R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: analog versus digital summing primer  (Read 19016 times)

Daniel Weiss

Re: analog versus digital summing primer
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2006, 03:57:06 PM »

Ronny wrote on Sat, 27 May 2006 08:33

Now think of 1,024 switches in a row and each one going off as the next one comes and you'll get a picture of a fader with 1024 resolution. Inaudible even at 256 steps of attenuation for typical mixing maneovers, but at 1024 only people from Krypton are going to hear a detented gain change. You'd be hard pressed to move an analog pot or fader 1,024 times before you increased or decreased gain fully, you'd likely be overcompensating quite a bit. ITR, digital gain structuring isn't as smooth as analog when zoomed down to the 1/100ths of dB's, but it's certainly more accurate to maintain unity gain or match gain between different devices for the user. It kind of reminds me of fighter jets, they can design jets that pull more than 9 g's, but it's beyond the limits of the strongest pilot to take, so does it make sense to design jets that can pull more than 9 g's, yes and no, not for piloted jets, but for unmanned models it has it's uses. As long as it's the user moving the fader 1024 is plenty.  

The zipper noise on a 256 step fader is definitvely audible when not filtered or ramped. Just feed a sinewave as the audio signal.

Daniel
Weiss Engineering Ltd.
www.weiss.ch

maxdimario

« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2006, 07:20:46 PM »

Quote:

You would be hard pressed to find any support for your claims...
If the digital summing device is not broken, then it is completely predictable in its behaviour.

yes, but who's to say that the behaviour is perfect in every respect, be it predictable or not.

and who's to say that what is deemed acceptable by learned technicians is acceptable by unassuming listeners?

I'd like to ask a question that's been on my mind for some time:
does the data stream and/or the calculation of the data stream vary it's throughput or change it's routing behaviour in any way depending on the amount of functions the mixer is executing at any one time? (fades, pan, efx etc.)

another:

does the data that is fed into the algorhythms consist of only the essential number of bits or is there an internal error correction scheme? does the audio data pass through the system as packets which are buffered or is it a continuous data stream which is perfectly aligned in time?

excuse my ignorance. I don't know how to word the above in any better way.

AndreasN

« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2006, 04:41:57 AM »

Hello!

>yes, but who's to say that the behaviour is perfect in every respect, be it predictable or not.

Smile Good point! As for summing, it's really just simple math. That should be predictable!

>does the data stream and/or the calculation of the data stream vary it's throughput or change it's routing behaviour in any way depending on the amount of functions the mixer is executing at any one time? (fades, pan, efx etc.)

It shouldn't change the behaviour of the computing, but it may add or take allocated CPU time as needed for more or less channels. I'm not coder though, this may be incorrect.

>does the data that is fed into the algorhythms consist of only the essential number of bits or is there an internal error correction scheme?

Most of the movements around inside the box have error detection that requests resending of data if error is detected. Error correction, as opposed to detection, takes more overhead in the data stream.

A single error may be enough to stall the computer. Data integrity is very high inside computing environments.

>does the audio data pass through the system as packets which are buffered or is it a continuous data stream which is perfectly aligned in time?

It's buffered, timing doesn't matter. You could process block B before block A if you'd please, as long as the processing gets done faster than the buffer empties data.

>excuse my ignorance. I don't know how to word the above in any better way.

Had no problem understanding you!

Hope this might help a little. Am sure the big boys will add some more useful notes if needed. Smile

Andreas

danickstr

« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2006, 12:33:59 PM »

I am just a dumb coolie, but I am amazed at the faith that engineers have in assuming that data is converted from a storage medium to a time-dependent stream, buffered and summed perfectly, as if math will magically make it flow without any glitches.  But I guess if an engineer bad-mouthed the current process, he would be committing heresy.  Go holy grailers!
Nick Dellos - MCPE  

Food for thought for the future:              http://http://www.kurzweilai.net/" target="_blank">http://www.kurzweilai.net/www.physorg.com

Jon Hodgson

« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2006, 08:11:50 PM »

danickstr wrote on Mon, 29 May 2006 17:33

I am just a dumb coolie, but I am amazed at the faith that engineers have in assuming that data is converted from a storage medium to a time-dependent stream, buffered and summed perfectly, as if math will magically make it flow without any glitches.  But I guess if an engineer bad-mouthed the current process, he would be committing heresy.  Go holy grailers!

I on the other hand find it amazing that people have confidence in a computer reliably churning out the correct numbers when their lives depend on the plane's fly-by-wire working, or their livelihoods depend on the bank's systems working, or in any of the dozens of computer systems they interact with every day, some of them massively complicated and spanning multiple continents... but somehow think a computer is incapable of reading two sets of numbers off a hard disk and adding them without random errors appearing.

Schallfeldnebel

« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2006, 11:28:06 AM »

"2. Digital throughput time is 14 samples at 44.1k or about 300us. IOW, your signal is out of phase by 14 samples if your ahead device doesn't have two outputs one going to the 01v and the one you are nulling to, delayed by 14 samples. "

As I mentioned a couple of times before, the output of all devices is synchronized at sample accuracy within my Sonic workstation.

"4. Pan law alters between paired channels that are panned hard L and R and two mono channels unpaired and center panned, take that into consideration, when you test, you'll have to adjust by -3dB in some cases."

All thought of. Only hard panned left and right.

"5. The output as Jon said is going to read true 24 bit, because all digital ports max at 24 bit. What you need to do is measure the floor of the dither to get your actual bits. You should get a reading of -95.8 RMS +3dB C weighing or -106.3dB A weighing, for 16 bit. At 20 bit output the noise floor of the dither should be around -120, at 24 bit your floor should read -141.5. The 01v, 03d, 02r, 01v96, 02r96, DM1k and DM2k read all the same on their ports when everything is operating correctly and pan law is set the same."

When I put my Weiss, Sonic and Genex equipment on 16 bit, my Prism DSA-1 tells me 16 bit. When I put the O1V on 16 bit, the Prism DSA-1 tells me the signal is still 24bit, dither on or off makes no difference. I find this at least peculiar.

Erik Sikkema

Bill Mueller:"Only very recently, has the availability of cheap consumer based gear popularized the concept of a rank amateur as an audio engineer. Unfortunately, this has also degraded the reputation of the audio engineer to the lowest level in its history. A sad thing indeed for those of us professionals."

kraster

« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2006, 12:26:04 AM »

Schallfeldwebel wrote on Tue, 30 May 2006 16:28

When I put my Weiss, Sonic and Genex equipment on 16 bit, my Prism DSA-1 tells me 16 bit. When I put the O1V on 16 bit, the Prism DSA-1 tells me the signal is still 24bit, dither on or off makes no difference. I find this at least peculiar.

Erik Sikkema

Hi Erik,

On the apogee AD8000 there is a dip-switch that turns "truncation logic" on or off. Truncation logic is used to identify the bit depth derived from the word-length status bit of the incoming digital stream. According to apogee the option to turn it off was put there because some equipment does not transmit the status bit.

I don't know if the Prism contains some similar process for identifying the bit rate or if it simply counts the bits but it could feasibly be the case that the O1V is not transmitting the status bit and the prism's "truncation logic" (if it exists) is preventing it from reading the correct Bit depth.

My .02 cents

Regards,

Karl

doug hazelrigg

« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2006, 03:46:58 PM »

I'm going to assume the difference we're talking about here was not a matter of measurement but perception

Isn't it possible the "difference" is 100% psychological? IOW, if the test wasn't done blind, certain other factors -- like the ugly color of the Yamaha -- can distort our perceptions?

Why do we assume it's not US, but it's somewhere buried inside what is otherwise a highly precise machine?*

Pro engineers will accuse me of insult, heresy, etc. but afterall, we're not gods, we're human beings, fallible, given to drink, etc.  Surprised

I've been doing this for 3 decades, I've learned that sensory perception is tricky, even and maybe especially so with people who are trained professionals who work in areas that rely chiefly on subjective sensory perception

Do I blaspheme?

Spoken by on who can barely hear a 16khz @ Unity tone any longer... let alone "the clear advantages of using a 96khz SR"

*although I'd remind that ANYTHING digital is subject to fundamental quantum uncertainty -- that's the core principle upon which a gate works -- but I'm pretty certain no human being can resolve his senses THAT well Laughing

Daniel Weiss

« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2006, 06:40:39 PM »

maxdimario wrote on Mon, 29 May 2006 01:20

Quote:

If the digital summing device is not broken, then it is completely predictable in its behaviour.

yes, but who's to say that the behaviour is perfect in every respect, be it predictable or not.

and who's to say that what is deemed acceptable by learned technicians is acceptable by unassuming listeners?

does the data stream and/or the calculation of the data stream vary it's throughput or change it's routing behaviour in any way depending on the amount of functions the mixer is executing at any one time? (fades, pan, efx etc.)

another:

does the data that is fed into the algorhythms consist of only the essential number of bits or is there an internal error correction scheme? does the audio data pass through the system as packets which are buffered or is it a continuous data stream which is perfectly aligned in time?

A digital summation is perfect when it does sum two numbers perfectly in a mathematical sense, which is possible to achieve with todays computers. I guess a summation should not do any coloration to the signal, hence the perfect summation is also prefect in audio terms.
All other questions really do not matter. Whether samples are processed in chunks or streams or what route they take internal to a computer does not matter as long as the sequence of samples is not mixed up and the wordlength of the calculations is high enough to accommodate the wordlengths of the input signals and there are no bit errors due to a faulty hardware.
The timing only matters in the D/A converter (and A/D of course), but that is an entirely different discussion.

Daniel
Weiss Engineering Ltd.
www.weiss.ch

danlavry

« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2006, 07:08:30 PM »

Daniel Weiss wrote on Wed, 31 May 2006 23:40

maxdimario wrote on Mon, 29 May 2006 01:20

Quote:

another:

A digital summation is perfect when it does sum two numbers perfectly in a mathematical sense, which is possible to achieve with todays computers. I guess a summation should not do any coloration to the signal, hence the perfect summation is also prefect in audio terms.
All other questions really do not matter. Whether samples are processed in chunks or streams or what route they take internal to a computer does not matter as long as the sequence of samples is not mixed up and the wordlength of the calculations is high enough to accommodate the wordlengths of the input signals and there are no bit errors due to a faulty hardware.
The timing only matters in the D/A converter (and A/D of course), but that is an entirely different discussion.

Daniel

Actually, the timing issue is very important in summing, not just for AD and DA. Say you want to add 2 equal amplitude sine waves, say 10KHz in frequency. Say one channel is delayed by 50uSec with respect to the other. That would cause complete signal cancellation. More generally, when adding 2 channels with signals that have a "common" portion to both channels, a mismatch in delay will cause some "comb effect" (boosting and netting's across the frequency range). That can make for a real bad audio mix.

So a bad implementation of digital summing could be due to  truncation, and it can also be due to relative delay between channels.

But yes, I agree that digital summation can be and should be done right. It is a no brainer in today's world, and I hope the large majority of implementations are done correctly (word length and delay). In fact, once you are in the digital domain, digital summation is the obvious way to go.

Regards
Dan Lavry
www.lavryengineering.com

danickstr

« Reply #40 on: June 01, 2006, 12:19:07 AM »

thanks dan for a realistic look at the pitfalls that can ensnare a digital summing device.
Nick Dellos - MCPE  

Food for thought for the future:              http://http://www.kurzweilai.net/" target="_blank">http://www.kurzweilai.net/www.physorg.com

Jon Hodgson

« Reply #41 on: June 01, 2006, 04:19:08 AM »

danickstr wrote on Thu, 01 June 2006 05:19

thanks dan for a realistic look at the pitfalls that can ensnare a digital summing device.

It's realistic, however the delay issue is completely controllable from a developer point of view. Sample streams ending up out of phase is not a question of some hard to access mathematical rounding, or some random error popping up in the system, it's down to passing the different signals through processing blocks with different latencies.

For example you might have a choice of two filters, one with a latency of 4 samples, the other with a latency of five. If you are going to pass a different signal through each of these blocks before summing them, then you need to delay the one through the filter with a four sample latency (which is a known factor, it's inherent to the design) by an extra sample. That's not difficult to do.

Actually it has nothing to do with whether the summing is digital or analogue, you'd get exactly the same issue if you converted to analogue after the filters and before the summing.

Things get a bit more awkward when you didn't develop the processing blocks and don't know their latencies. This is why plugin APIs have a facility to report latency to the host, it allows the host to implement delay compensation automatically.

danickstr

« Reply #42 on: June 01, 2006, 11:51:41 AM »

tooo bad they don't work right... Laughing
Nick Dellos - MCPE  

Jon Hodgson

« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2006, 12:29:19 PM »

danickstr wrote on Thu, 01 June 2006 16:51

tooo bad they don't work right... Laughing

Which bit?

Automatic Delay compensation?

Well that is contingent on a plugin correctly reporting its latency, which might vary according to some mode setting for the plugin (in which case the API and host would have to allow for that), and of course the host has to then do the compensation.

However it's hardly rocket science.

danlavry

« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2006, 02:24:34 PM »

Jon Hodgson wrote on Thu, 01 June 2006 09:19

danickstr wrote on Thu, 01 June 2006 05:19

It's realistic, however the delay issue is completely controllable from a developer point of view. Sample streams ending up out of phase is not a question of some hard to access mathematical rounding, or some random error popping up in the system, it's down to passing the different signals through processing blocks with different latencies.

For example you might have a choice of two filters, one with a latency of 4 samples, the other with a latency of five. If you are going to pass a different signal through each of these blocks before summing them, then you need to delay the one through the filter with a four sample latency (which is a known factor, it's inherent to the design) by an extra sample. That's not difficult to do.

Actually it has nothing to do with whether the summing is digital or analogue, you'd get exactly the same issue if you converted to analogue after the filters and before the summing.

Things get a bit more awkward when you didn't develop the processing blocks and don't know their latencies. This is why plugin APIs have a facility to report latency to the host, it allows the host to implement delay compensation automatically.

There are cases where the delay is not a multiple integer of a sample period. Think of say IIR eq's. Yes, a plug-in may have the facility to report latency, but while one can compensate for a latency of non integer multiple (using an all-pass), as a rule, that process is less then perfect in terms of bit transparency, not to mention that some "all pass blocks" alters the phase response (that means the correction of time delays holds over a limited frequency range). Other types of "all pass blocks" are less than flat (amplitude vs. frequency). Choice of implementation is very impoprtent, poor implementation can cause problems.      

But I do agree that analog is not totally free of time difference issues. Analog EQ also have the potential of introducing timing issues.

It is important to realize that summing first followed by EQ is very different then doing (different) EQ on individual channels followed by summing...

The first question in my mind is:
Can it be that digital summing got a "bad rap" because people (users and/or software impementers) did not properly deal with timing differences?

Much of what takes place depends on how one "connects the blocks" of the "system". I think a "typical" analog system is different then a "typical" digital system. In the case of digital, one has a lot of ability to do things that would cost a lot in analog. For example, in digital, one can do a separate EQ, a separate re-verb, a separate limiter, a separate compression on each channel... The software allows a lot of flexibility. In analog, it would cost a lot more to equip each track with a hardware EQ, a hardware re-verb, a hardware compressor....

The above may seem to indicate that digital is "better" due to the all that flexibility. But a lot of flexibility also means a lot more ways to screw things up. Of course a good solid professional will understand that it is un natural to apply a lot of re-verb to a piano, and not to the orchestra (or visa versa). A real pro will most often use compression AFTER the mix, not on some individual tracks... and so on...

The lesser flexibility of a typical analog system (mostly due to cost driven consideration) tend to guard the less experienced user from some major screw ups that are very easy to do in digital.

So my question is: How much of the "bad rap" of digital summing is due to misuse of modern digital audio workstation? I do not know the answer. I do know that many newer users and less knowledgeable users audio computing tend to "overdue things", which does screw up the end results. Just because the tools are there does not mean one has to use them Sad

Regards
Dan Lavry
http://www.lavryengineering.com

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.082 seconds with 18 queries.