R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: 24-bit it '256 times more accurate' than 16 Bit - Roger Nichols debunking?  (Read 20815 times)

UnderTow

Reuben Ghose wrote on Fri, 09 June 2006 17:35

Alistair,

Resolution is awesome IMO.  It's geared more towards experienced readers and has a lot of very useful information.

http://www.resolutionmag.com/

Cheers!
Reuben

Excellent! I'll check it out. Thanks for the tip.

Alistair

danlavry

Kraster said:
"It is curious to think that someone as undoubtedly talented as Roger Nichols would blow it by not researching his points more thoroughly. Not to mention the slack technical editorial line of the editors of SOS."

Undertow said:
"First, Mr. Nichols doesn't seem to bother doing much research as has been demonstrated by the article in question but also by other things he has written."

I say:
I would make those statements 1000000 stronger!

Phrases such as “did not research” or “did not bother to do research”  almost sound like what the article lacked was taking a few days to find some information on the Internet, or scan through a book or two.

I am of the opinion that a magazine inviting someone to write a technical article should invite a technical authority on the subject(s). One does not get there by doing a little research. Being an authority is a serious life time commitment. In electronics, it usually takes years of formal schooling, then years of hand on practice followed by much continued practice and learning. Being an authority takes much more an "average dedication" to the schooling and practice. It takes a relentless on going intense interest and focus, far beyond “getting by”.  

Again the word “do research” can be interpreted to mean “study a little”. I do not think it meets the appropriate standard.
A "guru of technical information" invited to write abut thir area in a magazine should know the fundumentals "like the back of his/her hand". That notion of "having to research" the fundumentals is really out of place.  

I designed electronics gear for medical equipment and the gear was to be used by neurologists. Does it qualify me to write an article about neurology or any medical issues? The answer is clearly “no”. Not even if I agree to research the subject. The magazine should find a world class doctor of that specialty for such article. You can be sure that a worth while medical magazine would do just that. Many audio magazines technical feature writing is done by the "highly un qualified"!

My statements are not specific to one magazine or another. Non of them were helpful in the argument against 192KHz. One would hope that the introduction of a new sample rate at X4 would call for a lot of interesting discussion, including the technical reasons for doing so, or not doing so. Most magazines did not want me to come near them within 1000 miles. I was told they did not want to piss off their advertisers at the time when 192KHz pushers were actively trying to paddle their stuff
(advertisement money). Who loss? The readership. That is until they wise up.

Regards
Dan Lavry
www.lavryengineering.com

Graham Jordan

UnderTow wrote on Sat, 10 June 2006 11:19

Someone using the name GJordan made a very nice and succinct analogy in that SOS thread: "I have a lot of respect for fighter pilots, but I'm not going to give much weight to their explanations of the nuts and bolts of aerodynamics."

In the interests of full disclosure to those here, GJordan on SOS is me, Graham Jordan. I'm not a regular at SOS at all, and only popped up there following this discussion.

Just in case any one had any problems with what 'GJordan' said over there, let me know too Smile

Graham

John Ivan

This kind of thing is why I don't read any of those rag's anymore. Tape-OP is great because they tend to focus on the user end of the gear a lot and the Human experience of recording audio.The music, the relationships and the "EAR" stuff as Dan say's.

If I want to understand something that is truly technical, I read things written by real Tech people and understand that no matter how much I read, I will only have a limited understanding thanks to my lack of theory chops.

I can't imagine writing a tech article!! I would gladly write about how I approach getting sounds or moving people to play a great performance or,, you get the idea.

I find what he's done to be offensive and unfair. If he wants to help people, why does he not focus on what he's good at??

It's pretty sad.
"Transformation is no easy trick: It's what art promises and usually doesn't deliver." Garrison Keillor

soundmind

I'm sad to find this.

Roger is a great audio engineer and has paid his dues.
I remember an article he wrote about all the stuff in his garage.
Cutting edge audio systems and computers that are now junk.
Spending tons of money and time to be state of the art.

He has made excellent recordings and has gracefully surfed the transition from analogue to digital.

I'd rather hear him talk about his recording philosophy.

If he doesn't have the technical expertise to do the EE thing, he should stop.

He does have tons of real world recording experience.

I would like to hear more from him about this.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 16 queries.