R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Archival" CD images  (Read 1571 times)

Fifthcircle

"Archival" CD images
« on: May 25, 2006, 01:04:58 AM »

I have a project where I'm going to be delivering a LOT of CD masters to a university for use in a Library.  One of the concerns is that these discs will become damaged through use.  Obviously, I can make multiple masters, but there are also questions about the longevity of these masters as well.

I'd like to create CD images for the client so that if a disc goes bad, they can easily create a new disc.  The concern, though, is what format to use.  I'm not worried about the hard drives (as there will be a lot more oher data on those discs and steps have been taken to manage the archive), but rather what will work to burn a disc that is the same as what I give them tomorrow as well as a couple years down the road.

Ideas?

--Ben
Benjamin Maas
Fifth Circle Audio
Los Angeles, CA
http://www.fifthcircle.com

jtr

Re: "Archival" CD images
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2006, 10:13:19 AM »

Ben:

You might consider asking the library to conference with  the IS / computer support department for the university under which the library is hosted, and ask for their input.
Most academic and corporate entities have (hopefully) settled on products that they already use for disc imaging. It might be an off the shelf product, like Roxio, for instance.  The important thing is that the images be created with a product the library (and its' host administration) is likely to have around in the future, supported by on site computer help.

It seems like every disc utility program does some form of imaging.
The only thing I would stay away from is overly complex solutions, like the Eclipse station- or product specific programs like Plextools.  For library use I'd have no reluctance recommending user friendly solutions like Roxio or Nero. Most of my own perceptions of "sound quality" differences when using these products come from differences between burn speeds , drive interface issues and unscientific personal bias Smile

I would also recommend you get a bunch of Fifth Circle branded TY's - be sure to include purple in the printing- and sell them as Library Issue blanks. Seems to be lots of money in rebranding and packaging these days.

David Glasser

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2006, 10:42:40 AM »

Fifthcircle wrote on Wed, 24 May 2006 23:04

what will work to burn a disc that is the same as what I give them tomorrow as well as a couple years down the road.

Ideas?

--Ben

SonicStudio PreMaster CD or DDP programs. Each will create a DDP file set and burn CDs. The DDP app can open and edit DDP file sets. We use PMCD here. Good little program.
David Glasser
Airshow Mastering
Boulder, CO

dave@airshowmastering.com
www.airshowmastering.com

TotalSonic

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2006, 05:34:15 PM »

One open source format that can be created and then used by many many PC burning apps is the "Cue Sheet" originally developed by Goldenhawk.  It's a small (editable) text file given the extension .cue that specifies all PQ indexes (via links and timing pointers to seperate wav files) & subcode info (including UPC/MCN, ISRC & CD Text) so that you can burn Red Book spec CD Audio masters with it.  

Since I use the JMS Audioware Cue Sheet Generator add on within the SAWStudio DAW app for my CD mastering - for archival I just copy the generated .cue file and the linked wav files onto a data CD-R.  The .cue file can then be opened in a number of apps (such as Nero or the freeware Exact Audio Copy) so that more copies can be burned.

Cue Sheets also offers a way of ftp'ing complete CD layouts to clients that they can easily burn to disc remotely, without having to have them have expensive proprietary software.

A nice page (although slightly outdated) listing various Cue Sheet burning programs and going into details regarding these can be read at
http://www.dcsoft.com/cue_mastering_progs.htm

Best regards,
Steve Berson

twelfthandvine

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2006, 10:58:02 PM »

Hi Ben ...

I have a friend who is the IT manager for a large University in this region.  

FWIW, he says exactly what Jim suggests:  check with the library and ask them what they want.  The reason is that a major library will almost certainly have an archival plan in place that they may even be expecting you to conform to ... but no one has told you yet.  It's entirely possible that the section you're dealing with assumes you know what their insular world knows.    

An analogy would be deliverables to a TV station.  You always have to work to their deliverables requirements even though the producer won't even mention these when he's discussing the edits with you.  

And, remember the Golden Rule of Post:  'no good deed goes unpunnished'.  Giving them something better than their archival compliance plan provides for could end in tears.

IHTH.

Kind regards,
Paul Blakey
12th & Vine Post

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.07 seconds with 19 queries.