R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Really Great Head Phones  (Read 24423 times)

Fibes

Re: Really Great Head Phones
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2006, 02:53:57 PM »

RWNorman wrote on Thu, 27 July 2006 12:23

Harvey's right about the More Me headphones.  I have several pairs, along with numerous others, and they require the least amount of maintenance, are loud enough to give cues to the players, and don't cost a fortune.  Others in the price range I've purchased (like the ATH 3D) don't cut it in a studio with frustrated musicians, and it's way to expensive to put beyers onto a client's head unless they are in the control room.

I have both beyer DT 990s and 770s in my "fix pile".  The More Me headphones are still ready to grab at a moment's notice.

They do sound a little better, however, when filled.

Lookie, more R.A.P. at R/E/P.

Welcome.
Fibes
-------------------------------------------------
"You can like it, or not like it."
The Studio

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewArtist ?id=155759887
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse2

Collins

« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2006, 02:27:59 PM »

I like my AKG K240M's as well, i was trying to buy a couple
extras....seems they have been discontinued.

Anybody know of a place that still has some?
I've checked my usual places, but no luck so far.

I'd like to stay with 600ohm....seems the newer stuff
is all 55ohm...more computer compatible you know...heh.

Ive looked at the Senns as well and might
give those mentioned a try.
as well as the MoreMe's...thanks Harvey/Chance.

Thanks,
Paul

Mike P

« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2006, 08:58:25 PM »

Wow, I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the Ultrasone line of headphones.  They are absolutely amazing! I've owned everything (AKG K141's, 240DF's, 240m, Sennheiser 600's, AT's, etc.) and I've never heard anything that's even close to the sound of the Ultrasones.  

I have a pair of HFI-550's and a pair of Proline 550's.  They're awesome for tracking.  There's so much clarity and articulation in the bottom end that they sound like studio monitors.  They are also extremely loud and there's no distortion at high volumes.  The HFI's have a little more midrange than the Proline, so vocalists tend to like the HFI's a little more.  I love tracking with the Proline's because I can feel the kick and bass in the phones.

maarvold

« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2007, 11:55:02 PM »

Here's my unscientific (shoot from the hip) report card on headphones:

Sony 7506--suckout in 'warmth & body' region (200-400 Hz); bright & clear but 'skinny'

Fostex T20--darkish... they'll take some punishment.  They seem amplifier-dependant somehow: they sometimes sound good, but sometimes lackluster

AKG 240--generally good tonal balance, won't take a lot of punishment; there have been stories that the drivers are wired out of absolute polarity, meaning that singers--because they also hear themselves physically--will hear their reproduced voice as thin when both sources combine.  Have not confirmed this, but it is a concern.  

Sennheiser 280 Pro--initially liked these a lot.  Great isolation, pretty good tonal balance and probably, in the long term, I will prefer these to any of the headphones listed above.  Bottom not terribly extended, but overall more natural frequency response than he 7506's and Fostex's.  Probably will prefer them to the AKGs as well, but the jury's still out.  Not good enough/flat enough to mix on, but they are fun to listen to.  

Grado 225--used these for years.  Open back so no good for tracking/overdubbing (generally speaking).  The original flat foam earcups are more accurate in the low end than the recessed ones.  Good-sounding & pretty extended in both directions.  Although they served me well at the time, they have been retired for several years, originally replaced by:

Sony MDR-CD3000--pretty great headphones.  Leaning just slightly towards the bright side, they also accentuate sibilance even a tiny bit more than their slight brightness.  Other than that, good, apparantly flat response and very extended on the bottom end, excellent isolation from leakage.  They'll play fairly loud without strain and are extremely comfortable, although a bit big & bulky.  Unfortunately I think they have been discontinued.  

Sennheiser HD600--open backed, these headphones have, by a good margin, the closest tonal balance to my 4 way custom monitoring system (and treated room) on which I have worked incredibly hard.  If you like, and understand, Tannoy Golds with Mastering Lab crossovers, I predict you could comfortably and easily mix a good-sounding record using only these headphones.  Bottom end is quite extended and fairly powerful.  These are my new reference.  Not as comfy as the Sony CD3000s, but close.  I'm pretty sure George Massenburg said he likes these (the Sennheisers)  a lot when he was still hosting a forum here.  I love mine.  
Michael Aarvold
Audio Engineer

calaverasgrandes

« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2007, 10:59:42 PM »

For the last like 15 years I have always had a pair of 7506's (or more recently V600's which I am told are the same driver) and a pir of K240's. I use the sonys for tracking/vox/overdubs and the 240's to hear the details in the mix that I am not getting from monitors.  Especially for stereo ear candy and fiddly midrange guitar tone stuff.  Sony's are great in some respects, but the older I get the more that diamond hard treble gets on my nerves.  It is just is little too much. However they just dont break very easy, and have little bleed.
Russ D'Arensbourg digital recordist, network technician, multi-instrumentalist.

rollmottle

« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2007, 12:28:07 AM »

Barry Hufker wrote on Mon, 08 May 2006 18:33

Your best resource is http:www.headphone.com

I have a pair of Sennheiser 600s.  The Sennheiser 650s are supposed to be even better for high quality listening.

Barry

i love that site. those dudes take their headphones seriously. i have an earlier model of their airhead headphone amp and a pair of Sennheiser HD570s the combination of which sounds killer for casual listening. i had a brief encounter with the beyer 770s during a mix session and they were great reference cans.

i have a pair of AKG240s which i use to give me a more real world view of a mix seeing as they are a little thin on the bottom end and generally pretty even.
SENTRALL Sound East
My SoundCloud | Twitter | www.sentrall.com

tom eaton

« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2007, 08:07:31 PM »

I've sold all my ATHM40s, k240s, 770s, 7506, 7509, k270s  and bought 6 pairs of the AT M50 phones.  They are better sounding to me than any other closed headphone I've ever heard.

I have two pairs of HD600s which generally sit connected to a DAC1 for mix checking (me and producer or client), but every other can in house is now an ATHm50.  

I was VERY surprised at the sound quality of these... they simply kill the M40s I had in regular use here, and are more comfortable, too.

-tom

hargerst

« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2007, 11:25:39 PM »

How much are they?
Harvey "Is that the right note?" Gerst
Indian Trail Recording Studio

tom eaton

« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2007, 11:51:56 PM »

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ATHM50/
$189.99 at Sweetwater  (Save $9.01 when you buy today!!)

http://cgi.ebay.com/AUDIO-TECHNICA-ATH-M50-HEADPHONES-ATHM50  -PRO-PHONES_W0QQitemZ230162158043QQihZ013QQcategoryZ3274QQss PageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
$99 new on eBay...

Fairly rugged... not for being thrown to the floor on a daily basis... I deal with "folkies" here... most of 'em have manners and don't just drop them on the floor when they're done.  

http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/headphones/0edf909675b1be4 d/index.html

tom

Trumpetman2

« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2007, 09:22:50 AM »

Mike P wrote on Wed, 02 August 2006 20:58

Wow, I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the Ultrasone line of headphones.  They are absolutely amazing! I've owned everything (AKG K141's, 240DF's, 240m, Sennheiser 600's, AT's, etc.) and I've never heard anything that's even close to the sound of the Ultrasones.  

I have a pair of HFI-550's and a pair of Proline 550's.  They're awesome for tracking.  There's so much clarity and articulation in the bottom end that they sound like studio monitors.  They are also extremely loud and there's no distortion at high volumes.  The HFI's have a little more midrange than the Proline, so vocalists tend to like the HFI's a little more.  I love tracking with the Proline's because I can feel the kick and bass in the phones.

Evil or Very Mad WEll...I bought these about a year ago and simply HATED them...they sound "tunnel-like"  maybe mine are defective, but they sound like crap....and at almost $300, I'm not taking another chance on ANY of these... Sad

Tomas Danko

« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2007, 09:32:29 AM »

Trumpetman2 wrote on Mon, 03 September 2007 14:22

Mike P wrote on Wed, 02 August 2006 20:58

Evil or Very Mad WEll...I bought these about a year ago and simply HATED them...they sound "tunnel-like"  maybe mine are defective, but they sound like crap....and at almost $300, I'm not taking another chance on ANY of these... Sad

When I auditioned the Ultrasone line it wasn't for me, but I discovered that lesser models sounded more "right" to me compared to the top models. I can clearly see how fatigue will be less of a problem when using these headphones, the difference that way is huge compared to other brands.
http://www.danko.se/site-design/dankologo4s.gif
"T(Z)= (n1+n2*Z^-1+n2*Z^-2)/(1+d1*z^-1+d2*z^-2)" - Mr. Dan Lavry
"Shaw baa laa raaw, sidle' yaa doot in dee splaa" . Mr Shooby Taylor

Dave Martin

« Reply #41 on: September 03, 2007, 03:31:46 PM »

I keep a few different kinds of phones in the studio - Sony 7506's for general use, Fostex T20's since a number of fiddle players don't like the sound of their instrument through Sony's, a pair of GK Ultraphones for drummers (and acoustic guitarist that really live a lot of click in their phones) and a couple of pairs of Harvey's More Me headphones for the deaf guys who have blown up some of my more expensive ones).

MikeNice81

« Reply #42 on: September 19, 2007, 06:02:31 PM »

tom eaton wrote on Sun, 04 June 2006 20:50

I find the Beyer DT770pro cans very bright... they have terrific bottom end, no lo-midrange and tons of zing.  The cans I've settled on are the Audio Techinca ATH-M40fs, which sound better than any reasonably priced sealed phone I've tried.
-tom

These are the ones I use for mixing, monitoring, and tracking. I have been forced to mix a whole project on a set of these phones. When I was through mixing I tossed the cd in to a Bose car audio system. The sound coming out in the Bose system was exactly what I expected from the phones. The mix was then tested in a factory Hyundai system. It still translated well and required minimum (no more than 2db of bass, treble, or mid)tone control adjustment.

I wouldn't trade my ATs for any other set of phones out there.

Trumpetman2

« Reply #43 on: September 22, 2007, 10:20:11 AM »

MikeNice81 wrote on Wed, 19 September 2007 18:02

tom eaton wrote on Sun, 04 June 2006 20:50

I find the Beyer DT770pro cans very bright... they have terrific bottom end, no lo-midrange and tons of zing.  The cans I've settled on are the Audio Techinca ATH-M40fs, which sound better than any reasonably priced sealed phone I've tried.
-tom

These are the ones I use for mixing, monitoring, and tracking. I have been forced to mix a whole project on a set of these phones. When I was through mixing I tossed the cd in to a Bose car audio system. The sound coming out in the Bose system was exactly what I expected from the phones. The mix was then tested in a factory Hyundai system. It still translated well and required minimum (no more than 2db of bass, treble, or mid)tone control adjustment.

I wouldn't trade my ATs for any other set of phones out there.

Except for the AT M50s maybe....? Twisted Evil

MikeNice81

« Reply #44 on: October 01, 2007, 11:46:11 AM »

Nah, I bought mine less than a year ago for $78. I can't see justifying spending double. Especially when these still work like a champ.

For the last six months mine have been stored in my car trunk when not in use. The are still in like new shape even if the box isn't. I wouldn't want to risk the mojo and durability on something I haven't experienced.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.058 seconds with 20 queries.