R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: the brick?  (Read 23237 times)

Bill_Urick

Guitar Mart is dropping the Brick.
« Reply #75 on: August 14, 2006, 12:06:45 AM »

I'm in Atlanta-they had to drop ship mine from Alabama. But I got a GREAT DEAL. Cheaper than I can buy them direct as a GT tube dealer. Check your local Guitar Mart before they're all gone!
Good sense is, of all things among men, the most equally distributed; for everyone thinks himself so abundantly provided with it, that those even who are the most difficult to satisfy in everything else, do not usually desire a larger measure of this quality than they already possess.

Trumpetman2

Re: the brick?
« Reply #76 on: August 30, 2006, 04:20:50 PM »

So...what I hear here from respected and knowledgeable sources is - Brick is good but not better than SP 828.  In that case, I'd rather get the 828 as it gives me 8 channels and both XLR and 1/4 outs for just a bit more...right? Cool

compasspnt

« Reply #77 on: August 30, 2006, 04:59:30 PM »

Hey Trump

Actually, just as my opinion, for what that's worth, I would MUCH prefer to use a Brick over an SP 828.

Obviously it is one preamp, compared to eight.

And it has no other features, other than a singular, simple mic pre.

But it uses excellent, simple topography, good components, great NOS Groove tubes, and high quality output transformer.

I would not hesitate to do any recording with this unit.

With the SP 828, I would always think twice, and place it carefully on things of lesser importance.

However, remember that is just one opinion.  Jim Gilliland, for instance, preferred his 828 in many instances.  And you do get more pre-per-buck that SP way.

Regards, and luck.

Trumpetman2

« Reply #78 on: August 30, 2006, 05:46:57 PM »

Comp:  Thanks and I hear you...darn, I guess for a measely $400 the Brick seems to be highly regarded by many pros, and, I'm realy only looking for one good channel for my trumpet..! Going one step further, would I receive much more quality if I spent a bit more than double and spring for the famous GR NV1? Confused

Gilliland

« Reply #79 on: August 31, 2006, 07:51:38 AM »

compasspnt wrote on Wed, 30 August 2006 21:59

However, remember that is just one opinion.  Jim Gilliland, for instance, preferred his 828 in many instances.  And you do get more pre-per-buck that SP way.

Actually, I never said that I preferred my SP828 in any instance (well, except for price <g>).

What I said was that in the situations that I tested, I got no better results with the Brick than I did with the SP828.  The Brick did a fine job, but so did the SP828.  I tested both vocals and direct instrument inputs.  Both came in at mic level via a stage splitter, so I was not using the Brick as a DI.  The resulting tracks were so similar that I simply couldn't tell them apart.

Now, had I driven both pres to their maximums, I have no doubt that there would have been a larger difference (as Terry and others have pointed out).  Transformers and tubes are bound to sound different than transistors when pushed hard.  But at the gentle levels I was recording on that evening, the two units produced nearly identical results.

At the time that I was comparing the units, I decided that I was better off with eight channels of mic pres than two channels for the same price, especially when the results were indistinguishable.  So I returned the Bricks and bought the SP828.  I am still quite comfortable that I made the right decision.  As I said four months ago, I didn't find either unit to be anything "special".  Both did their jobs reasonably well.

Nonetheless, at Guitar Center's closeout prices, the Brick is a steal.  In fact, I just went out and bought one myself.  I paid a LOT less for it this time than I did last year.  

Interestingly, the SP828 recordings that I made on that evening last fall are about to be released as a live album.  My intention that evening was simply to track (and later mix) for a radio broadcast, but the artist liked the recording so much that he opted to make it his next CD.

compasspnt

« Reply #80 on: August 31, 2006, 03:07:53 PM »

There you go, then.

Whatever Works.

ricknroll

Re: Guitar Mart is dropping the Brick.
« Reply #81 on: August 31, 2006, 04:01:34 PM »

Bill Urick wrote on Sun, 13 August 2006 21:06

I'm in Atlanta-they had to drop ship mine from Alabama. But I got a GREAT DEAL. Cheaper than I can buy them direct as a GT tube dealer. Check your local Guitar Mart before they're all gone!

Bill,

What kind of a deal did you get on it?  I called the nearest GC and they told me they have the Brick for $399.  I called another GC across town and they said they didn't have any in stock but could get them in a few days for $399.

Rick

RandyLa

« Reply #82 on: September 01, 2006, 09:59:04 AM »

I just bought one in Edina Minnesota yesterday for 250.00, brand new in the box.
                 Randy
                  Waconia Mn.
Randy LaMora
Waconia Minnesota

Trumpetman2

« Reply #83 on: September 02, 2006, 11:32:32 AM »

Mad CRAP...!  I paid $300 for mine....but...I LOVE IT!!!! Very Happy

Jack Schitt

« Reply #84 on: September 02, 2006, 12:13:54 PM »

I paid $315 for mine a year ago but they are no nonsense performers. Worth it even at list.

Gilliland

« Reply #85 on: September 02, 2006, 05:43:48 PM »

The one I bought last week was $199.  I'm still trying to decide whether or not I need two at that price.

Jack Schitt

« Reply #86 on: September 02, 2006, 06:01:24 PM »

Gilliland wrote on Sat, 02 September 2006 17:43

The one I bought last week was $199.  I'm still trying to decide whether or not I need two at that price.

If you decide you don't want the 2nd I'll take it off your hands.....Smile

compasspnt

« Reply #87 on: September 02, 2006, 07:22:18 PM »

Where please?

Any more available at that price?

Gilliland

« Reply #88 on: September 03, 2006, 08:04:38 AM »

compasspnt wrote on Sun, 03 September 2006 00:22

Where please?  Any more available at that price?

Guitar Center.  As others have already reported, they're closing them out throughout the chain.  If your local GC doesn't offer you a decent price, try seeking out the manager.  Assuming, of course, that they still have the Brick in stock.  

Labor Day edit:  I spoke to the GC manager today who sold me my Brick last week.  They're doing their annual labor day clearance sale today, and he tells me that the $199 that I paid is the price that they'll be using for the clearance sale.  He also tells me that there are over 100 Bricks left around the GC chain in the US, so it should still be possible to find one.  

Middleman

« Reply #89 on: September 09, 2006, 12:03:04 PM »

Yep, I picked one up for $189 last weekend. Now I wished I had picked up the other one the store had.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.068 seconds with 19 queries.