R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: After Murder Park  (Read 3655 times)

Rigby

After Murder Park
« on: May 31, 2006, 07:06:17 AM »

Hi Steve,

I'm a big fan of the Auteurs album you recorded, and would be most interested to hear any stories about the sessions. Was that the first time you'd used Abbey Road? And what did you do to the Hammond to make it sound so evil?

Sam

electrical

Re: After Murder Park
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2006, 03:35:36 PM »

I enjoyed making that album and admired the band.

This was the first time I had made an album at Abbey Road (I had mastered a few things there prior to that), and they were just about to replace the SSL in studio 2 with the Neve VR that is there now.

Abbey Road as an institution is very conscious and respectful of the association people make between the studio and the Beatles, and is circumspect and careful not to do anything to embarrass the band or its fans. That said, there is an awful lot of Beatles-specific paraphernalia there. While we were making the Auteurs record, there was some sort of big Beatles anniversary underway, and there were life-size cardboard cutouts of the Beatles in action poses in the storage closet, left-over from some shindig. One night, we put the big Beatles cut-outs in front of all the band's equipment and took photos of the Beatles playing as the Auteurs.

The next morning, Sir Paul McCartney came to the studio with his son, and wanted to show him around the old stomping grounds. He pushed the studio door open and peeked around the corner. When he saw that there was a band in the room, he said, "Hello cats! Mind if I show my son around?"

The punk in me wished I had thrown an ashtray at the door and shouted "We're working in here you old fraud!" But I'm glad I didn't.

The band said it was fine with them, and Sir Paul and his son went throught the door into the studio. Just then I remembered that we had set-up the big stupid cutouts of the Beatles with all the band's equipment the night before. A moment of panic ensued, because heads would certainly roll if Sir Paul thought the Beatles were being mocked. Luckily the studio assistant (a terrific guy named Paul Hicks) had the presence of mind to take them all down the night before.

I later got to introduce Luke Haines (the Auteur of the Auteurs) to Robert Plant on his birthday evening at a pub. After all Luke's rocker friends were suitably impressed, Robert said goodnight and left. While the table was ooh-ing and aah-ing about how thier friend rated a "happy birthday" from a famous person, one of the ladies at the table asked, "Was that Phil Lynott?" She had confused one of the most iconic figures in music for another one. One who was Irish, Black, and dead.

Luke has had several other interesting projects, the Baader Meinhof and Black Box Recorder, which I recommend.

As regards the organ, I believe it was a Korg fake Hammond with a Leslie preamp and cabinet, not a real Hammond. I didn't do anything special to it other than record it.
best,

steve albini
Electrical Audio
sa at electrical dot com
www.electrical.com

stevieeastend

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2006, 01:23:20 PM »

electrical wrote on Thu, 01 June 2006 20:35

I enjoyed making that album and admired the band.

This was the first time I had made an album at Abbey Road (I had mastered a few things there prior to that), and they were just about to replace the SSL in studio 2 with the Neve VR that is there now.

Abbey Road as an institution is very conscious and respectful of the association people make between the studio and the Beatles, and is circumspect and careful not to do anything to embarrass the band or its fans. That said, there is an awful lot of Beatles-specific paraphernalia there. While we were making the Auteurs record, there was some sort of big Beatles anniversary underway, and there were life-size cardboard cutouts of the Beatles in action poses in the storage closet, left-over from some shindig. One night, we put the big Beatles cut-outs in front of all the band's equipment and took photos of the Beatles playing as the Auteurs.

The next morning, Sir Paul McCartney came to the studio with his son, and wanted to show him around the old stomping grounds. He pushed the studio door open and peeked around the corner. When he saw that there was a band in the room, he said, "Hello cats! Mind if I show my son around?"

The punk in me wished I had thrown an ashtray at the door and shouted "We're working in here you old fraud!" But I'm glad I didn't.

The band said it was fine with them, and Sir Paul and his son went throught the door into the studio. Just then I remembered that we had set-up the big stupid cutouts of the Beatles with all the band's equipment the night before. A moment of panic ensued, because heads would certainly roll if Sir Paul thought the Beatles were being mocked. Luckily the studio assistant (a terrific guy named Paul Hicks) had the presence of mind to take them all down the night before.

I later got to introduce Luke Haines (the Auteur of the Auteurs) to Robert Plant on his birthday evening at a pub. After all Luke's rocker friends were suitably impressed, Robert said goodnight and left. While the table was ooh-ing and aah-ing about how thier friend rated a "happy birthday" from a famous person, one of the ladies at the table asked, "Was that Phil Lynott?" She had confused one of the most iconic figures in music for another one. One who was Irish, Black, and dead.

Luke has had several other interesting projects, the Baader Meinhof and Black Box Recorder, which I recommend.

As regards the organ, I believe it was a Korg fake Hammond with a Leslie preamp and cabinet, not a real Hammond. I didn't do anything special to it other than record it.

Awesome story, thanks for sharing!!!

Although I feel a little offended that somebody would call any project "Baader Meinhof" as this was the name of one of the worst terror gangs in germany during the 70ies. Very strange and kind of sad IMO...

cheers
steveeastend

Lars Ekman

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2006, 02:03:20 PM »

Quote:

Although I feel a little offended that somebody would call any project "Baader Meinhof" as this was the name of one of the worst terror gangs in germany during the 70ies. Very strange and kind of sad IMO...

Hahahahahaa!!!!

Are you serious? That's the funniest paragraph I've read in a very, very long time. Truly, that is some funny writing right there.

It's not only funny that you're offended by the band name, but also that you're taking the time to explain to the reader who Baader Meinhof were. So funny!

Unless you were personally related to a victim of Baader Meinhof, you've got some serious explaining to do. But even then, I find it extremely fascinating that someone is actually offended by a band name. Especially when it's so blatantly obvious the band is named for shock value, cultural reference or artistic reasons (and most certainly not for support of violence).

Just out of curiosity, what do you think about the band names Joy Division and The Brian Jonestown Massacre? Do these names offend you as well? Do you find them... "kind of sad"?

stevieeastend

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2006, 02:15:09 PM »

Offended is maybe the wrong word...

but I reckon that there`s definitely a certainly line one should not cross.
Would you also find it ok if somebody would call his project "The Dutroux gang" (I think you certainly know who that was"). To me there is a huge difference of names like "Killing Joke", "Iron Maiden" etc. where the intention is pretty obvious... entertainment.  In any way it?s a matter of taste and in some way somebody will find it sad, because he knows exactly what Baader Meinhof did, as I do.

So if this may satisfy your curiosity and let you accept my point of view...

cheers
steveeastend

MB

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2006, 01:52:01 AM »

Luke Haines is a well know misanthrope and professional contrarian.

Expressing shock about a band name 30 years after postmodernism and 30 years after punk is indeed odd. For postmodernism the crossed line is the whole point and is an art object unto itself, and for punk that there was no line in the first place and fuck off you twat*.

*not literally you, suspected literalist, steveeastend.

stevieeastend

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2006, 04:37:00 AM »

I understand your point of view, but mine is different. For sure with this particular name..

cheers
steveeastend

sdOK

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2006, 05:53:38 AM »

Er no one gonna mention RAPEMAN?

James Perrett

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2006, 09:26:22 AM »

Finally I can say that I've worked with someone in common with Steve - The Auteurs rehearsed at our place a few times when they were just starting out. I guess I ought to add that my role was limited to opening up the studio and making sure that the PA was working so "working with" is possibly stretching things a little!

Cheers

James.
James Perrett - JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration.
http://www.jrpmusic.net

Rigby

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2006, 12:05:39 PM »

Steve,

(Belated) thanks for the info -- that's a great story.

Luke Haines has made a lot of interesting records, and After Murder Park and Baader Meinhof are both fantastic albums. Though anyone who's shocked by the name Baader Meinhof probably shouldn't listen to 'Unsolved Child Murder'.

Apparently his latest project is a West End musical...

Sam
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 21 queries.