R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Working at home  (Read 8050 times)

Viitalahde

• Real Full Name: Jaakko Viitalähde
Working at home
« on: May 04, 2011, 02:34:38 AM »

I would like to continue with the discussion, started in this topic:

http://recforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/t/33264/0/

Now that I've been working at home for a few months now, some thoughts have come up.

I certainly enjoy doing this, and I have had no problem in having the job in the same yard my spare time is. I still keep the weekends off, and only on rare occasions I work during the weekends - mostly in cases where a friend needs something urgent done.

Naturally, the amount of unattanded sessions has gone up, but I haven't been all alone here. I have an attended session almost every week, sometimes twice a week. A typical drive for these clients is about 1,5 - 2,5 hours, and while it seems like a big deal to me to drive for 3-5 hours a day for a session that lasts for 5-6 hours, they don't do it every day, perhaps not even on yearly basis. Clients will be served with coffee/tea, some sort of snacks and water, but lunch I won't be serving here.

SInce I didn't build a client lounge of any kind for the studio, they use the toilet in our house, which is a few meters away from the studio. Luckily, the toilet is located so that they don't have to walk all around our house, and we can keep doors to the other rooms closed. Having clients walking around has not been a problem to me, and my wife doesn't seem too bothered either. The sessions also usually happen when she's at her workplace., so it's minimum interference with our daily lives.

For some friends, the sauna will be warmed up and I usually join in. This has to be a rarity and I doubt there are many mastering rooms that do the same thing. But it's really just for friends and only upon request, since warming up our primitive but a great sauna takes 1-2 hours depending on whether it's winter or summer.

Personally, I really enjoy being here in the woods, and having only birds, the wind and the river making sound as I step outside is instant ear relaxment. The clients seem to value it too, and I've been told the daytrip to a peaceful location and a mastering job is enjoyable. I'll have to figure out how to make things even more so, but slowly.

An obvious downside can be that with unattended sessions, you might sometimes feel a little lonely. But the pros have been working out so well for me that it's only a minor con.
Jaakko Viitalähde
Virtalähde Mastering, Kuhmoinen/Finland
http://www.virtalahde.com
http://www.facebook.com/VirtalahdeMastering

lowland

Re: Working at home
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 03:45:30 AM »

That sounds lovely, Jaakko.

I'm enjoying similar (if not quite so rural, and sadly no sauna) benefits here now the new room has been running since the beginning of April: with less distractions compared to when I was working from the house throughput is up noticeably. The room is my office as well as a mastering space, and with the office desk at the back one unexpected upside is that as the office computer is no longer next to the DAW screen I don't see incoming email, with its distraction potential, unless I want to.

Sound-wise, I'm very happy with the space with the exception of a 40Hz-ish bump behind the listening position which doesn't affect normal working and should be tuned out when the ceiling resonators are adjusted in a couple of weeks. I've been quite surprised at how close to the back wall the speakers needed to be, but once I found the spot everything came together. The listening triangle is a little smaller than I originally thought, just under 2 metres to a side, but works well and makes more space elsewhere.

The thermal qualities of the building are outstanding - I'd hazard a guess that it would even hold up to a Finnish winter, no underfloor heating though. It just needs a quick 'blip' with a small electric heater on a cold morning to get things going, and on a warm day without air conditioning the temperature only rises a handful of degrees so it's possible that in spite of the fact we put in a separate AC mains feed I may not need it. Let's see if I still feel that way in the middle of July :-)

First 'attended' in the new setup tomorrow, wish me luck!
Nigel Palmer
Lowland Masters
www.lowlandmasters.com

Apostolos Siopis

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 04:41:25 AM »

Great stuff guys... I love what you 're doing...

I, sometimes, sleep-over at the studio (due to long commute times...or really late night preping of sessions that will take place early in the morning..or when I have an argument with a girlfriend)...but I guess this does not qualify in a "working at home" thread

...I was about to make a joke about it ...but you can certainly take my question seriously:
Personally, I really enjoy being here in the woods, and having only birds, the wind and the river making sound as I step outside is instant ear relaxment. T
...Have you asked the birds, what they think about you moving there?

Working at home at the English countryside (maybe Cambridge again one day..who knows) or by the coastline on a Greek Island is actually my dream ...I hate big cities and car exhaust noises.

Best regards to both of you
Apostolos
Apostolos Siopis - www.odeon-mastering.com

Thomas W. Bethel

• Real Full Name: Thomas W. Bethel
  • When only the best will do.
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 08:02:56 AM »

I have been working from home since I started the business 16 years ago. My studio is separated from the rest of the house and has access to the kitchen and a small "clients" bathroom. I could not be happier working from home. No sauna, no swimming pool and no whirlpool spa but...it works.

Best of luck to EVERYONE who has decided to work at home! :) it is a GREAT experience.
Thomas W. Bethel
Managing Director
Acoustik Musik, Ltd.
http://www.acoustikmusik.com/

Doing what you love is freedom.
Loving what you do is happiness.

Celebrating 29 years in business in 2024

When only the best will do...

jdg

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 01:59:54 PM »

can i book a session for just the sauna, and take breaks in the mastering room and do a single, then return to the sauna?

might take a week to do the album, but worth it  :-*
John McCaig
-the caption captain

Viitalahde

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2011, 02:06:58 PM »

can i book a session for just the sauna, and take breaks in the mastering room and do a single, then return to the sauna?

might take a week to do the album, but worth it  :-*

If you don't mind my nude presence.

But I promise to wear pants when I'm, uh, twiddling with knobs.
Jaakko Viitalähde

jdg

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2011, 02:29:59 PM »

nude presents... ;D
John McCaig
-the caption captain

Gold

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2011, 02:35:01 PM »

I live a block and a half away from the studio which is the best of both worlds for me.

Do you get beaten with sticks at a Finnish sauna?
Paul Gold
Salt Mastering

Viitalahde

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2011, 02:56:59 PM »

Do you get beaten with sticks at a Finnish sauna?

Depends. During the summertime you might. But they're really a bunch of branches from a young birch.

If any of you guys ever happen to visit this part of the world, the sauna is ready. It's a promise!
Jaakko Viitalähde

Nescafe

• Real Full Name: Gabriel Temmy
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2011, 01:51:09 AM »

This is what I really dream about (without sauna), the ability to enjoy the fresh air and the woods after works.......envy me.

Macc

• Real Full Name: Robert Macciochi
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2011, 01:21:07 PM »

I've just moved house and have moved my studio to a nearby industrial unit - it's 5 minutes on the push bike so it's a nice balance. I can pop home for lunch or whatever, but I am still at work when I am there.

Having said that, I only finished setting up today so it's somewhat hypothetical, but that's the idea...

FWIW I have set up temporarily in a section that's about the same size as my old studio, and I'll be building a new room from scratch inside the (hay-uge) main unit. Exciting stuff :)

Ed Littman

• Real Full Name: Ed Littman
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2011, 12:12:35 AM »

I work at home as well. I love it & get more work done because of it. I'm located in a mountain area  with woods & a creek (lately a river)so the air is fresh with a country vibe & a large variety of eateries only down the block. A great benefit is that I can have little visits with the Family when I want. The down side is I also have the bathroom in the house with a barky dog.

Ed

Table Of Tone

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2011, 04:25:05 PM »

I've just moved house and have moved my studio to a nearby industrial unit - it's 5 minutes on the push bike so it's a nice balance. I can pop home for lunch or whatever, but I am still at work when I am there.

Having said that, I only finished setting up today so it's somewhat hypothetical, but that's the idea...

FWIW I have set up temporarily in a section that's about the same size as my old studio, and I'll be building a new room from scratch inside the (hay-uge) main unit. Exciting stuff :)
Hello Bob
Where are you based now?
Still in the same area?

We should do a beer again soon!

adamgonsa

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2011, 01:34:33 PM »

Congrats Bob! 

My studio isn't in my house, but it's on my property, which is nice.  I agree with Ed, I think the proximity improves my productivity and makes breaks more enjoyable. There's an outdoor lounge area with some plants and Adirondack chairs, so I need to keep that tidy for attended sessions but some light grounds-keeping is a small price to pay.
Adam Gonsalves
Telegraph Mastering

Macc

• Real Full Name: Robert Macciochi
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2011, 05:27:46 AM »

Hello Bob
Where are you based now?
Still in the same area?

We should do a beer again soon!

Beer always sounds good  ;)

I'm in the same area, small town called Halesworth, but I've moved much closer to the train station so getting to and from London is a piece of cake. You're welcome to pop up and check the room out once it's done!
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 23 queries.