R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I'm hitting the road for ten days  (Read 4426 times)

electrical

I'm hitting the road for ten days
« on: June 01, 2006, 03:57:07 PM »

Hey everybody, I'm going to be on the road for the next ten days, so I will be even more slack-ass than usual about my moderating chores. I will try to check in once a day, but beyond that I have to trust all you people not to go crazy and throw a party or anything.

No girls in the house past curfew, okay? And I marked all the liquor bottles, so don't try anything.
best,

steve albini
Electrical Audio
sa at electrical dot com
www.electrical.com

TRA

Re: I'm hitting the road for ten days
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2006, 04:19:25 PM »

Marking the liquor bottles never worked.  I'd always fill the bottles back up with water.  I'm convinced that some of my friends parents liquor cabinets consisted strictly of water in vodka and schnapps bottles after they'd go out of town.  

Advice to the young sprouts out there....only drink the clear liquor because it's easier to get away with!  

Have fun on the road, Steve.....bring me back something French.  

Dan Kennedy

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2006, 10:06:50 PM »

Twisted Evil French?? How about something Navajo or Hopi instead?

iCombs

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2006, 12:56:09 PM »

therecordingart wrote on Thu, 01 June 2006 15:19

Marking the liquor bottles never worked.  I'd always fill the bottles back up with water.  I'm convinced that some of my friends parents liquor cabinets consisted strictly of water in vodka and schnapps bottles after they'd go out of town.  

Advice to the young sprouts out there....only drink the clear liquor because it's easier to get away with!  

Have fun on the road, Steve.....bring me back something French.  

Dude...you have probably seen Home Alone more times tham I have, and that's saying something...
Ian Combs
Producer/Engineer
Lightspeed Group, Inc.
----------------------
"Mista apareeatah... can I have maar beass at all frequencies?"

TRA

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2006, 11:12:50 AM »

Yeah,  I have about 800 VHS tapes that I acquired from my mom. (She was a Columbia House member from 1983 to 2002) Whenever my nephew comes to my house he watches Home Alone, and says that quote every time someone leaves.  Now he has his 3 year old sister saying it non-stop so it is now the thing to say.

electrical

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2006, 06:17:45 PM »

I'm Baa-aack.

I'll be catching up for a day or so and then watch out.
best,

steve albini
Electrical Audio
sa at electrical dot com
www.electrical.com

crm0922

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2006, 07:43:04 AM »

so do we get to know where you went, or does that necessitate killing the lot of us? Twisted Evil

Daniel Farris

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2006, 06:55:16 PM »

crm0922 wrote on Mon, 12 June 2006 12:43

so do we get to know where you went, or does that necessitate killing the lot of us? Twisted Evil

Shellac Does Europe 2006

I eagerly anticipate seeing them in my neighborhood.

DF

jimmyjazz

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2006, 02:52:17 PM »

crm0922 wrote on Mon, 12 June 2006 07:43

Sounds like the Austin show went well.  Sorry I missed it, Steve, but we're in the midst of a big move:

http://www.austin360.com/xl/content/arts/stories/xl/2006/06/ 15reviews.html

Quote:

Reviews

Shellac, 'Requiem,' 'A Place to Land,' 'Hold That Elevator,' Arctic Monkeys
Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Music

AS A MINIMALIST TRIO, SHELLAC SHINES

The 14-year-old Chicago band Shellac — guitarist Steve Albini, bassist Bob Weston and drummer Todd Trainer — has been referred to as a "minimalist rock trio." This means a couple of different things, and all of those meanings were on display at a sold-out Emo's show Friday night.

With his 1980s bands Big Black and Rapeman (the latter featuring former Austinites David Sims and Rey Washam), Albini was known for his devotion to noise. Guitars were overdriven and distorted to the point of sounding more like malfunctioning machine tools than musical instruments. Rhythms pounded and vocals were buried and obtuse. Nevertheless, Albini always retained a strong sense of riff and song.

In Shellac, silence, rests and smartly tweaked, almost proggy song structures are valued as much as feedback. Once a sonic maximalist, Albini now seems to prefer making the minimum amount of sound to get any given point across. Guitars are still distorted and still playing jagged riffs, but noise gating — a guitar effect — curtailed unwanted amp howl. Now, however, songs often stretch well beyond the three-minute mark, opening them up.

This minimalism also refers to how these veteran musicians do business. There was no guest list at Emo's on Friday (the band received all the money from ticket sales) and the band kept expenses low. The members handled the T-shirt sales themselves and loaded their own amps. Minimalist, professional and adult.

Oh, the music? Spectacular (or as one patron put it, "mathematically flawless"). This being its first time in Austin, the band hammered out old chestnuts, including the build-your-own-plane fantasy "Wingwalker," "Dog and Pony Show" and the sing-along breakup anthem "Prayer to God" ("There are two people here/ and I want you to kill them").

Weston, looking bored (or overheated), took questions from the audience (all of which were terrible) between songs. Trainer, making some of the ugliest song faces in the history of drummers, whacked with a hypnotic precision.

Unreleased gems included the chunky "Steady as She Goes" and "The End of Radio," a lament for the form that featured Albini turning a cell phone ad into a ode to transmission ("Can you hear me now?/ CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW?").

Minimal sound, maximum impact.

— Joe Gross

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.065 seconds with 20 queries.