R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Poor Man's Plangent  (Read 2878 times)

Greg Reierson

Poor Man's Plangent
« on: May 05, 2011, 12:19:29 PM »

The Melodyne guys have a wow and flutter removal tool. I may be late to the party on this one but it's the first I've heard of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWr-_UsaCZ8&feature=feedu

Looks interesting and will work on digital files without the HF bias capture. How well it works in another matter. Anyone seen this?

GR
Greg Reierson
Rare Form Mastering

Laarsų

• Real Full Name: Laars Oglethorpe, V
Re: Poor Man's Plangent
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 03:13:41 PM »

Sounds right over the cheap laptop speakers and stream codec.    But I wonder about the actual results as heard over a decent stereo with no data compression.    The nice thing about Plangent Processes' method is that there's no (human) guesswork involved, once a carrier signal has been obtained for the time correction.   I fear a user of Capstan® might over-correct vibrato in his zeal to eliminate wowing.   Hard not to use NoNoise when you hear something alien, but every once in a while, the disease is better than the (selected) cure...  (as Bob Katz would say)

Also, I believe that bias is not the only signal that is used.  From an Ampex ATR-100, the bias signal of 432 kHz is too high for even 4x Fs encoding, yes?   There are other, lower noises that the machine prints with recordings that can be used for correction, if I recall Jamie Howarth's posts on the matter.   

We'd love to say that wow and flutter are cool and part of the analog sound, but when we heard the examples on the Plangent site, we felt that they had stripped nothing and had revealed everything -  still cool; just _way_ better.     By comparison, I fear Capstan® might just be Waves Tune® on steroids - I mean inTel.. 

Cheersų,
     Laarsų 
Laars Oglethorpe, V
Space Camp CD Premastering
Pivot dub lab vinyl products and consulting
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.126 seconds with 21 queries.