R/E/P > j.hall

IMP 25 discussion thread

(1/4) > >>

j.hall:
chat it up in here.  i'll start listening to mixes in a minute.

j.hall:
i hate reviewing the mixes.  makes me feel like an ass.  but whatever, here goes.  just my opinions.....

ITB

drums feel a bit too distant or my taste, but nothing really wrong with it.  the kick is really big in the lowend, maybe too big.  and lacks any real definition.  it's clearly there though.  toms don't match kick and snare.  pretty good mix.  my only real complaint is the vocal feels too quiet.  it's an indie rock type band, so mixing the vocal back is probably genre appropriate. 

NYC260

i like the drums.  nice vocal too.  guitars seem back to me. if you jammed the guitars up with the drums this would rock (IMO).  toms are tucked back a bit as well.  doesn't sound like you have much compression going on.  which isn't a bad thing at all.  in fact, i think it feels good.  something way high up in the overheads is harsh to me.  i think i remember fighting this in my mix as well.

MoreSpaceEcho

tremelo on the bass.....interesting.  guitar tones are really good.  drums seem a bit weak compared to everything else.  vocal feels good as well.  where are the toms?

mplancke

i like the "glitching" guitar thing at the top.  do you have miss fires on your snare sample?  flanger?  man those guitars are so wide, that's cool.  lowend could be bigger overall.  how did you create the vocal harmonies?  nice touch.  you should have edited the vocal tracks, i can hear lip smacks and awkward breathing in between lines.  some weird edits on the drums.  intentional i'm sure, just not my bag.  i like most all of your vocal treatments.  good vibe.

cmikk

wrong sample rate.  pretty sure the correct one was posted.  regardless.  pretty good mix.

Big Chief Awesome

feels really mono.  vocal at top is a decent way to get some vocals sooner.  with it this mono, it's hard to really pick through it.  snare is really loud.  vocal needs to be edited.  i can hear lip smacks and breathing in weird places.  lowend is light overall, IMO.

Duke

another mono mix.  low mids are a bit muddy, which sucks down the clarity of the mix.it's hard to sift through it when it's mono.  vocals feel good.  drums sound wierd, but that's probably cause the rooms are summed mono.

Graham Duncan

nice balances at the top.  feels light in the bottom end overall.  but the balances are solid.  vocal has a delicate feel, that's nice.  finally, a mix where i can hear the toms.  once the band gets "big", the vocal gets buried a bit, not bad though.  good mix.

colinl

kinda cheating, but that's not the point!  best bass guitar tone yet.  i'd like to hear the kick have more "ass" to match the bass.  if you mixed it analog, you should do "window" mutes on the vocal to get rid of the lip smacks.  more toms!  let those things rage.....

Billybehdaz

interesting drums.  haven't heard that yet.  i'm losing the bass guitar a bit, but not bad.  cool toms!.  this is a good mix.

southboundloco

rhythm sections rules.  bass is with the kick perfectly.  nice samples.  they fit the rooms and overheads well.  nice mix

mcsnare

love the rich echoboy.  deep bass!!!  my room is shaking in all the right ways.  kick seems a bit pointy until the guitars get bigger.  solid mix as usual!

i'll do some more in the next few days.

colinl:
here's my first round of critiques.. I'd do em all now but the bulls game is on in less than an hour and priorities happened :D

in order of submission...

jhall: kick sounds almost too good for the rest of the tracks haha.. did you mix some samples in?  once the gtrs get loud it mixes in fine but it sound out of place in the first verse to me at least..  I can't hear the lead guitar anywhere past the first verse, but it seems like an intentional arrangement decision, am I right?  Everything else is great.. would you mind explaining some of the mindset behind that cool layered guitar sound?  love the vox fx as well.

ITB: lead gtr is too quiet, but maybe people just didn't like the part :D  I hear something "woofy" in the low end, but can't tell what it is.  other than everything sounds fine to me

NYC260:  sounds like the bass, drums, and vox are having a party and the gtrs weren't invited.  crank em up! 

MoreSpaceEcho:  did the intro make you fall asleep? :D  wobbly bass could be really cool if timed a bit better, I really like the "boost" the mix gets when you enter the 1st chorus.  everything sounds nice and balanced.  neat reverb on the toms of the dropout part, but could maybe use some tweaking?  I bet I'm going to hear lots of "mix tricks" for that dropout part as I listen to these

mplancke:  whoa, sounds like you turned the kick into another snare?  not sure what to think of that one :D  I think I can hear vocal tuning..  I really like the harmonies you put in, mind explaining how you did them?  and I like the verb'd out bgv. 

cmikk:  I always wondered what we'd sound like as a slowcore band...

Big Chief Awesome:  another one who altered the intro.. maybe we should rewrite that haha...  balance sounds pretty good overall, but its maybe a little dull at the top and light at the bottom.  panning is for sissies right?!  I like the gtr fade at the dropout part.  and the verb'd out refrain is a nice touch!

Duke:  rhythm guitar is way quiet for my taste, and the vocal seems a little hot.  I hear some things collapse when I listen in mono but it does sound very narrow.  I like the vocal echo a lot but it needs to come down a little in volume. 

alright, bulls game is on.  I'll try to get back to this tonight

NYC260:
J.Hall:  your "not much compression" critique...can you clarify?  Cause, if you mean "master brick wall make it loud" compression it would be because I didn't use any.  I generally prefer not to.  But I'd like to hear more of what you mean 'cause I may have used more compression in other areas than you think!

Colini:  love the party comment..funny!  And it also made me feel like the time I spent on the drums, etc, was well spent.  I'll have to make another mix w/ the gtrs louder and PM it to you. 

All told...thanks for the comments/critique/compliments. 

BC

mplancke:

--- Quote from: j.hall on May 06, 2011, 03:26:23 PM ---mplancke

i like the "glitching" guitar thing at the top.  do you have miss fires on your snare sample?  flanger?  man those guitars are so wide, that's cool.  lowend could be bigger overall.  how did you create the vocal harmonies?  nice touch.  you should have edited the vocal tracks, i can hear lip smacks and awkward breathing in between lines.  some weird edits on the drums.  intentional i'm sure, just not my bag.  i like most all of your vocal treatments.  good vibe.

--- End quote ---

Vocal harmonies were done in Melodyne.

I don't mind the exaggerated breathing/mouth noises, I think it adds drama.

Drum edits were intentional, snare misfires have been corrected and MP3 reupload.

http://sharktankpro.com/IMP/ST_IMP_Master.mp3

Mark

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version