R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Jack the Bear's Deluxe Mastering opens  (Read 29155 times)

jackthebear

Re: Jack the Bear's Deluxe Mastering opens
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2006, 06:19:33 PM »

Bob Olhsson wrote on Fri, 12 May 2006 00:44

How old is George? I thought of him as being middle-aged when I first encountered him in the early 1970s.

George is well into his 70's and it doesn't look like he is stopping soon. I'm pleased to say he looks well and is in great physical condition.

Tony "Jack the Bear" Mantz
Glorified Tape Copy Boy and
Audio Janitor
Deluxe Mastering
Melbourne, Australia
deluxemastering.com.au
+61 419234100
Facebook | twitter | MySpace

jackthebear

« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2006, 10:00:26 AM »

Just got in from a great day of tuning the room and having George Augspurger do his thing. The man is a genius and watching him work the room is (to quote Chris Athens) "pure artistry".

Thankfully there was nothing in the build that was a problem. We just moved speakers and worked a bit on the stereo sub placement. I'm really pleased I went the extrta yard to bring him out here. Best money I have spent this week.......

Audio Janitor
Deluxe Mastering
Melbourne, Australia
deluxemastering.com.au
+61 419234100

Jerry Tubb

« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2006, 01:36:42 PM »

jackthebear wrote on Fri, 12 May 2006 09:00

We just moved speakers and worked a bit on the stereo sub placement...

Tell us more JTB... speaks aimed just inside the rooms' rear corners?

Did that extra "octave" on the bottom appear at some point, with placement?

Sometimes an inch will make it happen.

I must admit, I've gotten some vicarious pleasure from looking at your pic.

Like the soothing earth tone colors.

How about a pic from front to back? Ceiling Clouds?

Cheers Tony and Enjoy...

JT
Terra Nova Mastering
Celebrating 20 years of Mastering!

jackthebear

« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2006, 07:03:55 PM »

Jerry Tubb wrote on Sat, 13 May 2006 03:36

jackthebear wrote on Fri, 12 May 2006 09:00

We just moved speakers and worked a bit on the stereo sub placement...

Tell us more JTB... speaks aimed just inside the rooms' rear corners?

Did that extra "octave" on the bottom appear at some point, with placement?

Sometimes an inch will make it happen.

I must admit, I've gotten some vicarious pleasure from looking at your pic.

Like the soothing earth tone colors.

How about a pic from front to back? Ceiling Clouds?

Cheers Tony and Enjoy...

JT

Hey JT,

Glad you like it..needless to say I'm having a bunch o' fun in my own place!!!

The first thing GA did was listen to the room without anything on and walked around for a bit. Then he put his reference disk on (James Taylor)........sorry the title escapes me now but it was mastered by TJ and it wasn't slammed. There was also the usual pink noise test etc...

He immediately felt the upper mids were somewhat lacking which was due to poor speaker placement from my end. He immediately knew what to do. We raised the speakers onto concrete blocks, spiked them and moved them back a little (10 inches) back. This brought the tweeter nicely into line relative to my new listening position. There is about 3.5 metres between my console and the Duns

Instantly the imaging improved and the upper mids presented themselves beautifully. I never heard the Duns sound so good!!!!! The speakers were bi-wired at this point.
Then we revereted to bi-amping the system and GA tweaked the balance. At this stage of preceedings I was in Heaven!!!!

I had the opportunity to check out some of my own reference disks and was blown away by the fact that I was hearing stuff in these rekkids that I thought I knew like the back of my fists.

At this point GA personally felt the subs were not necessary. I asked if we could set them up anyway. So we positioned the subs not too far away from where the speakers were on the outter side of them in small increments. After some discussion we settled on a position that in both our opinions gave the best combination of tightness and extension.

That pretty much was it.

I'm glad you like the pic JT. I will be launching my website on MOnday and there will be a gallery with plenty of kewl shots.

The color scheme worked out great and you're right the room has a very relaxed vibe.

Off to work!!!!!!

Audio Janitor
Deluxe Mastering
Melbourne, Australia
deluxemastering.com.au
+61 419234100

Ed Littman

« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2006, 09:27:24 PM »

jackthebear wrote on Fri, 12 May 2006 19:03

The first thing GA did was listen to the room without anything on and walked around for a bit. Then he put his reference disk on (James Taylor)........sorry the title escapes me now but it was mastered by TJ and it wasn't slammed. There was also the usual pink noise test etc...

He immediately felt the upper mids were somewhat lacking which was due to poor speaker placement from my end. He immediately knew what to do. We raised the speakers onto concrete blocks, spiked them and moved them back a little (10 inches) back. This brought the tweeter nicely into line relative to my new listening position. There is about 3.5 metres between my console and the Duns

Instantly the imaging improved and the upper mids presented themselves beautifully. I never heard the Duns sound so good!!!!! The speakers were bi-wired at this point.
Then we revereted to bi-amping the system and GA tweaked the balance. At this stage of preceedings I was in Heaven!!!!

I had the opportunity to check out some of my own reference disks and was blown away by the fact that I was hearing stuff in these rekkids that I thought I knew like the back of my fists.

At this point GA personally felt the subs were not necessary. I asked if we could set them up anyway. So we positioned the subs not too far away from where the speakers were on the outter side of them in small increments. After some discussion we settled on a position that in both our opinions gave the best combination of tightness and extension.

That pretty much was it.

I'm glad you like the pic JT. I will be launching my website on MOnday and there will be a gallery with plenty of kewl shots.

The color scheme worked out great and you're right the room has a very relaxed vibe.

Off to work!!!!!!

Tony!!
Now I'm jelous. I never had George come out here (I was to affraid he would require rebuilding some shit...& I was broke)

Now I really wonder what I'm missing... although,just a few weeks ago Doug Doug Van Sloun from Studio B In Omaha stopped in & helped me move my duns (3a's)a few inches wider. it moved the 60hz node i had in the listening position to between the back of my chair & the couch... perfect! no mans land. that made my day.

Ed

Ronny

« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2006, 02:25:10 PM »

Good to see you've reached the final stage, Tony, congrats.
------Ronny Morris - Digitak Mastering------
---------http://digitakmastering.com---------
----------Powered By Experience-------------
-------------Driven To Perfection---------------

Michael Costa

« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2006, 12:48:56 AM »

Hey Tone - I'll drop in one day soon ... maybe when I finish mixing this album you're gonna do for us.  Finally us Aussies are getting on the map for mastering!

Great effort mate!

Jerry Tubb

« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2006, 04:41:31 AM »

Hey Tony - just saw your updated website with new pics... lookin' good bro !

http://www.jackthebear.com.au/

So it's been 2-3 weeks now in the new room, any new observations?

The Manley mastering console... Oh Yeeeaaah !

Cheers  JT
Terra Nova Mastering
Celebrating 20 years of Mastering!

jackthebear

« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2006, 09:21:38 AM »

Jerry Tubb wrote on Thu, 01 June 2006 18:41

Hey Tony - just saw your updated website with new pics... lookin' good bro !

http://www.jackthebear.com.au/

So it's been 2-3 weeks now in the new room, any new observations?

The Manley mastering console... Oh Yeeeaaah !

Cheers  JT

Thanks JT,

Yeah JT the Manley mastering console is just the dog's chisel!!!!!
Very Happy

The site was a result of using pros to do the shots and design.

I have settled in very nicely into the new room thanks. Been very busy and rackin up a lotta miles in it. Making decisions with great confidence.

People comment how well the bottom end translates and how even the room sounds as well as it's great vibe.

Getting the power filtration devices and A/C cords for all the components, computahs and drives has also made an astonishing difference, despite my running brand new phase 3 into the building.

Adam Dempsey is coming over on Saturday to give it a hiding.......he might report back with his findings.

Audio Janitor
Deluxe Mastering
Melbourne, Australia
deluxemastering.com.au
+61 419234100

Adam Dempsey

« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2006, 11:47:14 PM »

Yes, well I took along some reference CDs and, over a great latte, suffice to say I found I didn't even need to be facing the speakers to appreciate the greater definition in response and imaging. I can't say I can compare re the power filtering with or without but everything really "sat up" with the better (read: accurate) hi-mid details than before.
The strings in "Billie Jean" extended out beyond the left channel, surely as was the original intent.
Guitars in a local band's album had just the right amount of "bite".
From Wish you Were Here, a popping "P" in the line "Blue skies from pain," that I'd never heard before - now that's saying a lot, coming from a Floyd fan of more than 20 years. Some acapella and percussion tracks I'd mastered showed up more variance in low end than I expected.
And the sub bass just as tight and unwaivering when walking around the room. More depth in the image than I remember from previously, too. Nice!
Adam Dempsey
Jack the Bear's Deluxe Mastering

Add presence, or subtract absence?

jackthebear

« Reply #40 on: June 05, 2006, 02:00:09 AM »

Thanks Adam,

Well at least the latte was good!!

Very Happy
Audio Janitor
Deluxe Mastering
Melbourne, Australia
deluxemastering.com.au
+61 419234100

joeaudio

« Reply #41 on: June 05, 2006, 01:04:38 PM »

jackthebear wrote on Thu, 11 May 2006 13:42

compasspnt wrote on Thu, 11 May 2006 15:57

If you've seen one Jack the Bear room, you've seen them all.

Congratulations!

Do you franchise?

Hey Terry,

Sure........I'll swap you one of mine for one of yours.........
Razz

We had our initial listening session this evening and overall George like what he saw and heard.
I think our day tomorrow will be a fairly short one with a few tweaks here and there which is nice to know. It's always a bit nerve racking until the designer steps in to critique the build.

I'll keep you guys posted.

Nice looking room MR. "The Bear". But I'm a little confused.
I work my ass off, spend tons of dough, tweak until I'm ready to drive an ice cream truck for a living and then have some one (George Augsperger or Moses) come in and tell me if it sounds good ?
What if you thought it kicked ass and were ready to make the best masters you've ever made in your life the room is rockin'
your world and Mr. A comes in and says sounds like shit we'll have to change everything.
Kind of like telling a painter there's too much light in here
your work is gonna look like shit.

Joe Yannece
Classic Sound NYC

ammitsboel

« Reply #42 on: June 05, 2006, 01:57:02 PM »

joeaudio wrote on Mon, 05 June 2006 19:04

I work my ass off, spend tons of dough, tweak until I'm ready to drive an ice cream truck for a living and then have some one (George Augsperger or Moses) come in and tell me if it sounds good ?
What if you thought it kicked ass and were ready to make the best masters you've ever made in your life the room is rockin'
your world and Mr. A comes in and says sounds like shit we'll have to change everything.

Hi Joe,
For me the art starts where the fixed mind stops.
Different opinions are always very interesting they just have to be used the right way. The greatest art we have is defined by others opinion though... and some of it had to travel through many years or decades before it could be appreciated.

If you take the sentence about the "fixed mind" literally, it means that while you do "your thing" it may only be you that truly knows if it's good or bad.

That is if you make an art out of mastering...

Best Regards
"The male brain is designed for ecstasy" -Dr. Harvey "Gizmo" Rosenberg

TotalSonic

« Reply #43 on: June 05, 2006, 03:05:12 PM »

joeaudio wrote on Mon, 05 June 2006 18:04

Huh?  Joe - you've completely lost me with this line of thinking.  In terms of acoustics - what good is things sounding "kick ass" if it doesn't translate outside of your room??   GA has designed and then integrated monitors into dozens of great sounding rooms.  Don't you think his experience and perspective on what tweaks (i.e. in this case simply moving speakers) could be invaluable considering that the room is brand new to Tony also and that George might have some insights as to the quickest way to as balanced and even of a response as possible?

I think just as people go to specific ME's for their experience and ears - the same can be said for acousticians, acoustic architects, and studio room designers.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

ammitsboel

« Reply #44 on: June 05, 2006, 05:35:32 PM »

TotalSonic wrote on Mon, 05 June 2006 21:05

Huh?  Joe - you've completely lost me with this line of thinking.  In terms of acoustics - what good is things sounding "kick ass" if it doesn't translate outside of your room??   GA has designed and then integrated monitors into dozens of great sounding rooms.  Don't you think his experience and perspective on what tweaks (i.e. in this case simply moving speakers) could be invaluable considering that the room is brand new to Tony also and that George might have some insights as to the quickest way to as balanced and even of a response as possible?

I think you are both right to some extent.
Joe is the guy that wants to do it on his own and maybe create something unique.
Steve is the guy that wants to use others to create something common.

Am I wrong?
"The male brain is designed for ecstasy" -Dr. Harvey "Gizmo" Rosenberg
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 21 queries.