R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: power amps  (Read 21436 times)

Thomas W. Bethel

Re: power amps
« Reply #45 on: June 12, 2006, 08:06:48 AM »

Maybe it is the store/speaker combo where I listen to equipment but the Adcom amps always sound a bit hard and or brittle in the top end. The McIntosh amps with the same store/speaker interface have a very nice sound to them. I have never heard a Pass amplifier but am told by people that know what they are talking about that it is a GREAT amplifier. I use to think the Carver amplifiers (before they were made offshore) was a very good sounding very reliable amplifier but I just heard one of the off shore variety and was shocked at how much the sound had degraded. OTOH Carver's Sunfire amplifiers sound good and have received a lot of good press. Hafler amplifiers have alway been a middle of the road amplifier neither sounding really GREAT or really BAD but just doing their job day in and day out. There are so many really good amplifiers out today that you almost have too many to chose from and what ever amplifier you chose it would be best if you could take it home and listen to it on your speakers in your room for a week at least before you commit to purchasing something you will later learn to hate. A lot of amplifiers need to "burn in" and reach operating temperature and stabilize and with the energy crunch a lot of hi fi stores are leaving their equipment off until the potential buyer wants to listen to them so some decisions made in a store will be suspect when you really get to listen to the amplifier in your own surroundings. Also the amplifier/speaker interface can materially change the sound so it is a good idea to listen to the amplifier on your own speakers and not rely on something you unfamiliar with in the store.

MTCW
-TOM-

Thomas W. Bethel
Managing Director
Acoustik Musik, Ltd.
Room With a View Productions
http://www.acoustikmusik.com/

Doing what you love is freedom.
Loving what you do is happiness.

ak

« Reply #46 on: June 12, 2006, 02:27:05 PM »

Hi,

some useful information and some confusing regarding the amps.

if you speek about "brand x" Amps compared to "Brand Y" please
don´t forget the modell number. Also Branx X modell 555 compared to an Amp of Brand Y doesent help much.
Because every model seems to be different. Every Manufactured did some good and a lot of poor sounding amps. Laughing

greetings

andreas

mrDremboi

« Reply #47 on: February 09, 2007, 05:45:31 AM »

As a MacIntosh fan, I suggest that you go for the MC252 amplifier system.

ilikeitloud

« Reply #48 on: February 11, 2007, 09:27:44 PM »

I own a McIntosh MC252 and I absolutely love it. I suggest you try this one.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.074 seconds with 16 queries.