R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: WUMP III - Already???  (Read 15905 times)

chrisj

Re: WUMP III - Already???
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2006, 08:40:13 PM »

Hey, let's hear YOUR take before you jump on Patrick. Be fair- I'm coming in louder than other entries so far (dammit, every time I TRY to do something I do too much of it, I need to remember to try to 'do' nothing) but I am very unhappy at the dirtier sound it took to do that.

So far both Ed and Hans are a LOT cleaner and more pretty sounding than me, which is annoying. I was actually trying on purpose to get a specific level of roar and pound and drive, which underscores what I said about trying to DO something instead of trying to do 'nothing' only louder- but now as usual I'm not happy about what I got because there are things others are doing that I feel I should be able to also do, only at that loudness.

No do-overs, just yet another learning experience Very Happy

If anyone DOES want stuff done at that ridiculous loudness they should say so quick because my software corrections to clean the tone up a bit will also cut back the sheer volume somewhat...

Oh, and somebody please do one at my loudness level only pristine and clean, so I can study it and learn how to do that. Please. *beg, grovel*  Laughing

Patrik T

« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2006, 02:49:44 AM »

NoWo wrote on Sun, 04 June 2006 23:23

Patrik T wrote on Sun, 04 June 2006 20:55

Good Loudness...an issue?..right...hmmm...last time I stood in front of a Numark DJ mixer it had all kinds of faders which seemed to work in all kinds of directions in very logical manners.

Hi Patrick,

of course loudness is an issue. It should run in discos and on air as Lagerfeldt said and as it is quite normal for nearly every track. You argued a lot about subtilities of sound during Womp 2, so why don

lagerfeldt

« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2006, 09:58:31 AM »

Loudness is an issue for a variety of reasons.

Least of which is airplay (quite often less is more on radio in terms of squashing).

One factor is of course volume on the dance floor, where some DJs push the faders and volume to the max, and then the only thing that can make something louder is the actual volume of the song. Even good DJs make this mistake (I've seen a few).

But the biggest factor in my opinion is the extreme competitiveness in the club genre. Most professional DJs get somewhere between 30 and 100 new singles each week, some they buy, most they get as promotion.

If the first 25 seconds don't sound loud and in their face, there's a risk that's the only 25 seconds they'll play of that song.

Take into account that the club genres are considered short lived type of music without lastering appeal and quickly changing fashions (production, sound choice, tempo, etc.), the listening fatigue syndrome that plagues so many other genres is not a big issue here.

@Patrik: Your link doesn't work..

Patrik T

« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2006, 12:46:50 PM »

Here's an alternative link for download of my take:

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&uf id=72C13E3B5558E661

Hi Lagerfeldt.

Quote:

One factor is of course volume on the dance floor, where some DJs push the faders and volume to the max, and then the only thing that can make something louder is the actual volume of the song. Even good DJs make this mistake (I've seen a few).

Or stretch out for the amplifier...Or change that amp into something with more watts if the loudness on the media is an issue....

I remember once when the level was quite steady, nice and dancable and when I did put on a new 12" which was cut very low. I ended up using the eq to amplify it since I did not want to ride the main fader at full gain because that crapped the shit out of the amp stages. It worked.

Quote:

If the first 25 seconds don't sound loud and in their face, there's a risk that's the only 25 seconds they'll play of that song.

I feel sorry for them. I have my club-roots in another culture where the in-your-face does not matter, the vibes and the sound are the thing. If the song is squashed, well then it does not rotate at all. Some names and labels are Moodymann, Recloose, Peaceforg, Planet E, Slip'n slide.

FWIW I levelled this take to the same level as an CD album by Blaze, if you know them (soul-fullish house).

NoWo

« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2006, 04:30:58 PM »

chrisj wrote on Mon, 05 June 2006 01:40

Hey, let's hear YOUR take before you jump on Patrick. Be fair- I'm coming in louder than other entries so ....

Hi chris,

how did you do this? I swear to God that when I saw Patricks answer on my post this morning yours was not there. Very strange.

BTW I am not jumping on Patrick. I see quite clear now that Patrick is more a DJ with a vinyl background than a masterer, he does his mastering as if he would use it for a set. So he needs more dynamic that he can blow through mega amplified speakers. But this whole thing deals with something different I fear.

You yourself have unfortunately overdone it Chris. The word loud doesn not mean "goin nuts" or "out of your mind" loudness. BTW this is more trance and that is not mastered that extremely loud, the vibe and groove is also important.

Maybe for the first time I will not be the loudest  Smile

Peace brothers, this is only a WOMP.

Norbert

P.S.: BTW Lagerfeldt is completely right about the first 30 sec.. Listen to other peoples music, more than often they start with a extremely loud special effect or a drum groove or something else, that is becoming quieter when the vocals start.

cerberus

« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2006, 04:54:26 PM »

coming soon to a wump near you...

index.php/fa/2913/0/

jeff dinces

Ged Leitch

« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2006, 04:59:59 PM »

Geez guys,

This is actually tougher for me than I thought it would be!

Dunno if i'm gonna submit mine...

I've got 2 that are passable, but then again...

I'm falling into the old "Use everything on it!" trap.

DAMN!
http://bitheadmastering.co.uk/

"...But I don't wanna be a pirate!"

NoWo

« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2006, 05:12:08 PM »

Yeah Ged,

it is not easy, one can spend a year with stuff like this.
But remember, you are not alone  Smile
Risk it, I will do the same  Very Happy
Just found out my 11th version is not bad.
Maybe I will buy me some Grados tomorrow before I link.

Norbert

NoWo

« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2006, 05:20:01 PM »

cerberus wrote on Mon, 05 June 2006 21:54

coming soon to a wump near you...

jeff dinces

Ehm Jeff,

Did you want to tell us something? Just curious...

Norbert

cerberus

« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2006, 05:25:28 PM »

yes norbert. use headphones at your own risk,  valium levels may be deceptive. permanent and irreversible damage to the auditory and nervous systems may result.

jeff dinces

Theory in Motion

« Reply #40 on: June 05, 2006, 05:26:12 PM »

Hi Guys,
So this is the first time I have posted anything for you to listen to.  I am a producer of electronic music and dabbl;e in doing preliminary Mastering of our tracks.  Mind you my studio isn't the greatest...bad monitors (I think  know how they translate, but we shall see) and mostly software.  here it goes.

http://www.tnmstudios.com/DjTeachMe.wav

Right click and chosse save target as: to download (if you have trouble)

Want to hear my production?

http://Http://www.myspace.com/theoryinmotion

-ryan curtright   aka dillin quent
-Dillin Quent ......Theory in Motion

Patrik T

« Reply #41 on: June 05, 2006, 05:41:09 PM »

NoWo wrote on Mon, 05 June 2006 21:30

BTW I am not jumping on Patrick. I see quite clear now that Patrick is more a DJ with a vinyl background than a masterer, he does his mastering as if he would use it for a set. So he needs more dynamic that he can blow through mega amplified speakers. But this whole thing deals with something different I fear.

Hohoho. I love this wump-thing. Whatta constructive mess we create, really. I love it.

By the way - why didn't you share your techniques of WUMP 2 with us Norbert? I thought that was a part of WUMP. I thought Brad mentioned it should be.

Vinyl background, well...What can suit vinyl, loudness-wise, can also sound pretty good when digital, loudnesswise.

I did my mastering with this in mind and only grabbed a few peaks with a lmiter (I do not like limiters and usually stay away from those suckers but did let that kind of "magic" through this time).

NoWo

« Reply #42 on: June 05, 2006, 06:45:22 PM »

cerberus wrote on Mon, 05 June 2006 22:25

yes norbert. use headphones at your own risk,  valium levels may be deceptive. permanent and irreversible damage to the auditory and nervous systems may result.

jeff dinces

Arrgghh,

a haf hused hadfones bevor n neeefr notiist eni deemech.

noberrtt

TotalSonic

« Reply #43 on: June 05, 2006, 07:31:55 PM »

Okey dokes -
here's my submission -

http://www.totalsonicmedia.com/wump3_sb.zip

I went for "competitive" level via clipping at the ADC only and then tamed the overs with the RML Labs Levelizer not really limiting at all to give it a little breathing room.  Probably could have gotten a little more level out of it but I think with this it's important to have the bottom end thumpin' and to not go beyond the point where the ratio of trade off of extra distortion vs. more average level really gets out of hand.

Haven't listened to anyone else's submissions yet - starting to download these now.

Fun tune! - much easier to deal with than WUMP 1 - (was busy during WUMP 2 so I missed it).

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Ed Littman

« Reply #44 on: June 05, 2006, 09:16:00 PM »

Theory in Motion wrote on Mon, 05 June 2006 17:26

Hi Guys,
So this is the first time I have posted anything for you to listen to.  I am a producer of electronic music and dabbl;e in doing preliminary Mastering of our tracks.  Mind you my studio isn't the greatest...bad monitors (I think  know how they translate, but we shall see) and mostly software.  here it goes.

http://www.tnmstudios.com/DjTeachMe.wav

Mastering is not just dealing with the sonic charicter, It's also making sure you deliver the final product in the correct format & speed. all files should be delivered at 16/44.1 & not 24/48 & sounding like your on speed  Surprised  Laughing Rolling Eyes I kinda like it though....
Ed
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Up