R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Really Great Head Phones  (Read 24418 times)

trebor_zaid

Re: Really Great Head Phones
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2006, 07:05:45 PM »

so which are great headphones for tracking, and which are the ones you give to the producer for listening and the artist for destruction?  Laughing

Should an engineer get like 3 different types of cans? What are you looking for in a pair of tracking cans freq response wise? Do you want a flat response, some rise in some frequencies,....vhat? Vhat ees eet that makes a goot headphone.....GOOT?! Wink Differences between dynamic and condensor headphones,......sheesh I didn't even know there were types like that.

Also, headphone.com although an awesome resource, thanks for the mention, doesn't have, under "by application", studio work. They have 10 Best Headphones, Replacing Cheap Headphones, Traveling, iPod, Exercise, TV, and Audiophile. No Professional or Studio category. Or is that Audiophile?
r

PS: and the areas that might explain all this tech stuff is under construction on headpnone.com's website  Rolling Eyes
r

runamuck

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2006, 08:30:10 PM »

Check  out Grado Headphones. I think its difficult to find anything better. Not good for tracking though because they are open backed.

Oliver

« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2006, 09:54:11 PM »

Try www.head-fi.org

Some real good info there, and a LOT of useless stuff.

I like the 580s too. 7506s are tough but hyped up top imo.

hargerst

« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2006, 12:11:31 AM »

The high dollar Beyers, Sennheisers, and AKG's are all pretty cool phones for serious listening.  I love the Grados, but I can't tell a damn thing on them; they're too musical to use for evaluating - everything sounds great on the Grados. Even stuff I know is shitty.

For most musicians, the MoreMe's are good enough, and as people have pointed out, they're about as indestructable as your basic cockroaches.  A lot of people prefer the MoreMe's to Sony 7506's and AKG 240's - go figure.

For drummers, we use MoreMe's, the Metrophones, or Studio Kans.
Harvey "Is that the right note?" Gerst
Indian Trail Recording Studio

tom eaton

« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2006, 08:50:15 PM »

I find the Beyer DT770pro cans very bright... they have terrific bottom end, no lo-midrange and tons of zing.  The cans I've settled on are the Audio Techinca ATH-M40fs, which sound better than any reasonably priced sealed phone I've tried.  I have Sony 7506s, MDR-V6s, 7509s, AKG240s (which bleed but sound wonderfully warm to me-I pull these out for my overdubs because I don't crank my own headphone mix), and a couple pairs of Senn HD600s kicking around, and though I do love the HD600s for mix checking and general detail qc, they're useless for tracking.  The AT phones get loud, don't distort and can be had for $60-70 each if you look around. I've got five or six pairs of them now, and have only lost one pair in everyday use in five years.  Replacement drivers are $50, so just buy another pair!

-tom

John Ivan

« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2006, 09:50:38 PM »

I like the 7506's for tracking but they are a few bucks more than I want to spend. I can't imagine blowing them up though!! God, that would be VERY loud.

Thanks for your thoughts.

JI.................................
"Transformation is no easy trick: It's what art promises and usually doesn't deliver." Garrison Keillor

Daniel Asti

« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2006, 03:12:14 PM »

runamuck wrote on Wed, 10 May 2006 20:30

Check  out Grado Headphones. I think its difficult to find anything better. Not good for tracking though because they are open backed.

I love my Grado's and Senneheiser are my favs.

hargerst

« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2006, 11:21:57 AM »

John Ivan wrote on Sun, 04 June 2006 20:50

I like the 7506's for tracking but they are a few bucks more than I want to spend. I can't imagine blowing them up though!! God, that would be VERY loud.

Yes, but it happens with loud rock bands.  The other common failures with 7506's are broken, unsolderable leads, and the ear covers literally disintegrating.

odysseys

« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2006, 02:11:35 PM »

sony 7509 here.VERY satisfied.
Good take is all it takes.

Scratchy Potts

« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2006, 03:49:52 PM »

I use the AKG K240`s and know these very well
Im comfortable with them,but! sadly the lead as just about given up on my last pair.

How do the Moreme`s stand in comparison ?
every one seems to rate them quite highly,and im sorta tempted to buy a few pair!....waddya think???
If ya cant fight,,,,,,,,,,wear a "Big Hat"!!!

hargerst

« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2006, 04:31:00 PM »

Scratchy Potts wrote on Tue, 06 June 2006 14:49

Im comfortable with them,but! sadly the lead as just about given up on my last pair.

every one seems to rate them quite highly,and im sorta tempted to buy a few pair!....waddya think???

The MoreMe's aren't as power hungry as the K240's.  They're not great for critical listening, but they work good for general tracking.

And you can buy some MoreMe's, try them for a while, and if you decide you don't like them, send 'em back for a full refund.

john.reeve

« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2006, 01:58:26 AM »

hargerst wrote on Tue, 06 June 2006 14:31

Scratchy Potts wrote on Tue, 06 June 2006 14:49

The MoreMe's aren't as power hungry as the K240's.  They're not great for critical listening, but they work good for general tracking.

And you can buy some MoreMe's, try them for a while, and if you decide you don't like them, send 'em back for a full refund.

I really thing that the AKG K240 and the more me's are a different kind fo thing.

I don't have the 240s (I prefer my Senn 280s), but my father-in-law has some.  They are nice and seem pretty good for listening to stuff that needs a lot of detail.  They also seemed light and comfy.

I have 5 of the more-mes, and I use them to give to folks when I need a bunch of headphones to hand out to whoever.  Really, what makes them great is that they are nigh on indestructible and aren't very uncomfortible to wear.

But these two sets of phones are different tools. The AKGs  are for when you need detail, and the MMs are for when you just need soemthing to give folks so they can cue.

hargerst

« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2006, 10:52:48 AM »

I agree.  But where else can you find a seller that says, "look, my product isn't all that great."?  As I've said many times, the MoreMe headphones are like the cockroaches of the headphone world.

When I called George Massenburg to see howe he liked his four sets of MoreMe headphones, he replied, "I haven't had a chance to listen to them; they got here, I opened the box and immediately used them for a session.  I haven't listened to them yet."

Maybe I shoulda just called them "AssSaver" headphones.  Cuz that's what they really are.  Are they great headphones? Hell, no.  But they're cheap, loud, and rugged.  

And they'll still keep working when all the expensive phones are sitting in a "fix pile" somewhere in the studio. And that's what they're all about.

John Ivan

« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2006, 12:53:02 PM »

Right Harvey, and that's what I'm lookin' for. They need to sound good enough to not piss the talent off to bad, {mostly, I'm talking about the band, and five or six other guys, and myself, Mostly.}. And I don't want them blowing up so, these sound like it for tracking.

I'll listen to a few top end phones for my ears only. It would be nice if, between the two types, I could be done buying phones for a good five years or so. THAT would be great.

JI.......................
"Transformation is no easy trick: It's what art promises and usually doesn't deliver." Garrison Keillor

RWNorman

« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2006, 12:23:01 PM »

Harvey's right about the More Me headphones.  I have several pairs, along with numerous others, and they require the least amount of maintenance, are loud enough to give cues to the players, and don't cost a fortune.  Others in the price range I've purchased (like the ATH 3D) don't cut it in a studio with frustrated musicians, and it's way to expensive to put beyers onto a client's head unless they are in the control room.

I have both beyer DT 990s and 770s in my "fix pile".  The More Me headphones are still ready to grab at a moment's notice.

They do sound a little better, however, when filled.
Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 21 queries.