R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Another GWB thread  (Read 7965 times)

Fibes

Re: Another GWB thread
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2006, 03:56:15 PM »

It's nearly impossible to participate.

The media is duped year in and year out by shrewd PR folks leaking stories creating non-issues and dividing our country with them. More quality and less quantity; CNN (24 hr.) was the start of the end for actual journalism.

During the last election the red herring issue was gay marriage; next time it will be gay adoption. The pubs did a wonderful job making everyone forget about what issues were important to the survival of this country and managed to get out enough homo haters to swing the election into four more years of "paid for president."

I'm considering running in 2008.

My platform will be based on environmental concerns under the umbrella of the environmental party.

No i'm not some liberal tree hugger.

The slogan will be:

Save our country and save the environment; put a quick end to the human race.

"Slay the humans in 2008"

Fibes
-------------------------------------------------
"You can like it, or not like it."
The Studio

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewArtist ?id=155759887
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse2

John Ivan

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2006, 04:22:07 PM »

Well Fibes, I think your right. BUT. I don't think it's impossible to participate. If the American people started to do their own home work and they focused on the issues that really matter, the sub issues that barely mean anything will quickly be moved to the side. Remember, CNN, MSNBC,FOX, and all these other people are in a market driven business. News isn't really news and if people are more in tune with the real issues, that's what they will cover more.

I'm an optimist though. I think we can make a difference if we try. I sure hope I'm right.

Hey, I'd vote for ya but I already told Miles I would vote for him so, What di I do Confused

JI.............................................
"Transformation is no easy trick: It's what art promises and usually doesn't deliver." Garrison Keillor

danickstr

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2006, 08:17:45 PM »

fibes for president???? should be good for some laughs at least.
Nick Dellos - MCPE  

Food for thought for the future:              http://http://www.kurzweilai.net/" target="_blank">http://www.kurzweilai.net/www.physorg.com

wwittman

« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2006, 12:08:43 AM »

I'm definitely for a Jefferson...
someone who for one thing is not a Christian would make a pleasant change.

William Wittman
Producer/Engineer
(Cyndi Lauper, Joan Osborne, The Fixx, The Outfield, Hooters...)

danickstr

« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2006, 12:23:06 AM »

Smile
Nick Dellos - MCPE  

Food for thought for the future:              http://http://www.kurzweilai.net/" target="_blank">http://www.kurzweilai.net/www.physorg.com

Tidewater

« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2006, 01:11:26 AM »

We all build our walls.

In this time, I would expound on Patrick Henry's speech, and truthfully echo his very words.

We could all agree on many things, where there presently looks to be a great divide. Just because it's one World, doesn't mean that we are all in the same place.

Our biggest enemy is right here in our midst. It's each of us, and our affiliations to intrests outside of the basics.

Good luck. Keep humanity in mind. Civilization depends on your every move, and blah blah blah...

So fragile, it is.

How drunk I am. Hey Tik.. Smile

M
Time Magazine's 2007 Man of the Year

wwittman

« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2006, 03:07:40 AM »

John Ivan wrote on Mon, 15 May 2006 16:22

... Remember, CNN, MSNBC,FOX, and all these other people are in a market driven business. ...

I'm not sure that's strictly TRUE.

they'r ein an advertising drvien market.. and you could make the case that advertising depends on viewer ratings...

but that's not the whole story.
Advertisers ALSO support the point of view... it's a complex formula.
If a company thinks deregulation is good for their industry, and by supporting Fox they support voices of deregulation, that can weigh against ratings.

NONE of the cable "news" channels has huge audiences in comparison to the big networks.
Still.

American Idol has a big audience; not Bill O'Reilly.
William Wittman
Producer/Engineer
(Cyndi Lauper, Joan Osborne, The Fixx, The Outfield, Hooters...)

Fibes

« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2006, 10:11:35 AM »

As instigated by Miles:

Quote:

Give Me Liberty Or Give Me Death
Patrick Henry, March 23, 1775.

No man thinks more highly than I do of the patriotism, as well as abilities, of the very worthy gentlemen who have just addressed the House. But different men often see the same subject in different lights; and, therefore, I hope it will not be thought disrespectful to those gentlemen if, entertaining as I do opinions of a character very opposite to theirs, I shall speak forth my sentiments freely and without reserve. This is no time for ceremony. The questing before the House is one of awful moment to this country. For my own part, I consider it as nothing less than a question of freedom or slavery; and in proportion to the magnitude of the subject ought to be the freedom of the debate. It is only in this way that we can hope to arrive at truth, and fulfill the great responsibility which we hold to God and our country. Should I keep back my opinions at such a time, through fear of giving offense, I should consider myself as guilty of treason towards my country, and of an act of disloyalty toward the Majesty of Heaven, which I revere above all earthly kings.

Mr. President, it is natural to man to indulge in the illusions of hope. We are apt to shut our eyes against a painful truth, and listen to the song of that siren till she transforms us into beasts. Is this the part of wise men, engaged in a great and arduous struggle for liberty? Are we disposed to be of the number of those who, having eyes, see not, and, having ears, hear not, the things which so nearly concern their temporal salvation? For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst, and to provide for it.

I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience. I know of no way of judging of the future but by the past. And judging by the past, I wish to know what there has been in the conduct of the British ministry for the last ten years to justify those hopes with which gentlemen have been pleased to solace themselves and the House. Is it that insidious smile with which our petition has been lately received? Trust it not, sir; it will prove a snare to your feet. Suffer not yourselves to be betrayed with a kiss. Ask yourselves how this gracious reception of our petition comports with those warlike preparations which cover our waters and darken our land. Are fleets and armies necessary to a work of love and reconciliation? Have we shown ourselves so unwilling to be reconciled that force must be called in to win back our love? Let us not deceive ourselves, sir. These are the implements of war and subjugation; the last arguments to which kings resort. I ask gentlemen, sir, what means this martial array, if its purpose be not to force us to submission? Can gentlemen assign any other possible motive for it? Has Great Britain any enemy, in this quarter of the world, to call for all this accumulation of navies and armies? No, sir, she has none. They are meant for us: they can be meant for no other. They are sent over to bind and rivet upon us those chains which the British ministry have been so long forging. And what have we to oppose to them? Shall we try argument? Sir, we have been trying that for the last ten years. Have we anything new to offer upon the subject? Nothing. We have held the subject up in every light of which it is capable; but it has been all in vain. Shall we resort to entreaty and humble supplication? What terms shall we find which have not been already exhausted? Let us not, I beseech you, sir, deceive ourselves. Sir, we have done everything that could be done to avert the storm which is now coming on. We have petitioned; we have remonstrated; we have supplicated; we have prostrated ourselves before the throne, and have implored its interposition to arrest the tyrannical hands of the ministry and Parliament. Our petitions have been slighted; our remonstrances have produced additional violence and insult; our supplications have been disregarded; and we have been spurned, with contempt, from the foot of the throne! In vain, after these things, may we indulge the fond hope of peace and reconciliation. There is no longer any room for hope. If we wish to be free-- if we mean to preserve inviolate those inestimable privileges for which we have been so long contending--if we mean not basely to abandon the noble struggle in which we have been so long engaged, and which we have pledged ourselves never to abandon until the glorious object of our contest shall be obtained--we must fight! I repeat it, sir, we must fight! An appeal to arms and to the God of hosts is all that is left us!

They tell us, sir, that we are weak; unable to cope with so formidable an adversary. But when shall we be stronger? Will it be the next week, or the next year? Will it be when we are totally disarmed, and when a British guard shall be stationed in every house? Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot? Sir, we are not weak if we make a proper use of those means which the God of nature hath placed in our power. The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us. Besides, sir, we shall not fight our battles alone. There is a just God who presides over the destinies of nations, and who will raise up friends to fight our battles for us. The battle, sir, is not to the strong alone; it is to the vigilant, the active, the brave. Besides, sir, we have no election. If we were base enough to desire it, it is now too late to retire from the contest. There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! Our chains are forged! Their clanking may be heard on the plains of Boston! The war is inevitable--and let it come! I repeat it, sir, let it come.

It is in vain, sir, to extenuate the matter. Gentlemen may cry, Peace, Peace-- but there is no peace. The war is actually begun! The next gale that sweeps from the north will bring to our ears the clash of resounding arms! Our brethren are already in the field! Why stand we here idle? What is it that gentlemen wish? What would they have? Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!

Fibes
-------------------------------------------------
"You can like it, or not like it."
The Studio

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewArtist ?id=155759887
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse2

Annie

« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2006, 12:58:41 PM »

24 hr. news networks are the source of all evil.

I'm tired of hearing people talk

I'm tired of people

and

talking

and especially

talking talking points

i wish politics were more about issues and less about identification.

Fibes, I can get behind your slogan.  
I suggest teaming up with Miles on one ticket.  
iconoclastic!

John Ivan

« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2006, 05:42:49 PM »

wwittman wrote on Tue, 16 May 2006 02:07

John Ivan wrote on Mon, 15 May 2006 16:22

... Remember, CNN, MSNBC,FOX, and all these other people are in a market driven business. ...

I'm not sure that's strictly TRUE.

they'r ein an advertising drvien market.. and you could make the case that advertising depends on viewer ratings...

but that's not the whole story.
Advertisers ALSO support the point of view... it's a complex formula.
If a company thinks deregulation is good for their industry, and by supporting Fox they support voices of deregulation, that can weigh against ratings.

NONE of the cable "news" channels has huge audiences in comparison to the big networks.
Still.

American Idol has a big audience; not Bill O'Reilly.

Yes. Excellent point.The thing is, there are some interesting people with shows on some of these 24 hour news channels but, it's to few to warrant the existence of the channel.It mostly ad's up to 24 hour scare tactics and "look at all the bad things that happened to the Pretty people today". YUK!!

Hi Annie and welcome,

It's not really People I don't like, it's just the constant Breathing IN AND OUT AND IN AND OUT. Drives me NUTS!! Shocked
"Transformation is no easy trick: It's what art promises and usually doesn't deliver." Garrison Keillor

danickstr

« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2006, 12:42:53 AM »

from my perspective the crux of the republican theme is " I work hard and I am responsible for myself, so I should be able to reward myself with benefits due to my self-reliance."  In essence this is not really a bad notion.

The problem with this type of thinking in 2006, however, is that the world is more fragile in many ways now and the benefits are not necessarily due to those people who feel they deserve them.  or not available at such an inconsequential cost.  This kind of sucks, because their fathers enjoyed them without a care.  Well too bad, things change and you got screwed.  But with 3rd world issues so miserable, I just can't take pity on you.

we need to make sacrifices that will preserve this world for our OWN children and grandchildren, and stop worrying about our own fat asses and the crying for losing the priviliges "due" us, like tax breaks for wealthy folks and isolationist immigration policies.
Nick Dellos - MCPE  

John Ivan

« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2006, 01:38:31 AM »

The world is not more fragile now. Americans are just starting to notice how fragile it's always been that's all.

Funny, I never really understood the Republican Party that way. Really, for a long time now the GOP has just been a big multi franchise corporation selling the idea , a very very twisted idea about Moral values to scare people into voting for them so the Homo's don't wreck their country Smile .. Really, as a group, I've never known a more uninformed batch of troubled people. They scare me anymore.

The Democratic Party is really fragmented more than ever before and seem very lost now and I'm not a "member" anymore really but, I could be again. Maybe.

The fact that the Republican Party claim Rush and Hanity and all those other sick bastards is enough for me to stay far away from them. The fact that McCain talked at Falwell's university the other day means that I can't hear one more word that comes from his mouth ever again. Evil these people with there pissed off guy with the beard up in the sky. Yikes.

GOD himself will end up in the White House. You watch..

piggy piggy piggy's everywhere

Tidewater

« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2006, 01:42:00 AM »

I agree with the principle Nick, but I think the fat needs to be cut from the government.

There is a mile of flab on this bitch.. let's trim it down about 50%, and see how it looks.

Don't worry so much about Global warming.. it's really Galactic warming.. they just don't want you to know that. We have as much effect on the ecosystem, as say... a hill of ants has on a baseball mound.

Unless you meant the human condition, and then I still say cut the spending on the government side. It's the people's money, and it's supposed to be the people's government.

I personally don't buy $3,500,000 toliets for myself, and Ted Kennedy doesn't need 1000 more in his state, anymore than Arnold needing tax payer sponsored hydrogen pumps.

We shouldn't have to educate people who aren't under our jurisdiction. For instance, Spanish speaking Mexican children eat our resources, and slow down the citizen children. The illegal healthcare thing has been done to death.. but you know..

This free society roots itself in volunteering, and the good will of the people. To force us is an whole other thing.

After the cold war, we restructured our military some. It's made to strike like fire, and come home, yet the polititians refuse to let it work as it was speced. We lose face, we lose Americans, we get angry, the bad guys still breathe, and plot, and wait until we are weaklings, and fighting ourselves.

Kick ass. I don't need the names. Hurry Home Honey!

Civilization depends on it.

Oh, and completely privatize space... let public companies bid those government space projects, on a budget. It's time for the people to benefit from the market of space exploration.

NASA is like Lewis, and Clark... thanks for the map, boys.. now move.

M
Time Magazine's 2007 Man of the Year

Daniel Farris

« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2006, 06:28:00 AM »

/0 wrote on Wed, 17 May 2006 06:42

We have as much effect on the ecosystem, as say... a hill of ants has on a baseball mound.

Have you looked at the ecosystem in and around Chernobyl? There ISN'T one. Everything is dead.

DF

bblackwood

« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2006, 07:36:50 AM »

bacon skin wrote on Wed, 17 May 2006 05:28

/0 wrote on Wed, 17 May 2006 06:42

We have as much effect on the ecosystem, as say... a hill of ants has on a baseball mound.

Have you looked at the ecosystem in and around Chernobyl? There ISN'T one. Everything is dead.

Actually, you couldn't be more wrong.

Not only is the ecosystem around Chernobyl thriving, scientists are saying they aren't even seeing deformations of the offspring born there...
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.077 seconds with 16 queries.