R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Vlado Meller joins Masterdisk  (Read 11561 times)

bblackwood

Vlado Meller joins Masterdisk
« on: May 11, 2011, 09:36:17 AM »

http://www.sonicscoop.com/2011/05/10/mastering-moves-vlado-meller-exits-universal-joins-masterdisk/

Big coup by Scott Hull here. I have to admit, I doubted Scott's sanity when he bought Masterdisk, but he's done a great job with it. Congrats to Scott and Vlado.
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

lowland

Re: Vlado Meller joins Masterdisk
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 10:04:53 AM »

What were the problems at the time of Scott's acquisition, would you say Brad? I don't know much about Masterdisk except that Bob Ludwig worked there quite some time ago!

Good to see Vlado carrying on, love what I've heard of his work away from the loudness wars.
Nigel Palmer
Lowland Masters
www.lowlandmasters.com

Allen Corneau

• Real Full Name: Allen Corneau
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 10:42:38 AM »

What were the problems at the time of Scott's acquisition, would you say Brad?

Scott posted up with some of the Masterdisk history on a recent GS thread that may shed some light. (Start at post #70 and read from there.)

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/mastering-forum/601990-howie-weinberg-mastering-snoop-doggs-winning-video-3.html#post6569678
Allen
=====
Allen Corneau Mastering
http://allencorneau.com/

lowland

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011, 11:08:28 AM »

Thanks Allen.

Chris Athens' assessment and Scott's follow-up post paint quite a picture, don't they? I've seen recording studios get that way but never a mastering room. Things must really have been allowed to slide, and the acumen to see something others haven't is quite a gift.

On the first episode of the current UK series of 'The Apprentice' last night, Lord Sugar mentioned that he could do something similar when visiting electronics factories - he's a dollar billionaire, so it hasn't apparently done him any harm.
Nigel Palmer
Lowland Masters
www.lowlandmasters.com

bblackwood

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 12:19:46 PM »

For me, it was two-fold:
1- the condition of Masterdisk at the time and
2- trying to build / rebuild a multi-room complex in Manhattan with the current state of the industry.

I honestly thought it was a mistake, but Scott has done it (and done well). Props to him and all involved.
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

Tim Boyce

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2011, 12:38:59 PM »

Thanks Brad. I'll forward this along to Scott : I bet it'll make him smile. :)

The man sure works hard to make it all happen!

And it's nice having Vlado around, real nice cat! lots of fun around here these days.

Greg Reierson

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2011, 09:35:15 PM »

Thanks Brad. I'll forward this along to Scott : I bet it'll make him smile. :)

Now all Scott needs is a Jerry Seinfeld style parking garage. That would really make him smile!

GR
Greg Reierson
Rare Form Mastering

Scott Hull

• Real Full Name: Scott Hull
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2011, 09:37:23 PM »

http://www.sonicscoop.com/2011/05/10/mastering-moves-vlado-meller-exits-universal-joins-masterdisk/

Big coup by Scott Hull here. I have to admit, I doubted Scott's sanity when he bought Masterdisk, but he's done a great job with it. Congrats to Scott and Vlado.

Thanks Brad,

It's been a hairy ride.  I doubt it's over.   
As it turns out i'm just dumb enough to think I can do anything :)

all the best,
Scott

Scott Hull

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2011, 09:40:21 PM »

Now all Scott needs is a Jerry Seinfeld style parking garage. That would really make him smile!

GR

you know it - Volvo only parking though.

bblackwood

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2011, 10:18:17 PM »

Thanks Brad,

It's been a hairy ride.  I doubt it's over.   
As it turns out i'm just dumb enough to think I can do anything :)

all the best,
Scott
Welcome, Scott.

I swear, you must clang when you walk.

Keep up the great work.
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

Allen Corneau

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2011, 01:22:26 PM »

I find this part very interesting...

"Anyone who has worked with Vlado in the past will be pleased to know that he brings his assistant engineer Mark Santangelo and booking manager Peter Cho into his new position. The three have worked as a team together for ten years."

I've never worked in this higher-end environment so I'm not sure how this works. Does Mark and Peter now work for Masterdisk (as a stipulation of Vlado's signing on with MD) or do they work directy for, and get paid by, Vlado?

Just curious, really.
Allen
=====
Allen Corneau Mastering

Scott Hull

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2011, 06:01:03 PM »

I've never worked in this higher-end environment so I'm not sure how this works. Does Mark and Peter now work for Masterdisk (as a stipulation of Vlado's signing on with MD) or do they work directy for, and get paid by, Vlado?

It's pretty simple.  To get the best use out of the expensive rooms, we use assistants to load in files, upload files, make edits, do quality control passes, make labels, make coffee etc..   So the main engineer stays busy mastering and making money while the rest of the work is managed by others.  I was Bob's assistant and kept an edit room busy all day and night to keep up with his eq work.

Their actual "deal" is a private matter, but it's not unusual for engineers to take their booking managers and assistants with them when they move. It helps keep the clients happy with the continuity from one studio to the next. 

Allen Corneau

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2011, 08:57:41 AM »

Thanks for the insight, Scott.

I wasn't looking for real dollar figures, just trying to understand the structure of such an arrangement.

Congratulations on doing so well!
Allen
=====
Allen Corneau Mastering

PBM

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2011, 04:06:16 AM »

It's pretty simple.  To get the best use out of the expensive rooms, we use assistants to load in files, upload files, make edits, do quality control passes, make labels, make coffee etc..   So the main engineer stays busy mastering and making money while the rest of the work is managed by others.  I was Bob's assistant and kept an edit room busy all day and night to keep up with his eq work.

Their actual "deal" is a private matter, but it's not unusual for engineers to take their booking managers and assistants with them when they move. It helps keep the clients happy with the continuity from one studio to the next.

Nice arrangement. The same seems to go through for other ancillary staff that make the mastering task easier. I know that growth over this past year is partly due to us now having a dedicated business manager who does the marketing, web stuff, finance, Companies House biz and all the rest. I get up every day and do mastering, and only mastering. It's very nice ...

Cheers,

Eric

Philosophers Barn Mastering
www.phibarnmastering.co.uk

Waltz Mastering

• Real Full Name: Tom Waltz
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2011, 01:23:04 PM »

Nice arrangement. The same seems to go through for other ancillary staff that make the mastering task easier. I know that growth over this past year is partly due to us now having a dedicated business manager who does the marketing, web stuff, finance, Companies House biz and all the rest. I get up every day and do mastering, and only mastering. It's very nice

Cheers,

Eric
In the respect of having a business manager...for un-attended sessions, do you communicate directly with the client at all as far as feedback etc. or is that channeled through the manager?

The reason I ask is,  one of the payoffs for me is getting the feedback first hand.

In a multi room facility, I can see the need for someone to control the traffic, run the books etc, but in a one room facility I see it more of a unique situation albeit still beneficial in some aspects.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 21 queries.