R/E/P > j.hall

IMP 25 discussion thread

<< < (4/4)

j.hall:

--- Quote from: NYC260 on May 06, 2011, 08:35:44 PM ---J.Hall:  your "not much compression" critique...can you clarify?  Cause, if you mean "master brick wall make it loud" compression it would be because I didn't use any.  I generally prefer not to.  But I'd like to hear more of what you mean 'cause I may have used more compression in other areas than you think!

--- End quote ---

i don't use L2 or anything like that.  i'm talking about overall compression within and on the mix.  i just got a general sense that your mix wasn't really "glued" together all that well.  there isn't anything wrong with that.  i tend to like aggressive sounding mixes.  so color my comments with that knowledge.

hope that helps.

colinl:

--- Quote from: j.hall on May 13, 2011, 10:54:24 AM ---yeah, i got rid of that guitar track.  too messy, just sucked the mix down, and was really distracting to me.

layered guitar sound?  didn't i just pan them out and crank em up?

vox FX moves between three different things.  verb, delay and pitch shifting.  it's also typical for me to have a fourth, distortion.

if you can get more specific i'm sure my answers will as well.

--- End quote ---

ah, I thought I heard a delay or something that made the guitars sound 3D...  maybe I was just high

I am interested in how you EQ'd the guitars.. they retain a glossy edge without being harsh..  they're present but they have a space in the mix, not just slammed in your face.

I heard the verb and delay on vox, where did the pitch shifting come in? 

j.hall:

--- Quote from: colinl on May 13, 2011, 06:53:49 PM ---ah, I thought I heard a delay or something that made the guitars sound 3D...  maybe I was just high

I am interested in how you EQ'd the guitars.. they retain a glossy edge without being harsh..  they're present but they have a space in the mix, not just slammed in your face.

I heard the verb and delay on vox, where did the pitch shifting come in?

--- End quote ---

i did add some delay to one track, to give it more space and depth.

let me look at my mix before i comment on the EQ thing, and the vocal fx.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version