R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: EV re20 : when were built the first's RE20  (Read 10203 times)

robingreen

EV re20 : when were built the first's RE20
« on: May 20, 2006, 05:51:23 AM »

hi!
could anyone tell us when were built the first RE20, I mean aproximatively.
thanks you

Teddy G.

Re: EV re20 : when were built the first's RE20
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2006, 12:31:58 AM »

Do a "Google search" for RE-20 history, and try PL-20(Same thing, different label). Not long ago I stumbled accross a very good site with such info.

I'll guess, 1972..? Don't remember seeing any before about then, but I worked in some pretty "mic cheap" places then, where EV 635A's(And m-u-c-h older and cheaper mics), were the norm...Let us know what you find...

TG

wwittman

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2006, 01:37:52 AM »

I think it was actually debuted in the late 60's... but I remember first seeing them in the early 70's.

William Wittman
Producer/Engineer
(Cyndi Lauper, Joan Osborne, The Fixx, The Outfield, Hooters...)

John Noll

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2006, 07:48:14 PM »

I have some old pro audio magazines from the 60's - 70's and the earliest sightings of the RE20 in EV ads are in the Spring of 1972 so I'd guess that it was introduced around then or slightly earlier, maybe late '71.

Teddy G.

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2006, 09:50:33 PM »

Ill try putting a picture in here, never done did that before...

http://www.coutant.org/re2075se/index.html

index.php/fa/2847/0/

TG

Jean Taxis

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2006, 04:55:11 AM »

By the way, does anybody knows if currents RE20 are the same & have the same quality than the older ones ?
Actually, I notice how the RE20 's price has dropped, since several years...

Ali Moniack

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2006, 10:48:04 PM »

Purchased a couple recently and they sounded as I expected them to (I am going somewhat deaf). No doubt the build quality and constituent components and materials used will have "evolved" since '67 in some ways...perhaps for the worse...

They still sound good on just about anything. You could always buy second hand.

Teddy G.

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2006, 06:59:29 PM »

Might be kind've hard to say if they were "better" in, say, 1973? That's 33 years ago, so, even if you had an old one and compared it to a new one, the old one is "old" - hard to say if IT still sounds like it did so many years ago??? Components, no matter how good, do age. I surely heard them 30 years ago, but unless they've changed ALOT, my ears would be hard-pressed to tell - my ears are 33 years older, too......

Far as it goes(And that's not far) I've never heard anyone say they've been changed/cheapened over the years...... Costs CAN come down, as manufacturing technique may have improved(Or at least maybe more automated), competition has certainly intensified...

Last I looked the Sennheiser 421 was WAY down in price! AKG C414's are WAY down in price! Same reasons, I suppose.

TG

Geoff Doane

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2006, 11:20:13 AM »

Teddy G. wrote on Sun, 28 May 2006 19:59

Far as it goes(And that's not far) I've never heard anyone say they've been changed/cheapened over the years...... Costs CAN come down, as manufacturing technique may have improved(Or at least maybe more automated), competition has certainly intensified...

It's not like E-V has been spending a lot on R&D for these mics lately. Smile

I have a couple that are about 20 years old.  The foam inside disintegrated, but E-V could still supply spare parts at a reasonable cost.

The PL-20 appears to be the same mic (the parts list applies to both).  It was marketed differently (no cable, metal box or lifetime warranty) and cost about $100 less back in the early '80s.

cenafria

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2006, 02:42:37 PM »

Geoff Doane wrote on Mon, 29 May 2006 17:20

Teddy G. wrote on Sun, 28 May 2006 19:59

It's not like E-V has been spending a lot on R&D for these mics lately. Smile

I have a couple that are about 20 years old.  The foam inside disintegrated, but E-V could still supply spare parts at a reasonable cost.

The PL-20 appears to be the same mic (the parts list applies to both).  It was marketed differently (no cable, metal box or lifetime warranty) and cost about $100 less back in the early '80s.

I've read it's exactly the same with different colour paint...

Actually,

http://www.electrical.com/item.php?page=89&pic=pictures/ 89.jpg

Teddy G.

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2006, 03:14:04 PM »

FYI:

The site where I got the picture/date is actually a page on "What is a PL20?". As stated, on this site, it is said to be EXACTLY the same, with the different paint.

Teddy G.

If someone with experience would like to go on and compare/contrast the RE20/PL20 with the "new model", RE27(?), I'd appreciate some thoughts... Good a place as any for them..?

Teddy G.

idiophone

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2006, 01:54:44 AM »

I got an old RE-20 off of eBay two years ago for $300. EV refurbished it to brand new specs for $45. Whadda deal!

And yeah, 414s, 421s, etc. are coming down in price. Still, people are buying cheap Chinese stuff for $149 instead of the now affordable, proven standbys. Economically, it makes sense, but in terms of longevity and function, I don't get it. Maybe I'm old-fashioned.

~id
West and Wewaxation

Kurt Foster

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2006, 08:21:08 PM »

Here's something of intrest I stumbled across ...

http://www.coutant.org/contents.html

Hallams

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2006, 02:15:58 AM »

We have 2 old ones and two new ones at the studio and i often use the old ones in preference on guitar cabs as they sound a bit darker than the newer ones. Prolly the ageing process.
Chris Hallam.
Melbourne, Australia.

Teddy G.

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2006, 09:45:20 AM »

Hey, Kurt,

Thankx for the link!

So many memories!

The "sound of the mic" samples are very cool! Did I really sound so "tinny" on the EV-135A(Hey, it was AM radio, we called it "Brightness".)??? Did I sound so nice on the RCA BK-5???

I was pleased to note that my AKG C1000s "looks" very like the AKG C12!!! Bet they sound the same, too, huh? Unfortunately, I saw/heard no sample of the C12, to compare them with(Of course there was not even a picture of the C1000s - have to maintain some standards on the sight, I suppose - though mine works just fine)......

Thankx again! Wonderful sight! Should be a "stickie" on this site...

Just for fun - Here is the "main page" link for the Stan Coultant, site - worth a good look-see......

http://www.coutant.org/

Teddy G.

OT: Love my new Yammie, MSP5A's(They do a great job of showing me just how bad I really am - so I can "fix me in the mix"!) - thankx for pointing me in the right direction!

Kurt Foster

« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2006, 01:23:31 AM »

Teddy G!

So happy to see you here! I'm getting to know a lot of my old internet friends that I met at wreck-cording dot arrgh! here again, and it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside!  Laughing

Always glad if something I post is of any help.

Hopefully I will be able to be less imposing with my feelinngs about things now that I am no longer administrator or moderator. I am sure I took some things a little too seriously at times. Really, all I wanted was for the content to be as accurate and truhful (sans any marketing bullshit, which runs rampent there now). At least here, I don't feel responsible to carry that cross.

It's really a lot more fun this way!

Teddy G.

« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2006, 10:24:50 AM »

The older we get, the more the following applies...

"I finally know it all -- and nobody wants to listen."

Oh, well.... Some of us want to hear it... ha!(Though the rest of us know-it-alls may be talking to loud to hear what YOU say? Again, ha!)... We must do what we can - then go watch TV...

I hope to get to my cabin this weekend, to "let the voices die-down, a bit...". Then, Monday, back to trying to make myself heard --- and trying to remember to listen to others......

TG
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.074 seconds with 21 queries.