R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mixing a rehearsal tape for a choir  (Read 838 times)

Clueless

Mixing a rehearsal tape for a choir
« on: May 04, 2006, 10:48:12 AM »

I've been asked to help record a choir for the purpose of helping choir and church members master (or at least become familiar with) about three dozen hymns.

My first thought was to record with basically three mics: one cardioid for the Basses and Tenors, one for the Altos and Sopranos, and some appropriate mono mic for Piano or Organ accompaniment.  Then, for mix down, I'd print the lower voices plus accompaniment on one channel and the higher voices plus phase reversed accompaniment on the other.  In this fashion, one could use the balance control to hear one's section plus comp, one's opposite section plus comp, or just the choir (plus whatever bleed the cardioid mics pick up) if played in mono.

Is that a good way to go?  Are there other techniques I haven't thought about?

wa Edwards

Re: Mixing a rehearsal tape for a choir
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2006, 03:36:48 PM »

I just did something like this.  
I found micing individual sections challenging when it came mixdown time. More trouble than it was worth for a rehersal mix. And most people would rather just pop the disk into the machine than fiddle with the balance knob (if there even is one) to find their part.

For fast and "easy", I'd recommend a stereo pair in front of the choir (A-B or ORTF, whatever works for you in that room). Then put a pair on the instruments (organ, piano, whatever) and spots on whichever two vocal sections are weakest.  Maybe a pair of room mics in case everything ends up too dry.  You want the mix a little dry so the vocal direct sound stands out a little, but not sterile.

If you get a good image and general balance, people will be able to pick out their parts.

YMMV.

W

Clueless

Re: Mixing a rehearsal tape for a choir
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2006, 07:09:41 PM »

Thanks for the suggestion--I forgot I have a pair of Sennheiser MHK 70s that I could put to use.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 17 queries.