R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Most popular DAW software in today's high-end studios (other than PT)?  (Read 23333 times)

Extreme Mixing

I have been using Cubase since Cubase 5.1 had been out many years back. They improved the audio engine, tons of new features, and improved plug ins. Personally I don't see a need for Pro Tools especially since now you can get the pro version native (though it cost a lot more than Cubase, or Logic).

I have never had a client walk away because I did not use Pro Tools. Some would say "how come you don't use Pro Tools? When I tell them in detail about the improved midi features, Score, and now that Yamaha owns them and they are improving the DAW with their R&D, they all have backed down and respected that I use Cubase. Many home studio guys use a cheaper version of Cubase, and like that they can go into my studio with their files and download them into Cubase in my studio.

So I'm guessing that you don't mention cost being a major factor in your choice of DAW, but clearly it is.

Sounds like you're using Cubase for the same reason most of us are using Pro Tools and Logic--it's what most of our clients are using and we save time not having to convert all of the files.  Fine with me.  But midi in Pro Tools has gotten very good.  I'll like it better when it's 64 bit because of the memory issues, but you can use VEPro as a server to get around that.  Logic is pretty cool, but has its learning curve.

Steve

Glenn Bucci

Price is clearly a factor and PT HD2 or 3 cost thousands more than Cubase which is like $499. 10 years ago Pro Tools HD was king. But with computers being more powerful today than the aged HD cards, there is no reason so spend so much money on a  DAW. People like Peter Frampton uses Nuendo, Phil Collins uses Cubase in his studio, and the list goes on. No longer is PT the ultimate DAW to have due to it having so much power. This is one of the reasons we now have a native Pro Tools, since sales were down and they were trying to catch more users in their net. However PT Native still is a lot more expensive. Granted Pro Tools due to being used for so many years in the studio world is still king, but more and more have switch over to other DAW's. The reason you need more DSP power really comes down to how many plug ins you use in a session. But with today's computers, you will find that you have enough power to handle your plug ins. Then of course if you have UAD plug ins they use their own DSP cards as well.

Extreme Mixing

Wow.  Cuebase 6 now has groups!  Pro Tools has had those since version 5--9 years ago.  Does it have VCA Groups and a dedicated control surface with custom groups?  If you can't tell, I'm still not sure that Cuebase is quite as mature a program as Pro Tools.  There are reasons why some of us spend so much money.  We want the features and compatibility.  I have a client using Pro Tools on an iMac with a motu traveler interface.  It's working great and probably has most of the features that your $499 version of Cuebase has.  I've mixed a couple of her records on her system.  The big advantage that HD still has is very low latency monitoring.  That's a big deal.  I know there are workarounds, but I really don't want to go that way.

I'm glad you're happy with Cuebass, but just know that many in the Pro Tools "crowd" are working pro's who know what Pro Tools is all about and we are pretty clear as to why we like it and continue to use it.  To be fair, I like and use Logic and Digital Performer as well.  But I find the way PT handles audio to make the most sense and work the best for me.

Steve

KAyo

• R/E/P Forums
  • Real Full Name: KAyo
  • Business Videos 24/7

The new Pro-Tools Native, has finally opened access to a lot more people and apparently, it’s the best version ever of Pro-Tools, so say a lot of Pro-Tools users themselves. Watch here > http://apps.avid.com/hd-native/

I am quite keen to get this version of Pro-Tools very soon. Most PT rigs were beyond budget, but now, I think it’s a real possibility to acquire one, plus, it’s compatible with most of your well constructed VST plugs, now that’s a screamer of a bonus for me. Saying that, I also have my UAD/ SSL and Powercore DSP’s to help with plug-in chores.

I guess the only impediment at present is pricing. Let the hype settle in conjunction with a slight price drop and boom! In like flyn.
Can’t wait…

Ciao’
KAyo
www.kantabiz.com
Business Video Directory

JohnTravis

Great question, and the answer is Pro-Tools is the standard whether any of us like it or not. I've used several of the programs starting with Vision, then going to Cubase, Performer, Creator/Notator and then settling on Logic which i used for years. Logic is a great program for creating music and has some plug-ins I wish were on PT.

One day I had made a record that some of which was going to be mixed by Randy Staub who was working out of a studio in Vancouver and the studio tech told me that the files had to be in Pro-Tools as their computer was Pro-Tools only. He also said that a computer would not work with both Logic or Pro-Tools on it and got a little miffed when I said I was running a computer like that as I was talking to him. The upshot was I had to print all of the tracks on the songs Randy was mixing as WAV files with the plug-ins on them, which had to be done in real time.

Also most record companies would only accept the completed masters as Pro-tools files so the last day of every project was spent converting everything including unused songs to that format. After a few years of swimming against the tide I finally caved and started using Pro-tools too.

The bottom line is whether we like it or not, to the big labels, at least here in the US, Pro-tools is the only game in town and everything else is considered prosumer. I can't say I agree with that, but it is what it is and we don't always get t make the rules.

Extreme Mixing

You are exactly right, John.

Steve

Bob Olhsson

• R/E/P Forums

Pro Tools will remain the standard until somebody comes up with something significantly better in software. It simply hasn't happened in a decade other than bells and whistles. They got into the major studios first with an affordable, reliable recording platform and most people are unwiling to waste their time learning a new program or dealing with file conversions.

Jim Williams

Is this why most new releases rip me a new one in the ear drums when 15 years ago they didn't? Does convienience trump quality?

zakco

• Real Full Name: Zak Cohen

Is this why most new releases rip me a new one in the ear drums when 15 years ago they didn't? Does convienience trump quality?

Are you suggesting that Protools is inferior fidelity wise to other DAWs?

Z

Bob Olhsson

• R/E/P Forums

No.

People put more signal processing on each track than most control rooms had available in total 15 years ago. Better sounding hardware to use with Pro Tools has been available from the beginning but too many people were too cheap to invest in it. Avid's very latest HD hardware is actually very decent sounding.

Telefunk

Re: Most popular DAW software in today's high-end studios (other than PT)?
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2011, 05:57:01 PM »

Wow.  Cuebase 6 now has groups!  Pro Tools has had those since version 5--9 years ago.

Cubase has had groups as long as I remember, at least since SX3, or longer. What is that? Like 8--9 years?

Besides, i'm mixing with console, so labels will not get multitrack mixes from me anyway. If they ask them, i usually just send them the Cubase project and they're happy.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 24 queries.