R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: manley elop connections  (Read 4984 times)

Dirk Banken

• Real Full Name: Dirk Banken
manley elop connections
« on: May 01, 2011, 06:51:42 AM »

Hello,

Why does the manual of the elop say: pin 1 AND pin 3 are ground on the xlr-inputs?  Does it mean the elop internally works with an unbalanced signal?  I guess you can just feed the elop a "pin1: ground pin2: hot pin3: cold" -signal in the balanced inputs?
Thanks.

Fletcher

Re: manley elop connections
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2011, 09:41:54 PM »

Yep - despite the XLR connectors the Manley El-Op is an unbalanced unit.  You can use a two conductor cable if you'd like - but it will probably be best to reference pin 3 to ground... you might want to check it with pin 3 floating as well, depending on your ground scheme it could reduce a bit of noise [or not - don't know all the "ins and outs" of your system].

I hope this is of some assistance.

Peace.
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

Dirk Banken

• Real Full Name: Dirk Banken
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 07:02:15 AM »

thanks

BrianS

• Real Full Name: Brian Stritenberger
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 05:47:56 PM »

hmmm. So does an API 550b have a transformer balanced output, and a 560 an electronically balanced out? I have issues going from the 550b to the ELOP but the 560 is fine.

Fletcher

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 11:36:40 AM »

I don't recall if the 560 is balanced... what is the nature of the problem when connecting the 550b to the El-Op?
CN Fletcher

If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

BrianS

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2011, 05:10:24 PM »

I don't recall if the 560 is balanced... what is the nature of the problem when connecting the 550b to the El-Op?

from the 550b to the ELOP there is a loss of level and it sounds thin. From the 560 to the ELOP it sounds fine. 550b through the ELOP sounds like an improperly terminated transformer out to an unbalanced input. I do not have pin 3 referenced to ground on the ELOP.

Fletcher

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2011, 07:15:49 PM »

I do not have pin 3 referenced to ground on the ELOP.

There in lies the problem... it will start to filter around 1kHz at [if I remember correctly] about a 12db/octave slope.  Reference pin3 to pin1 and it should work.

Peace
CN Fletcher

Malcolm Chisholm

BrianS

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2011, 07:32:57 PM »

There in lies the problem... it will start to filter around 1kHz at [if I remember correctly] about a 12db/octave slope.  Reference pin3 to pin1 and it should work.

Peace

Will do. I thought it sounded like I lost a connection on either the high or low audio in the interface but everything checked out fine. I thought the ELOP was balanced. I'm confident this will solve the problem.

Thanks!

Fletcher

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2011, 12:25:14 PM »

Nope the El-Op is very far from balanced... please let us know if that was indeed the solution to your problem!!
CN Fletcher

Malcolm Chisholm
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 22 queries.