R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: the brick?  (Read 23239 times)

blueboy

Re: the brick?
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2006, 03:30:31 PM »

Gilliland wrote on Mon, 08 May 2006 11:53

You needn't take me seriously if you don't choose to.  But I've got plenty of experience with equipment in this category (we are in the "Budget" section of the board, no?).  And if you overpaid when you bought your Brick(s), that's unfortunate.  If so, though, that's your own conclusion - it's certainly not one of the points that I've made here.

My point is simply that an opinion made by someone that has had an incredible amount of experience with high end equipment is of much more value to me than someone with a limited perspective.

I'm sure there is no shortage of people on this forum with an incredible amount of experience using "budget" gear, but I am looking for the best bang for the buck, meaning budget gear that gets me as close as possible to that "high end" sound.

If you have no experience with high end gear, and what it is that makes it sound superior, how can you judge the relative performance? When people post their opinions on this forum I like to qualify their statements by checking out their background first. I generally tend to place greater weight on those statements made by recognized professionals with years of experience.

The REP forums have a very high ratio of knowledgeable posters. I am here to learn, and these people are willing to teach. The fact that people with that level of experience are willing to share their opinions (especially on budget gear) is what makes this forum so great. You are of course entitled to your opinion, but please do not push away the "valued contributors" by annoying them.

I'm not saying someone should buy any product based solely on the opinion of someone more experienced, but they should at least recognize the potential value in their opinion. I would not have kept the Brick if I was unable to hear the difference from my vast collection of "budget" preamps. Even if I was unable to hear a difference at first, I would have at least attempted to "educate" my ears before returning it. The bottom line of course is that if you can't hear a difference, it is of no value to you.

The internet is a great equalizer in that it allows everyone to "communicate" on the same level....it does not "equalize" their real world experience.

JL
"Only he who attempts the absurd can achieve the impossible." ~ Manuel Onamuno

starscream2010

« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2006, 03:48:54 PM »

I normally don't post in this neck of the woods but, I have to say that the very fact that Terry would even consider one of these preamps much less actually use them on something as important as drum overheads and not tambourine, synth, shaker or something along those lines is enough to make me want to check them out, IMHO. He has a whole arsenal of stuff to use and chooses those, I mean, I can't think of a better endorsement of a product and take into consideration he doesn't get paid to talk about or use The Brick (or Rode mics for that matter).... My .02
"Three thousand years of beautiful tradition, from Moses to Sandy Koufax... "

Nick Evans

www.nickolusevans.com

Gilliland

« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2006, 05:26:30 PM »

blueboy wrote on Mon, 08 May 2006 20:30

When people post their opinions on this forum I like to qualify their statements by checking out their background first. I generally tend to place greater weight on those statements made by recognized professionals with years of experience.

The REP forums have a very high ratio of knowledgeable posters. I am here to learn, and these people are willing to teach. The fact that people with that level of experience are willing to share their opinions (especially on budget gear) is what makes this forum so great. You are of course entitled to your opinion, but please do not push away the "valued contributors" by annoying them.

It isn't clear to me exactly how or why anyone would be annoyed by my posts on this topic.  I've been cordial and honest in my remarks, and respectful to those with whom I correspond here.   If you truly believe that I don't have sufficient experience to give you a useful report on a mic pre, then please feel free to disregard what I have to say.  I won't be offended.  

I, too, appreciate the contributions of people who have experience with products that I haven't used, as well as those who have experience with projects that I haven't tackled.  I also generally expect that others here will appreciate my contributions for the same reasons.  I have less experience than some here, and yet more than many others.  And my unique set of projects gives me a different perspective, which may add a useful set of ideas to the discussion.  I certainly qualify as a "recognized professional with many years of experience".  But my experience is in recording for broadcast, not for commercial release.  It's a somewhat different world, yet there are many similarities.

I guess I'm most puzzled as to why my remarks have stirred up any controversy.  It's not like my opinions are that different from others here.  I haven't slammed the Brick, and I don't think anyone else here is glorifying it to the high heavens.  The slight variations in our perspectives on this unit are pretty minor.  I don't think anyone is holding it up as a paragon of "mic pre virtue", at least I hope not.  I certainly haven't heard Terry suggest that, and if someone else does, then I respectfully suggest that they should take a good look at the rest of the market.

It appears to me that Terry's "disciples" are being quick to jump to his defense in some perceived attack.  But the fact remains that I haven't attacked, and Terry doesn't need defending.

blueboy

« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2006, 06:15:42 PM »

Number one...please review your posts on this topic if you are confused about the reaction.

Number two...I am defending a "static free" forum, not any individual. I didn't accuse you of attacking anyone, I accused you of being annoying.

Number three...Let's move on, and in the future, preface our comments with our level of experience on a particular topic in order to give other readers a sense of perspective on our posts.

JL
"Only he who attempts the absurd can achieve the impossible." ~ Manuel Onamuno

Gilliland

« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2006, 08:18:48 PM »

blueboy wrote on Mon, 08 May 2006 23:15

Number one...please review your posts on this topic if you are confused about the reaction.

I've done so several times, just to make sure I knew exactly what I had said.  I stand by my statements.
Quote:

Number two...I am defending a "static free" forum, not any individual. I didn't accuse you of attacking anyone, I accused you of being annoying.

Razz My teenagers tell me the same thing.  But in all honesty, the only annoying thing I've done here is to have a well-supported opinion that differs from yours.  Granted, some people do find that annoying.
Quote:

Number three...Let's move on, and in the future, preface our comments with our level of experience on a particular topic in order to give other readers a sense of perspective on our posts.

I agree - we've said all there is to say on this topic.  But I'd have to say it's a bit awkward to ask everyone to preface their comments that way - could get to sound like a bragging contest.  Anyway, have fun with it.  And thanks.

Vertigo

« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2006, 08:32:37 PM »

It's not Terry's stature or career experience that afford him respect on these forums - it's the professionalism, knowledge, sense of humor, and positivity evidenced by his posts that many of us read on a daily basis. Not to mention the amount of knowledge he shares here. That makes it easy to raise hackles.

Quote:

It sounds fine, nothing magic about it, nothing wrong with it either. It's not a "boutique" mic pre. And while it does have tubes and transformers at each end, they don't create a huge "stamp" on its sound.

Have you tried really pushing it hard? I've found a bit of extra magic this way and gotten some really great sounds. And I think they clip nicely on certain sources. I'm a guitarist, so I'm of the mindset that all tube equipment must be pushed to its limit to sound good. Why else would they stick a tube in there??

-Lance

maxim

« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2006, 08:48:19 PM »

jim wrote:

"I've done so several times, just to make sure I knew exactly what I had said. I stand by my statements"

and

"It's a convenient answer, and there's certainly some truth to it, but I note that you sidestepped my question about your experience with the other mic pre"

psychofancy aside, that's a little bit of 'attitude' towards a respected moderator from a forum newbie

not that there is no place for the tood in engineering, but just pointing out the obvious

Gilliland

« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2006, 11:51:00 PM »

Vertigo wrote on Tue, 09 May 2006 01:32

Have you tried really pushing it hard? I've found a bit of extra magic this way and gotten some really great sounds. And I think they clip nicely on certain sources. I'm a guitarist, so I'm of the mindset that all tube equipment must be pushed to its limit to sound good. Why else would they stick a tube in there??

I'm glad you brought that up.  I speculated on exactly that point in an earlier post today.  No, I did not push it that hard.  I'm not surprised to learn that it would show more of its heritage when driven near its max.  Thanks for confirming that.

Gilliland

« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2006, 12:08:39 AM »

maxim wrote on Tue, 09 May 2006 01:48

... that's a little bit of 'attitude' towards a respected moderator from a forum newbie...

Sometimes people read "attitude" into statements even when the "attitude" is not intended by the author.  I choose my words carefully to mean what I intend, but I can't always control the way people read them.  Terry did skip over the question that I had asked him.  And his answer was "convenient" in the sense that it is  true enough, but there's no quick way to demonstrate it conclusively.  We could put together some actual mixes, but it's a lot of work for a minor point.

And I guess I'll have to concede being a newbie to this forum.  I started reading this and several other audio forums on the web over the past year or so.  Prior to that, the only place you'd have probably found me was rec.audio.pro and the few Yahoo groups that I moderate.  I just didn't bother with the web forums.  I'm not sure exactly what drew me in, but since this one had Harvey's name on it, I had to take a look.

maxim

« Reply #39 on: May 09, 2006, 12:45:00 AM »

jim wrote:

"Sometimes people read "attitude" into statements even when the "attitude" is not intended by the author"

as long as you don't resort to smilies, i'm sure we can all have a group hug

CHANCE

« Reply #40 on: May 09, 2006, 12:29:41 PM »

I usually only hang in the whatever works room, and the volume in this room was bleeding over, so I plopped in to see what the comotion was all about, and it's really nothing! Just apples and Oranges. I am not embarrased to say that on occasion I use a Behringer 5 band compressor/EQ/processor for things I find it usefull for, but it would be pointless comparing it to anything. It's just a tool for a purpose like any other piece of gear. I have the Vipre and never tried the brick. What is the Brick anyway? Is it the new and improved version of the Vipre?
Chance Pataki
The Musicians Workshop
musicians.workshop@gte.net
http://www.the-musicians-workshop.com

A person is a biological signal processor--EQ mag

Vertigo

« Reply #41 on: May 09, 2006, 02:58:23 PM »

The Brick is basically a tube preamp in a box with very few features. Oh, and it's hella ugly. I actually took a look inside of mine to see if it would be feasible to rack it but it looks like way too much trouble to me.

It does sound wonderful though. I might have to look into the SuPre myself.

-Lance

Fibes

« Reply #42 on: May 09, 2006, 03:56:19 PM »

Lance,

In the search for widespread nagging and not just playing "jump on the new guy" could you please retrack (sic) that statement about tubes and clipping.

Tubes are not just for clipping.

Nah nah nah nah boo boo.

Fibes
-------------------------------------------------
"You can like it, or not like it."
The Studio

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewArtist ?id=155759887
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse2

Vertigo

« Reply #43 on: May 09, 2006, 06:45:13 PM »

Quote:

Tubes are not just for clipping.

Oh yeah, I forgot that they're sometimes used in power amp stages...

Twisted Evil

But seriously, if they're not meant to be run hot then why do they have built-in heaters? Hmmm...

-Lance

Fibes

« Reply #44 on: May 09, 2006, 11:41:49 PM »

Heh.

You know what I'm saying.

Fibes
-------------------------------------------------
"You can like it, or not like it."
The Studio

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewArtist ?id=155759887
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse2

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 22 queries.