Good Luck!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.239 seconds with 22 queries.