R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Sample Rate Conversion for Mac  (Read 15854 times)

Peter Beckmann

Re: Sample Rate Conversion for Mac
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2007, 01:47:43 PM »

Jerry Tubb wrote on Thu, 22 March 2007 17:21

Just thought I'd mention there's a new update for Barbabatch - v.4.0.36.

http://www.audioease.com/Pages/BarbaBatch4/versionhistory.ht ml

I discovered it yesterday, was still using v4.0.29 from last year.

JT

Thanks Jerry

Another Barbabatch user here since way way back. A really useful piece of software, sounds good and plus, the customer support has always been incredible.
How will the laid back Dutchmen fare head to head with the Swiss?
Bring on the battle of the SRCs!

PB
Peter Beckmann
Technologyworks
http://www.technologyworks.co.uk

Matt_G

« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2007, 10:51:41 AM »

Jerry Tubb wrote on Fri, 23 March 2007 03:21

Just thought I'd mention there's a new update for Barbabatch - v.4.0.36.

http://www.audioease.com/Pages/BarbaBatch4/versionhistory.ht ml

I discovered it yesterday, was still using v4.0.29 from last year.

JT

Yes I regularly visit to check on updates, I'm dissapointed that since this thread started there is still no sign of a 64bit SRC from Audioease.

It's also good to mention WaveEditor & SampleManager from audiofile engineering as a serious contender for no.1 SRC on the mac platform as it uses iZotope's 64bit SRC which is technically close to perfect. Audiofile Engineering also has plans to include all the options for the iZotope SRC for manual adjustments of the filters, slopes, pre-ringing etc.

The other good thing is that they are a lot cheaper then any of the competition & the customer service is 2nd to none, I get bug fixes & feature updates within 24hours most times Smile

Matt
Matthew Gray Mastering

Brisbane Australia

Ralf Kleemann

« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2007, 12:21:42 PM »

Sample Manager 3 is currently on a 70$ offer. I got mine yesterday. Even if you just buy it for the batch processing, e. g. for mass-joining split stereo files, I think it's totally worth it. Together with Automator, you can build droplets that perform a specific task, which can save quite a bit of time.

http://www.audiofile-engineering.com/sample_manager.php

I'm not affiliated with the developer in any way.

Best regards,
Ralf

Matt_G

« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2007, 08:37:22 PM »

Ralf Kleemann wrote on Wed, 28 March 2007 02:21

Sample Manager 3 is currently on a 70$ offer. I got mine yesterday. Even if you just buy it for the batch processing, e. g. for mass-joining split stereo files, I think it's totally worth it. Together with Automator, you can build droplets that perform a specific task, which can save quite a bit of time.

http://www.audiofile-engineering.com/sample_manager.php

I'm not affiliated with the developer in any way.

Best regards,
Ralf

I got my copy for $45, if you have a competing product such as Barbabatch or Peak they will give it to you for $45. In my opinion SampleManager is heaps better then Barbabatch in terms of SRC quality & the flexibility of the processing. It's an absolute must for mac users at this price. I'm not affiliated with them either, just sharing my experience with the other Mac users out there.

https://www.audiofile-engineering.com/shop/compUpgrades.php
https://www.audiofile-engineering.com/shop/eligibility.php

Matt
Matthew Gray Mastering

Brisbane Australia

minister

« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2007, 11:21:51 PM »

Matt_G wrote on Tue, 27 March 2007 19:37

I got my copy for $45, if you have a competing product such as Barbabatch or Peak they will give it to you for $45. In my opinion SampleManager is heaps better then Barbabatch in terms of SRC quality & the flexibility of the processing.

Seriously?  Heaps better?  BB is pretty good.

did you do a side by side comparison on the same file?

can you post or e-mail identical short clips?
tom hambleton C.A.S.
minister of fancy noises
ministry of fancy noises

IMDb

Barry Hufker

« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2007, 12:35:19 AM »

I went back and re-read this thread in its entirety.  I saw how strongly I pushed Barbabatch, which I still think to be a fine program.  I have to say at this point tho' that Peak 5 at its best setting sounds better to me than Barbabatch.  It doesn't have the "grain" or "color" someone mentioned earlier.  It is quite a good sound no matter what the graph shows (at whatever site that was).

It is painfully slow but I start it and have it cook overnight so it's ready in the morning.  Did I mention the quality is *really* good and I have been a huge Peak critic (and owner) for years.

Barry

Jerry Tubb

« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2007, 01:20:18 AM »

Barry Hufker wrote on Tue, 27 March 2007 23:35

It is painfully slow but I start it and have it cook overnight so it's ready in the morning.

Hey Barry,

I agree Peak 5 (level 5) SRC sounds really good, but the fact that is sooo sloooow totally disqualifies it for me. I usually don't have the luxury of leaving it to crunch overnight, usually the producer wants to take a ref disc that same day.

Its amazing to me that Peaks' SRC takes that long on a dual processor G5... what, 20 minutes per song? There's some serious number crunchin' power happening with a G5, leads me to wonder what's up with Peak, does anything else including Weiss take that long?

Anyway I'm still a fan of BarbaBatch, don't hear any grainy-ness happening there, although a slight but acceptable color change is evident.

Found Matt Gs' comments interesting regarding Sample Manager 3.

JT
Terra Nova Mastering
Celebrating 20 years of Mastering!

Matt_G

« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2007, 03:51:06 AM »

minister wrote on Wed, 28 March 2007 13:21

Matt_G wrote on Tue, 27 March 2007 19:37

I got my copy for $45, if you have a competing product such as Barbabatch or Peak they will give it to you for $45. In my opinion SampleManager is heaps better then Barbabatch in terms of SRC quality & the flexibility of the processing.

Seriously?  Heaps better?  BB is pretty good.

did you do a side by side comparison on the same file?

can you post or e-mail identical short clips?

Hey Tom, you don't have to take my word for it just download the SampleManager demo & try it out for yourself. I've used  Barbabatch for years & when I bought it there wasn't a whole lot of options available on the Mac in terms of batch conversion or quality SRC. Unfortunately for Audioease they haven't been keeping Barbabatch up to date with the competition lately. All the best software SRC's seem to be using 64bit precision these days such as Weiss Saracon & iZotope's SRC.

Matt
Matthew Gray Mastering

Brisbane Australia

Andy Krehm

« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2007, 11:58:50 AM »

Jerry Tubb wrote on Wed, 28 March 2007 01:20

Barry Hufker wrote on Tue, 27 March 2007 23:35

It is painfully slow but I start it and have it cook overnight so it's ready in the morning.

Hey Barry,

I agree Peak 5 (level 5) SRC sounds really good, but the fact that is sooo sloooow totally disqualifies it for me. I usually don't have the luxury of leaving it to crunch overnight, usually the producer wants to take a ref disc that same day.

Its amazing to me that Peaks' SRC takes that long on a dual processor G5... what, 20 minutes per song? There's some serious number crunchin' power happening with a G5, leads me to wonder what's up with Peak, does anything else including Weiss take that long?

Anyway I'm still a fan of BarbaBatch, don't hear any grainy-ness happening there, although a slight but acceptable color change is evident.

Found Matt Gs' comments interesting regarding Sample Manager 3.

JT

Hey JT:

I'm testing Weiss Saracon and I just timed a 96k to 44.1 k conversion of a SD2 split file at 61.2 MB each side and it took 5.5 minutes.

I usually convert one file while working on another so this is not a problem and of course a 48 to 44.1 conversion averages out at less than 2 min.

I checked Saracon vs PTs vs. Wave Editor and be honest, I didn't find a really clear cut winner in every case. In fact, one song would seem to sound "better" with one SRC and then a different song sounded "better" with another SRC.

Unfortunately I don't have the time for really exhaustive testing, nor the interest really, b/c they were generally so close. My tests were a couple of months ago but I think I liked the Saracon more times than PTs but surprisingly, PTs was very close (and a lot faster)! Unfortunately my demo of Wave Editor expired before I could use it as much but I still have the same conclusion in that it wasn't remarkably better or worse.

Wave Editor also seemed to have more steps than PTs or Saracon which makes it a little more cumbersome to use but its also seems more flexible and I noticed that it has more functions that might come in handy.

Daniel Weiss said he is considering having a lower priced version without the DSD (I hope he doesn't mind me mentioned this) and if this is the case, I'll probably go with Saracon for my software SRC.

cerberus

« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2007, 01:19:38 PM »

i'm considering peak just for src; good things come to those who wait.

jeff dinces

jdg

« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2007, 01:31:11 PM »

the peak src SCREAMS on my macbook pro... but drags on my G5!
i've started transfering the files over to my mbp to src in peak, and then xfering them back to the G5 for sequencing.

i haven't done any offical benchmarks.
but about 20min per track on my G5
and about 35min for the whole album on my macbook pro.
john mcCaig
-Mothery Earworks Clarifold Audipure

Bob Boyd

« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2007, 01:30:53 AM »

Andy Krehm wrote on Wed, 28 March 2007 10:58

I'm testing Weiss Saracon and I just timed a 96k to 44.1 k conversion of a SD2 split file at 61.2 MB each side and it took 5.5 minutes.

I had this happen when I first tried Saracon too.  You need to increase the buffers in the Preferences panel.  The manual mentions this but may not stress it's importance.

The optimal settings will vary from computer to computer but try opening the first buffer all the way and the second one about 3/4. (I'm away from my studio computer so I don't remember what the faders are labeled.)

On my Dual 2.7 G5, a STEREO file going from 88.2k to 44.1/24 with pow-r will (at it slowest!) be over 2x realtime.  Expect much faster results on the whole.
Bob Boyd
ambientdigital, Houston

http://ambientdigital.com
http://myspace.com/ambientdigital

Twitter: @bobboyd

Look, I know it's mean.  But sometimes the end justifies the mean.

Bob Boyd

« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2007, 01:33:28 AM »

Andy, make sure you download the new version 1.5 build of Saracon.  It intelligently handles stereo files on input and output and is more fluid.  It was just announced a couple of days ago.
Bob Boyd
ambientdigital, Houston

http://ambientdigital.com
http://myspace.com/ambientdigital

Twitter: @bobboyd

Look, I know it's mean.  But sometimes the end justifies the mean.

bigaudioblowhard

« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2007, 02:23:12 AM »

Daniel Weiss wrote on Mon, 29 May 2006 14:48

Not quite done yet with the mac version. But it is progressing well.
Daniel

At the bottom of your web page for Saracon, you claim to prefer the hardware unit.

Could you please breifly explain why?

bab

Matt_G

« Reply #44 on: March 29, 2007, 02:55:52 AM »

cerberus wrote on Thu, 29 March 2007 03:19

i'm considering peak just for src; good things come to those who wait.

jeff dinces

Why??! I mean why waste $599 on a product that takes 45mins to SRC a 3 minute file when the quality is no better then the iZotope 64bit SRC in SampleManager which can process the same file in 5mins  at a cost of $70?

I've used Peak in the past & I've never trusted it's sonic integrity as an audio editor, not to mention the endless bugs. Now that they release a decent SRC in version 5 everyone thinks it's great. I don't get it... Do yourself a favour & check out WaveEditor (2 track editor) or SampleManager (batch convertor). This is a company that has their head in the right place, excellent support, excellent products, excellent quality & excellent pricing.

Ok I'll get off my soap box now...  Smile

Matt
Matthew Gray Mastering

Brisbane Australia
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 20 queries.