R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Did you Know Pre-Amps with EQ do not impact on vocals?  (Read 1896 times)

Asagaai

Did you Know Pre-Amps with EQ do not impact on vocals?
« on: May 11, 2006, 09:44:33 am »

Gotta share this one with you guys.

Been working off/on an album for 4 months-tracked 6 songs-problem with female vocalist-really strong brassy voice upper mid/high-bit thin low.  Been using SP828-very clean and non coloured.

Of the 6 songs-only happy with 2 songs vocals-1 a real nice ethereal ballad, and another high edged notes. SO the SP suits.

Anyways-vocalist not happy with other 4 tracks which are much more beefy and dirty in nature-too thin-etc.  SO I get a chameleon labs 7602, and have had a friggin hard time sortin out the fractious beast. Now I heard raves and some knockin-initially I thought was crap-but its actually great-just need to work it--but finally nailed it with moderate eq in low, low mid, nil on upper, and had to dial in significant pad reduction on NT 2000 mic in omni.  

Now, tracked 2 songs and the sound is a revelation, real nice smoky sound thats broad shouldered and real present-whereas the SP 828 sounded bit one dimensional.

Anyways, I am real chuffed with myself and am expecting a pat on the back or a bit more, and the singer, after I have worked it and got 2 great tracks, says -"I think I am really growing as a singer-and its all happened over the last day-can you hear my lows now-its because I am finally relaxing."

I try pointing out different pre-eq- and she says "No, its not that-its still my voice, dont you know, you cannot change that, -its just me growing as a singer."  

Jeez am I tempted to get her back on the SP 828!!!SO much for the pat on the back or something more!
GJ
Newcastle/OZ

Fibes

Re: Did you Know Pre-Amps with EQ do not impact on vocals?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2006, 10:00:21 am »

Whatever inspires her to perform the best is why you're there.

Always keep that in mind and you'll get plenty o' pats on the back...
Fibes
-------------------------------------------------
"You can like it, or not like it."
The Studio

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewArtist ?id=155759887
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse2

John Ivan

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2006, 11:50:05 am »

Yes and give her credit for what ever she needs you to!. She's a singer. If she thinks she's grown as a singer in the last day  because she can hear more bottom, Let her believe man.

Please don't spend a lot of time showing the musicians tech stuff.And don't you dare put her back on the shitty pre! You are Flying! This means YOU are responsible for the airplane and just because a passenger blew your sense of worth does not mean you should sabotage the landing gear. Right Very Happy

JI.......................
"Transformation is no easy trick: It's what art promises and usually doesn't deliver." Garrison Keillor

Dave Martin

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2006, 12:49:28 pm »

Fibes wrote on Thu, 11 May 2006 09:00

Whatever inspires her to perform the best is why you're there.

Always keep that in mind and you'll get plenty o' pats on the back...

Yep. Is she feels like she's performing better, then she's performing better. That's how it works. And, I should add, it's NEVER gonna be your doing that she's performing better - at least, not if you're just engineering... (And for some singers, not even the producer coaxing the best out of each line means that the producer helped - it just meant that she 'rose to the occasion'.)

Smile, nod, take the check.
Pages: [1]   Go Up