R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: SSL g384 help  (Read 5038 times)

meverylame

SSL g384 help
« on: April 30, 2011, 03:58:44 AM »

So I've been setting up a home studio with no air conditioning for a mix so of course the SSL g384 pooped out the other as I was setting up. I cracked it open and found that the 10 ohm resistors in front of the compressor section of the unit had blown on the +18 and -18 volt rails on just one channel. I'm not a super technical dude but I know enough to be able to repair that. So I replace both resistors and the unit now passes audio on both sides but the unit sounds distorted. A tech recommended that I try the factory calibration found the manual (which of course I don't have, any ideas?). Any ideas for a not super tech guy?

Bruno Putzeys

• A contrarian for no reason at all.
Re: SSL g384 help
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2011, 05:55:19 AM »

The 10 ohm resistors are used as cheap fuses (and as free filtering). For this purpose they use resistors that will fuse instead of burn when overloaded. If they blow it's the same thing as with a fuse: don't replace unless you know what caused them to go. So the original fault is still there (you could check the voltage drop across the resistors to convince yourself). I would not count on it being a calibration problem.
Not necessarily expressing the opinion of www.grimmaudio.com or www.hypex.nl
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 22 queries.