R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: NTI/Nightpro EQ3  (Read 14195 times)

Dave Peck

Re: NTI/Nightpro EQ3
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2005, 05:49:14 PM »

robot gigante wrote on Wed, 25 May 2005 21:09

Also, I mix as well and I can see myself using it a lot when mixing.  Steve, any tips on how you use it would be appreciated (though perhaps maybe a better topic for another forum).

I have the EQ3D and I use it for mixing. Sometimes tracking, mostly for mixdown. My studio is mostly a big pile o' synths & an analog console, and it works very well for EQ'ing the synths. I often patch it to a pair of submix inserts to EQ an entire group of tracks as a stereo pair (I often use several synths/tracks to create, say, one string sound or giant synth pad).

If I'm looking for gentle tone control instead of corrective EQ, the EQ3D usually works way better than the channel strip EQs.

lucey

« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2005, 11:42:50 PM »

robot gigante wrote on Thu, 26 May 2005 12:49

I use a HEDD for A/D and it doesn't sound too brittle for what I've tried it on so far.

right on ... the HEDD AD and the NTI are a good match
Brian Lucey
Magic Garden Mastering

"the economy is a wholly owned subsidiary of the ecology" - unknown

yeloocproducer

« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2006, 09:42:05 PM »

sorry to dig this one back up... but I have an opportunity to pick up an EQ3d... apparently, this unit does not have the same transformers as the EQ3... has anyone compared them sonically?  I'm looking for something to replace my GML8200 on the mixbuss... all I ever use it for is a little shelf after the compressor at 10K and I think the NTI might be the ticket.  Then I can free up the 8200 for other duties...

mcsnare

« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2006, 10:39:13 PM »

It works great for that, but a few caveats: Watch the input level, it gets nasty when driven to overload, and use a tone to set the  levels of boost(or cut)on each side, cause the knobs don't always match up when set to the markings.
Dave McNair

Andy Krehm

« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2006, 10:56:57 PM »

mcsnare wrote on Wed, 25 May 2005 14:34

I had an EQ3D for a few years and used it from time to time in recording and mixing. It works pretty well for that, but when I tried it out for mastering, it wasn't the lack of flexibilty that killed it for me, it was the lack of headroom and a noticeable brittle quality to audio passing through it. I wouldn't recommend it for mastering.
Dave McNair

I had my unit modded, which fixed the lack of headroom.

I really like it for mastering, as an option, as I have lots of other gear. The air band is outstanding and the sub is useful.

Really my only complaint is that b/c the EQ3-D is not notched, it takes a bit of work to get the sides balanced but for some masters, well worth the effort.

Andy,

Silverbirch Productions.

J.J. Blair

« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2006, 01:50:34 AM »

Is the EQ3 the two rack space one and the EQ3D the one space?  I have the original one, and have had it since the mid '90s.  I use it on the two buss on almost every mix.  It's particularly great for getting that top end that seems to be missing from 48 and 44.1 ITB mixes.  I've never had any headrom problems with my unit.
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

Ivo

« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2006, 03:21:03 AM »

lucey wrote on Thu, 26 May 2005 19:01

this is a point that is oft overlooked .. taste is not only subjective, but the other components change the individual pieces.

IBIS and HEDD192 = good

IBIS and Prism = cold

for example

And IBIS and Lavry Blue ?
Rolling Eyes
Ivo

VELVET MASTERING
www.velvetmastering.com

SAVITA MUSIC
www.savita.cz

e-cue

« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2006, 11:54:45 AM »

J.J. Blair wrote on Tue, 09 May 2006 22:50

Is the EQ3 the two rack space one and the EQ3D the one space?

Correct.

There were also 2 8 channel of the EQ3 made with 'modules'.  Guess who owns one of them? Twisted Evil

I have 3 of the EQ3D's and a PreQ as well.  Yahtzee.
http://www.miamimusicstory.com/wp-content/ani_cone.gif

yeloocproducer

« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2006, 12:11:50 PM »

Any comparisons btwn. the NTI single space and double as far as sound quality, transformers, etc.?  I realize the single space guy has no detents...

robot gigante

« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2006, 03:03:37 AM »

Andy Krehm wrote on Tue, 09 May 2006 22:56

mcsnare wrote on Wed, 25 May 2005 14:34

I had an EQ3D for a few years and used it from time to time in recording and mixing. It works pretty well for that, but when I tried it out for mastering, it wasn't the lack of flexibilty that killed it for me, it was the lack of headroom and a noticeable brittle quality to audio passing through it. I wouldn't recommend it for mastering.
Dave McNair

I had my unit modded, which fixed the lack of headroom.

I really like it for mastering, as an option, as I have lots of other gear. The air band is outstanding and the sub is useful.

Really my only complaint is that b/c the EQ3-D is not notched, it takes a bit of work to get the sides balanced but for some masters, well worth the effort.

Andy,

Silverbirch Productions.

Interesting, who modded your unit and what did they do to it?

I'm still loving mine btw.  

I also picked up a PreQ3, not too shabby either but maybe a little thin sounding.  Are you using yours a lot, e-cue?
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 22 queries.