R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: WUMP comments and opinions...  (Read 16835 times)

cerberus

Re: WUMP comments and opinions...
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2006, 12:19:47 PM »

viitalahde - imo, a class above the first four submissions. sounds like a record!  remarkable.

how much time did this take? could you discuss your approach...particularly the structure of your chain and the order in which you build it up?  (e.g. any parallel processes?... do you work through a peak limiter, or do you add it after the other processsing is dialed in?)

jeff dinces

Viitalahde

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2006, 12:39:34 PM »

Sure, I'll tell, it's no secret. Nothing fancy was used. But I think the techniques should be discussed after all submissions are in? Or?
Jaakko Viitalähde
Virtalähde Mastering, Kuhmoinen/Finland
http://www.virtalahde.com
   http://www.facebook.com/pages/Helsinki-Finland/Virtalahde-Ma stering/278311633180

mbruce333

« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2006, 01:42:05 PM »

Viitalahde wrote on Thu, 11 May 2006 09:39

Sure, I'll tell, it's no secret. Nothing fancy was used. But I think the techniques should be discussed after all submissions are in? Or?

I'm up for waiting to discuss techniques as I'm a bit late to the dance!  I'll be doing mine tonight, so tomorrow y'all can have at it!  I've recently moved into a new room with new gear, so this is a great chance to get some feedback and see how I'm doing!  Til then....

Mike Bruce
Mike Bruce
myspace.com/auricleaudiomastering

Ged Leitch

« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2006, 03:54:50 PM »

Yeh, i think it's best to discuss gear used and techniques etc after all the entries are in.

cheers,
Ged.
http://bitheadmastering.co.uk/

"...But I don't wanna be a pirate!"

cerberus

« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2006, 06:35:16 PM »

aivory - beautiful cymbals...but some of the same flaws in the mix are still showing, as in my version.. the lead instruments are not forward enough. proportionally, i feel a big bottom; a bit constricted feeling compared to the mid-range lead instruments; and a bit processed and overemphasized feeling compared to the other frequency regions.  the kick drum sound is not distinguished enough from the bass for me... still better than my effort in many ways, but not balanced as well as viitalahde's.

bleen - very nice... and loud.  not unlike viitalahde's in terms of overall dynamic and frequency balance...but not as loud sounding...and doesn't quite go as far to making the track seem as if it had been recorded just this morning. rounder transients, more obvious distortion, it does sound pushed, but like myself and alex, you did not push the lead instruments to "the front" enough.  kick is a bit sticky over a weaker bass for me, i strain to hear what the bassist is playing, but the tone is nice.

ged - despite your praise for my top end, i prefer the way you handled the cymbals it did not need to be so "cd era" bright after all. your lead instruments: the guitars and the surrounding flanger effect...so beautiful.. and in the intro, the ambience: very evocative of a past era. overall it sounds very much like what i wanted to achieve...but i could not resist modernity in some ways; it is better for something to be true to itself. i don't mean the mix; the music, i mean.  yours has some "authenticity factor" that we all missed.   vittalahde did something very current sounding. i like your "classic" approach.. i hear a sense of tape saturation effect that is totally appropriate somehow... a lovely pillow of a noise floor too.

jeff dinces

Viitalahde

« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2006, 02:14:25 AM »

All righty, time for more comments on the latest stuff.. (I'm listening this stuff on a mini stereo system BTW)

Bleen: Sounds pretty balanced, but thin. I miss something in the middle. Respected the original pretty well.

Aivoryuk: Has the sound of the original, but done in a way where it's easy to accept that this is what they wanted. Good ideas and a different approach.

Mbruce333: I feel there's a hole in the mid-range & something a little sharp is going on. Not too "present". The high end is pretty nice, except in the sibilants it sounds a little "off".

Ged Leitch: Good balance of frequencies, respects the original but adds a hefty touch of the ME on it. Pretty natural sounding, I dig it.

...I should've fixed that honkiness on mine. Especially audible when the phaser thingy locks in the area..
Jaakko Viitalähde
Virtalähde Mastering, Kuhmoinen/Finland
http://www.virtalahde.com
   http://www.facebook.com/pages/Helsinki-Finland/Virtalahde-Ma stering/278311633180

F. Davis

« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2006, 07:08:07 AM »

cerberus wrote on Thu, 11 May 2006 03:02

Ged Leitch wrote on Wed, 10 May 2006 21:49

Yeh Jeff, good stuff, liked the highs, you prob never even touched em but they're nice and smooth.
thanks ged, i did touch the highs.. a lot... so i appreciate your kind words.

feargal's has a very forward sounding mid area which i think suits the song's aggression, but it also feels resonating a little out of control, so i'd suggest a slightly longer release time.. this does solve this issue i would have run into if ged asked me to make mine much louder.. the whole middle of my rendition would begin to recede if i just pushed the limter as much as feargal did. but despite being so loud sounding, his rendition sticks out it's chest, it's proud to be loud.. i like it for that ballsy-edgyness.

chrisj's seems clean and tranparent to the mix... top end is too aggressive for me; but it's very refined, silken almost considering how aggessive the top of the mix is to begin with. not as much distortion as the others.

lukef.  this is a bit punk-aggressive for my taste, now the band sounds a lot more like: the clash! (opinion) i don't disagree with that aesthetic but i am too aware of the dynamics processing..not yet pumping, but starting to bend inward in the way that compression can do.  great tension however.

jeff dinces

I agree with most of what you said here Jeff(Cerebus). And in this case I am "proud to be loud" as I think it suits the song. Because the mix is so lacking in power I think it needed a bit of balls. However I do think mine ended up a bit edgy in the upper end of the vocal ( 3 to 4 kHz) which I would change that if I were to do it again.

Chris Js is nice but I also do not like the brightness in the cymbals which do nothing for the song IMO.

Cerebus- Yours seems to be lacking in the mids - Did you use some kind of MS encoding or am I fooling myself? I never really play with that kind of jazz. (must do sometime though)

Aivoryuk- Think yours is probably the most suitable for the song so far. I however think that there is too much of a tone in the snare around 700-800 Hz which is probably from the room I guess. I'd have to cut a bit there.

Of course all this is just fixing a nasty enough demo really when it boils down to it.

Please let me have it if anyone has any comments on my attempt.

Fergal Davis
Just get it done!

cerberus

« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2006, 08:41:28 AM »

F. Davis wrote on Fri, 12 May 2006 07:08

Did you use some kind of MS encoding or am I fooling myself?

i think it's better to wait to discuss technique and gear in this forum until the deadline; as ged suggested. in the meantime i will pm you with that 411.

jeff dinces

F. Davis

« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2006, 08:45:32 AM »

Ok .
No bother.

Sorry to Jump the Gun Rolling Eyes
Just get it done!

cerberus

« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2006, 08:59:32 AM »

feargal, i pm'd you...

=====

seems as if either the time factor or having heard what is already definitely possible has already affected the submissions.

i am interested to know  who did this entirely from their imagination.  i think if one hears other renditions before submitting theirs...it doesn't fully exercise their ability to find the target.  

jeff dinces

Pingu

« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2006, 10:03:24 AM »

Yah, i dont want to hear anyones take on it, till ive done mine.

Gets too confusing otherwise.
If I defend myself I am attacked. But in defenselessness I will be strong, and I will learn what my defenses hide.

F. Davis

« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2006, 10:13:08 AM »

I for one can say that I didn't listen to anyone elses when I did mine.

If I had I probably would have taken a bit more time.
Just get it done!

NoWo

« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2006, 10:22:21 AM »

Well,

I did mine shortly after Ged linked his wave. I did not not hear anything of the other guys when I did my treatment.
You will believe it immediately after listening to my file, because it differs a lot from the others.

I wanted the mix to sound so that I would/could like it if I would have been a member of the band or the artist, so it is not a cautious mastering or a neutral one.

Norbert

NoWo

« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2006, 10:25:24 AM »

F. Davis wrote on Fri, 12 May 2006 15:13

I for one can say that I didn't listen to anyone elses when I did mine.

If I had I probably would have taken a bit more time.

...and you should not have done it, because besides of my own I like your the most  Smile

Maybe just a little louder

Norbert

F. Davis

« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2006, 10:57:10 AM »

Thanks,

Haven't heard yours yet
Just get it done!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 19 queries.