R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "crossover plugin" with bussing ability?  (Read 3726 times)

thephatboi

"crossover plugin" with bussing ability?
« on: May 14, 2006, 06:08:24 PM »

I was wondering if you guys know of a plug-in that will simply break up the stereo audio spectrum into low, mid and high bands that could be bussed to separate destinations for processing, then recombined.  I use Protools HD and am looking for something that does this, basically a "crossover plugin" with ability to route bands to separate places,  I know some people acomplish this by using duplicate tracks with hi, low and band pass eqs but I wonder about weirdness at the crossover points. Any info appreciated. thanks, Sean

Ged Leitch

Re: "crossover plugin" with bussing ability?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2006, 06:10:35 PM »

Hi Sean, i dont know of any plugins that will buss out different bands but someone else might.
Can I ask why you want to do this???

just curious...
http://bitheadmastering.co.uk/

"...But I don't wanna be a pirate!"

Dave Davis

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2006, 06:33:55 PM »

I don't know of any plug-ins that do this, however it's not rocket science which is probably why there aren't any common ones out there (little to no market!).

To get 'er done:

1) Mult your source to the same number of aux tracks as bands you need via sends or directly
2) Apply hi/lo pass filters at the appropriate and desired crossover points as the first plug of the recieving aux.
3) Apply any processing you desire in slots after that
4) return these aux's to the main bus, or, recombine in an additional aux track for further processing.

Done.

While some plugs might create some wierdness at those points, it's something you can sort out by ear or instrument.  Further benefit is that you can "flavor" or not with your choice of filters/plugs, and use the crossover points as a means to filter out specific troublesome frequencies in a different way.  Its not quite the same thing as what you're asking for, but depending on the eq you select it can be a very good alternative.

-d-

Jerry Tubb

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2006, 02:30:18 AM »

Dave Davis wrote on Sun, 14 May 2006 17:33

1) Mult your source to the same number of aux tracks as bands you need via sends or directly
2) Apply hi/lo pass filters at the appropriate and desired crossover points as the first plug of the recieving aux.
4) return these aux's to the main bus, or, recombine in an additional aux track for further processing.

Hi Dave... a relevant tale from days of yore:

Back in the mid '90s I was working with a picky producer on a "roots rock" project.

One song had multiple mixes, none of which he was happy with.

Remarked that he liked one mix, except for the low bass and drums.

Another mix he liked the low bass and drums but not the rest.

So we decide to combine the two!

IIRC we used a crossover of 300-350Hz, lo-passed the one with good lows, hi-passed the other one... and it actually worked!

Both pleasantly surprised, we listened carefully for any phase problems, I think we EQ'd the low mid a little around the x-over point, and he gave it the thumbs up.

I'm not advocating that lurkers go and do this, the odds were against us, but this one time we got lucky! Tried it a few other times over the years with less than stellar results.

BTW they were digital recordings so no chance for analog "drift".

Anyone else ever try this?

Cheers   JT
Terra Nova Mastering
Celebrating 20 years of Mastering!

Ronny

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2006, 03:48:17 AM »

Dave Davis wrote on Sun, 14 May 2006 18:33

I don't know of any plug-ins that do this, however it's not rocket science which is probably why there aren't any common ones out there (little to no market!).

To get 'er done:

Done.

While some plugs might create some wierdness at those points, it's something you can sort out by ear or instrument.  Further benefit is that you can "flavor" or not with your choice of filters/plugs, and use the crossover points as a means to filter out specific troublesome frequencies in a different way.  Its not quite the same thing as what you're asking for, but depending on the eq you select it can be a very good alternative.

-d-

And it's the way to do it, but beware that any boosted bands that lap crossover points between auxes will increase gain and can result in clipping, this can be taken care of by attenuating the auxes before the mix down back to two, so that gain remains at unity between the original and the final eq'd version.

I'd add a number 5:

5. Note any increased peak gain and attenuate the aux channels so that unity gain is kept on the final.

The final mix will than be the same gain as the original, but with the eq's applied. If say he high passes one aux at 120Hz and on another aux he bandpasses from 100Hz, the frequencies between 100Hz and 120Hz will be boosted more than the freq's below 100Hz and above 120Hz. It will be the same thing as boosting between 100 and 120Hz on another aux, due to multiple buss summing increase. Of course it depends on the slope of the filter and the high pass frequency may not be the start of the rolloff, for example it could be -6, -12 or -18dB where the user altered frequency resides, but you can expect a gain increase on any bands that are duplicated on each aux.
------Ronny Morris - Digitak Mastering------
---------http://digitakmastering.com---------
----------Powered By Experience-------------
-------------Driven To Perfection---------------

Ronny

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2006, 04:02:17 AM »

Jerry Tubb wrote on Mon, 15 May 2006 02:30

Dave Davis wrote on Sun, 14 May 2006 17:33

Hi Dave... a relevant tale from days of yore:

Back in the mid '90s I was working with a picky producer on a "roots rock" project.

One song had multiple mixes, none of which he was happy with.

Remarked that he liked one mix, except for the low bass and drums.

Another mix he liked the low bass and drums but not the rest.

So we decide to combine the two!

IIRC we used a crossover of 300-350Hz, lo-passed the one with good lows, hi-passed the other one... and it actually worked!

Both pleasantly surprised, we listened carefully for any phase problems, I think we EQ'd the low mid a little around the x-over point, and he gave it the thumbs up... was a happy camper!

I'm not advocating that lurkers go and do this, the odds were against us, but this one time we got lucky! Tried it a few other times over the years with less than stellar results.

BTW they were digital recordings so no chance for analog "drift".

Anyone else ever try this?

Cheers   JT

Yep, done this, same technique that Dave is relating. I've split mono recordings into 8 different tracks and eq'd for each instrument on each track to get a pseudo stereo final. Same thing though, any bands that overlap increase in gain, so this may be the reason why you are lucky sometimes and not others and you mentioned that you eq'd around the x-over points, likely you attenuated rather than boosted. You have to be aware when using this technique that summed same frequencies will increase gain by +6dB. The gain increase continues with added busses, but will decrease in gain relative to the added bus, for example if you double a 1k tone, you'll get a 6dB increase, triple it and your gain will increase by about 4dB to +10dB not +12dB as you might expect(figuratively speaking) add another buss, gain increases by 3dB. It works that way, so that the +6dB increase will be on the first doubling and any subsequent added buss will increase gain, but decrease in ratio of gain from the original to the first doubling.  
------Ronny Morris - Digitak Mastering------
---------http://digitakmastering.com---------