R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Acon StudioClean Declipper  (Read 4661 times)

carlsaff

Acon StudioClean Declipper
« on: February 11, 2007, 11:15:12 PM »

http://www.acondigital.com/us_StudioClean.html

Decided to try this, as I was pulling my hair out trying to fix some mild clipping in an otherwise lovely-sounding acoustic recording. This declipper is extremely functional. The whole bundle is $69... worth it for the declipper alone (I haven't had any time to mess with the rest of the bundle yet... tried the declipper and bought the bundle immediately).

Worth trying if you can run DX plugs and have been wanting a nice declipper. I'm shocked how well it's working. Have no idea how well it would work on something truly damaged, though (like a heavily clipped rock mix).

TotalSonic

Re: Acon StudioClean Declipper
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2007, 12:03:32 AM »

Carl -
Thanks much for the heads up on this - just downloaded the demo and looking forward to testing this one out.  I'm always on the look out for inexpensive restoration packages to see how they fair  against the Sony and Virtos stuff I already have.  Having more options especially on the cheap is always welcome!

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Oldfart

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2007, 02:45:10 AM »

Well,
  I guess I'll give it a listen as well.

Thanks for the heads up.

Oldfart
Denis Paquette

TotalSonic

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2007, 07:46:14 PM »

Just tested the DeNoiser and for this specific track I had lots of broadband noise on it worked out better (i.e. less artifacts with just as effective reduction) than either of the older DX plugins I have - Sony NR2 and Virtos Noise Wizard.  Works great and seems stable in SAWStudio and uses a reasonable amount of cpu - the guy just got my $69 just for that.  Looking forward to testing the other 3 plugins out - particularly the DeClicker.  Frankly the Sony activation scheme annoys me so I've been trying to find a substitute that works just as well for their click/crackle remover for a while - so hoping that this also is good on the Acon - I'll post on my results after I get done testing.

Thanks again for the heads up on this!

Best regards,
Steve Berson

carlsaff

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2007, 08:09:14 PM »

No problem! The declipper really saved the day on that job a couple days back.

Tomás Mulcahy

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2007, 01:07:59 PM »

Great, thanks for that Carl. This is the kind of stuff that makes me want to move from Mac to PC. Currently I have a PC to run Wavelab and Plextools.

TotalSonic

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2007, 04:21:03 PM »

OK -
I've tested everything except for the high harmonics enhancer and it all works great - this is "real deal" stuff at a bargain price!

Carl -
You're right - this DeClipper is pretty remarkable - I had actual occasion to useit in a recent job for a live to DAT recording of accapella Gospel recorded in various churches and homes in Como, Mississippi - pretty amazing performances - but a couple tracks were marred by a few spots of distortion from clipping. The DeClipper actually did an amazing job of fixing some of this - particularly in a place that would have taken easily an hour to redraw. Cool stuff.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

carlsaff

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2007, 05:34:29 PM »

I love the declipper, but sadly learned it does NOT work well as an off-line process in Nuendo -- it distorts the output after rendering.

No biggie. I'll just run it in real-time or apply it in another editor (Adobe Audition, probably), but I was surprised by the buggy output.

Glad you like it, Steve!

mcsnare

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2007, 10:58:17 PM »

I used the harmonic thingy today. It was just what the doctor ordered on this low fi project. The music was recorded to tape and the mixes are VERY dark. I could only use so much eq before tape hiss became a real problem. When I tried the harmonic plug, I was able to bring out some nice detail without the hiss, because of the dynamic nature of the harmonic generator. Nice!
Dave

TotalSonic

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2007, 11:17:25 PM »

carlsaff wrote on Thu, 22 February 2007 17:34

I love the declipper, but sadly learned it does NOT work well as an off-line process in Nuendo -- it distorts the output after rendering.

Interesting - seems this is a Nuendo bug and not an Acon one as it renders as it sounds during playback in SAWStudio.

The Acon Pitch shift plugin will crash SAW when you attempt to pitch down though - but so far all of the Studio Clean bundle plugins seem to work well over here.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

carlsaff

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2007, 10:48:01 AM »

Yeah, think it's a Nuendo/DX/offline bug that is already known. Not a huge deal. Nuendo will render the audio fine when the plug is used as an insert. Offline processing is a bit different in Nuendo than project rendering, tho.

yeloocproducer

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2007, 03:42:03 PM »

Just curious... does this Acon stuff compare well to the sony or waves de-noise/ de-clicking?

TotalSonic

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2007, 10:41:41 AM »

yeloocproducer wrote on Tue, 10 April 2007 15:42

Just curious... does this Acon stuff compare well to the sony or waves de-noise/ de-clicking?

It compares very well to Waves X-noise - in fact the Acon plugs give superior sounding resuls in many cases.  I have not yet tried out Waves Z-noise so I have no idea how it compares.

It also compares very well to the Sony NR2.0 DX suite and again actually performs better in many cases.  I have not tried out Sony's newer TDM denoiser plugins though.

Best regards,
Steve Berson
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 22 queries.