R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Most popular DAW software in today's high-end studios (other than PT)?  (Read 23334 times)

grievousangel

• Real Full Name: William T Johnson

Based on what you are using and reading, what DAW software seems to be most often used in today's high-end recording studios? Of course, other than PT.

How has Samplitude, Nuendo and others shaken out? I understand it's all about what you are use to working with in many cases, as sound-wise, most are neutral sounding. It's about work-flow, flexibility and stability.

Later,

William

Extreme Mixing

Ummm...

You answered your own question.  It's Pro Tools for sure.  Most people have decided that they don't want to spend time converting files before they can start to work.  Logic is very popular with music producers.  Digital Performer is popular with film composers because it has advantages there.  I am an LA recording engineer.  I have never been asked to work with Nuendo or Samplitude.  That doesn't mean that you can't do great things on those programs.  They all sound really good.  But you asked what was being used.

Steve

Bob Olhsson

• R/E/P Forums

The only thing I've heard about is that a few people like to use something else for mixing because they don't want to hand over a Pro Tools session to the label.

It will require something that is both dramatically better and easier to use to replace Pro Tools. Nothing like that has come along, just a series of DAWs that are "as good as" and have a few different and sometimes better features. In fact Avid's biggest problem is that most high-end studios are perfectly happy with a Power PC HD system and not interested in upgrading.

Bubba--Kron

I use Sonar flawlessly, its really great actually.    Its just controlling lynx aes16 and a Apogee Da-16x.  I cant imagine it sounding much different going through a different program but same gear.  I could be wrong!!

Ive never given Avid a penny in my life.   I learned that lesson watching a friend by 4 avid machines at 40 grand a piece right before final cut edit pro came out, that was not a smart business move on his part at all.
Cheers, Bryan Richards

Scott Featherstone

I also use Sonar. I love it.

Extreme Mixing

OK.  So I'm going to send you an album to mix.  We did it all in Pro Tools.  I'll just send you the sessions.  You can open them...Right?  Because I'd like to get them back the same way, so I can turn them in to the label.

There are lots of mixers who use Pro Tools for that very reason.  OMF works--sort of.  Oh, except the mutes don't come through.  And we have a couple of AutoTune effects that we really wanted to use...You didn't get them???

There are lots of issues and most of us don't really want to deal with making those types of mistakes.  It costs a lot of time and missed elements.  Not worth it to most pro mixers, for sure.  That doesn't mean that you can't do amazing work in Sonar, just that you are not as compatible with MOST of the Pro recording world as you are with Pro Tools.  If that doesn't mean anything to you, then that's fine.  But Bob Clearmountain doesn't really care if he spends 5K or 50K on his work tool.  As long as he gets what he wants, and it makes his work more accurate and productive.

Steve

Paul G

If you export wav files and import wav files it shouldn't matter which DAW you use.

Paul ;D

Audio Alex

• Real Full Name: Alex Butler

As has been previously stated, question asked, question answered. Pro Tools for sure, but I also believe geographics play a part also. I use Samplitude as well as PT, but here in the states I don't think Samplitude is as popular a DAW as it is outside of the US.

musiclab

• Real Full Name: Lou Gimenez

OK.  So I'm going to send you an album to mix.  We did it all in Pro Tools.  I'll just send you the sessions.  You can open them...Right?  Because I'd like to get them back the same way, so I can turn them in to the label.

There are lots of mixers who use Pro Tools for that very reason.  OMF works--sort of.  Oh, except the mutes don't come through.  And we have a couple of AutoTune effects that we really wanted to use...You didn't get them???

There are lots of issues and most of us don't really want to deal with making those types of mistakes.  It costs a lot of time and missed elements.  Not worth it to most pro mixers, for sure.  That doesn't mean that you can't do amazing work in Sonar, just that you are not as compatible with MOST of the Pro recording world as you are with Pro Tools.  If that doesn't mean anything to you, then that's fine.  But Bob Clearmountain doesn't really care if he spends 5K or 50K on his work tool.  As long as he gets what he wants, and it makes his work more accurate and productive.

Steve
yeah but Bob Clearmountain mixes on a console so it doesn't matter what daw he uses, it's not going to have his mix on it. Same with Chris Alge, Michael Wagner does his projects in Nuendo, so you think the labels make him do it over again in Pro Tools? I have Pro Tools and I have Logic, I prefer Logic, I also mix on a console. I've never had anyone complain about what daw I use
2" 24 track and a whole lot more
www.musiclabnyc.com

Bob Olhsson

• R/E/P Forums

If you export wav files and import wav files it shouldn't matter which DAW you use.
The difference is the amount of extra time and hassle involved.

KAyo

• R/E/P Forums
  • Real Full Name: KAyo
  • Business Videos 24/7

Till today, I have been using many DAW softwares, Some work more ergonomically than others, but, all sound respectable.
I started on Pro-tools, moved to Cubase, Nuendo, and even Vegas & Acid. I am really fond of them all. Nuendo and Vegas are great for PC-XP based Video/ Audio editing systems, without breaking the bank. Cubase and Acid are nice for midi complexities. For mastering.. Wavelab, SoundForge and Sequoia. All work really well, again some annoying ergonomic issues can deter me at times. Saying that, I also have Sonar installed, many Dj’s I know, somehow prefer Sonar and send mixes on that etc..

Ciao’
KAyo
www.kantabiz.com
Business Video Directory

luis Markson

Back when I worked in a studio we used this:

http://www.merging.com/

I'm not sure if they still do.... We were a beta tester.

KAyo

• R/E/P Forums
  • Real Full Name: KAyo
  • Business Videos 24/7

Back when I worked in a studio we used this:

http://www.merging.com/

I'm not sure if they still do.... We were a beta tester.

One of the best!
Still going, I sense.

Cheers,
KAyo
www.kantabiz.com
Business Video Directory

luis Markson

One of the best!
Still going, I sense.

Cheers,
KAyo

We were using it with a DMXR100 via MADI. Pretty progressive for a small studio. From what I remember of it (10 years ago now) is was increadably intuative and sounded great.

Glenn Bucci

I have been using Cubase since Cubase 5.1 had been out many years back. They improved the audio engine, tons of new features, and improved plug ins. Personally I don't see a need for Pro Tools especially since now you can get the pro version native (though it cost a lot more than Cubase, or Logic). Cubase has stronger midi and the only reason to use PT is the preference of the work flow if you like it better.

I have also used Samplitude and it does allow you to burn CD's with redbook info which Cubase/Nuendo can't do. However the amount of people who user of Samplitude is so much smaller than Cubase/Nuendo. I would rather use a program that more people and studios are familar with. I have never had a client walk away because I did not use Pro Tools. Some would say "how come you don't use Pro Tools? When I tell them in detail about the improved midi features, Score, and now that Yamaha owns them and they are improving the DAW with their R&D, they all have backed down and respected that I use Cubase. Many home studio guys use a cheaper version of Cubase, and like that they can go into my studio with their files and download them into Cubase in my studio.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 22 queries.