R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Can we talk about snares.  (Read 13513 times)

Rick Carson

• Real Full Name: Rick Carson
Can we talk about snares.
« on: May 02, 2011, 03:18:04 AM »

I was wondering how you typically go about mixing snares. I usually eq and then parallel compress it. I sometimes throw a 1176 after my uncompressed snare just for a db or two to level it out.

I have a problem getting that exploding snare sound. I have tried a ton of reverbs and have never found one that works for me.

I would love any insight on how you guys work.

Thanks a ton!

rosshogarth

Re: Can we talk about snares.
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 11:57:31 AM »

are you recording the snare too ?
or just mixing what's given ?
The practice of forgiveness is our most important contribution to the healing of the world.

The standard of success in life isn't the things. It isn't the money or the stuff. It is absolutely the amount of joy that you feel.

Podgorny

• Real Full Name: Kyle Mann
  • What 500-series mic pre works best as a door stop?
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 12:28:48 PM »

Valley Dyna-Mite in parallel. Sometimes transient designer. Sometimes a sample blended in. Sometimes all it needs is EQ.

There is no one way that always works. It depends on what you're working with and your intended destination.

Bubba--Kron

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 06:50:31 PM »

Compression and snare always drive me nuts. You cant compress a snare with out completely changing the sound, unless its mixed in on a drum buss IME.  I would say dont compress the snare and try to mic it better for pop, but thats just me!!

cheers
Cheers, Bryan Richards

Extreme Mixing

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2011, 12:42:39 AM »

You cant compress a snare with out completely changing the sound,

Sometimes that's the idea.

Steve

Michael Brauer

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2011, 09:11:29 PM »

give us an example of a song that has the exploding snare you are trying to recreate for your mixes.

michael

Rick Carson

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2011, 10:43:56 PM »

Oh my god I can't thank you guys enough for replying . @ Ross H I am recording the snare. I tend to record snares with shure 545s with a api pre. Usually around a 45 degree angle .

@Michael B, I love the snares from nirvanas never mind & inutero, at the drive in, relationship and command. Cursive's the ugly organ.

rosshogarth

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2011, 02:48:58 AM »

I do love the 545
its an unknown gem
fatter transient than a sm57
try for fun
a condenser taped to it for more crack
I also will on occasion only compress the condenser for more tone

also
pull the mics slightly back so they are close to the shell
it will give more ring and less thud

try
a center overhead compressed too
it adds a lot of smash to the snare
The practice of forgiveness is our most important contribution to the healing of the world.

The standard of success in life isn't the things. It isn't the money or the stuff. It is absolutely the amount of joy that you feel.

Jeff Yurek

• R/E/P Forums
  • Real Full Name: Jeff Yurek
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2011, 05:22:14 PM »

try
a center overhead compressed too
it adds a lot of smash to the snare

This is an awesome way to open up a snare. Check your phase, IME its almost invariably out vs snare and/or kick mics.

Rick Carson

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2011, 08:30:06 PM »

Thanks a ton guys. Yeah as soon as I heard the 545 I bought another 2 now I have 4 57's I don't use. I'm going to try all this out tomorrow.

What do you guys typically use for reverb?

Blackwing13

• Real Full Name: Gabriel Gunawan
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2011, 04:55:09 AM »

Hi,

I usually blend samples to augment my snares. If the snare needs more low, I'll search heavy snare. If I need snap, the I'll go find a snappy snare sample. The dynamic is controlled in the Drumagog's dynamic option, so I rarely uses compressors.
The the real snare & the samples usually goes to snare bus with further treatment necessary. Then going to the drum master bus.

I usually go for my UAD2 EMT's for reverbs. But if its to much, a subtle slap-delay and chorus will do :D

Gabriel
working full time as a recording, editing, mixing & mastering engineer at MusikTek Studio, Indonesia.

http://www.StudioMusikTek.com

Rick Carson

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2011, 09:58:06 AM »

I started in my career using samples to blend but I would really like to learn how to get my snare there. If samples are the the only to get that sound then I guess I should start using them again.

Fletcher

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2011, 01:59:27 PM »

Samples certainly aren't the only way to get "the" sound... but they are a way.  The thing about modern snares is that you have a presence element that is actually kind of unnatural to the drum [though in modern times its become way closer to natural than it was in the 80's!!]. 

The thing about samples is that they have a very distinct and marked transient front end... from 0 level to +20dbu in under 1.7µs... which is indeed the drum, but the drum will have other "ambient" noise in front of it - its not coming out of "dead silence" [which is one of the aspects that makes samples sound like samples... along with the "absolute repetition" factor].

One thing I've found you can do to make a real drum sound more like a sample while still being a palpably real drum is to break it off into a parallel path - gate that parallel snare [triggered off the real snare if necessary] - then use that parallel path as the reverb feed [sometimes sneaking a little bit of it in with / under the actual recorded drum].

You can process the parallel path differently than the actual drum... you can compress it for a longer sustain of the drum note - you can hit it with a "transient designer" and really sharpen up the front end transient hit... you can run it though a couple of bands of EQ to pull out an exaggerated quality [or perhaps quantity] of the stick "bap" [that midrange note thing] and crack [the up around 6-9kHz "tippy top" thing]... etc.

If you have that feeding the reverb [and like I said earlier - if the desire hits you, you can sneak some of it in under the actual drum for a neat fattening tool at times] you can get all kinds of unnatural presence that doesn't turn into an 80's Phil Collins or Power Station record but still has a greater presence than you'd find on a Thin Lizzy record from the 70's.

Just a couple of thoughts... hope they're of some assistance.

Peace.
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

Rick Carson

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2011, 12:32:41 PM »

This is all awesome thanks some much Fletcher.

Bryson

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2011, 11:35:07 PM »

...but still has a greater presence than you'd find on a Thin Lizzy record from the 70's.

Ha!!!!
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 23 queries.