R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: tell me what you think.  (Read 10953 times)

John Ivan

Re: tell me what you think.
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2006, 04:29:04 AM »

rattleyour wrote on Wed, 03 May 2006 17:30

John Ivan wrote on Wed, 03 May 2006 14:59

I know it's OT but, I just thought I would ad that I never use ignore. I think it defeats the whole purpose of this place.

My 2 cents

I don't actually use the ignore feature either, and have very rarely seen any need for such a thing here in the Halls of J...

I do favor the sarcasm feature from time to time.

Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy
"Transformation is no easy trick: It's what art promises and usually doesn't deliver." Garrison Keillor

j.hall

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2006, 12:52:54 PM »

John Ivan wrote on Wed, 03 May 2006 17:19

When I dragged the MP3 into SAM, it goes red on the buss in a number of places. It's plenty loud I think.

the mix was L2'd a tiny bit to bump the level for the band to review.

it only saw .5 dB of reduction as i try to only bring the level up a bit and not do any limiting.

the actual mix is printed at what i would consider a typical level (around -15 dBfs)

j.hall

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2006, 01:12:33 AM »

judah

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2006, 05:29:01 AM »

j.hall wrote on Wed, 03 May 2006 19:09

critique j.hall's latest mix.

http://www.thetarhythm.com/MixCritique/HymnSong1.mp3

the good, the bad and the ugly.  lets have it.

i really want you guys to dive in and tear this one apart.

i did not track or produce, i'm just the mixer.

nice tune! reminds me of low (especially the first part), very nice sounding. low end is very moving. nice ambience. very nice ambience overall. hate the snare. would like to hear more rattle, more of the bottom of it. sorry. great job nonetheless.
Ronnie Amighetti
DIESEL
Laboratorio di registrazione sonora

"I'm fucking busy and vice versa."
Dolly Parton

judah

« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2006, 05:35:30 AM »

j.hall wrote on Fri, 05 May 2006 07:12

what about this one:

http://www.thetarhythm.com/MixCritique/HandlessMan1.mp3

mucho nicer snare! nice tune also. what's the name of the band? I think that both mixes, asides from all critiques, bring out a very nice picture of a band, lots of nice things, very personal. I find that the music speaks for itself and that's a big compliment to every mixer.
Ronnie Amighetti
DIESEL
Laboratorio di registrazione sonora

"I'm fucking busy and vice versa."
Dolly Parton

pg666

« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2006, 09:16:13 AM »

it's good. i preferred the tighter drum sound of the other song, although i prefer the natural ambience to the reverb of before. it's still a bit crispy overall to me.

as long as the balances are right, this stuff is gonna sound good no matter what approach you take. the songs and tones are really good.

MorningStar

« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2006, 10:30:43 AM »

pg666 wrote on Fri, 05 May 2006 09:16

as long as the balances are right, this stuff is gonna sound good no matter what approach you take. the songs and tones are really good.

so even you cant screw these mixes up j.hall!!! Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing

jimmyjazz

« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2006, 11:02:18 AM »

It's hard for me to divorce song from mix.  I like the second tune much more than the first, and so I tend to gravitate to that mix as well.

I really like the way you balanced the violin and the banjo.  The drums sound nice, but they're probably a bit roomy for my taste.  I'd boost the bass just a bit, and brighten the acoustic guitar, too, but man, you did a nice job!

hmm...

« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2006, 01:23:32 AM »

New here...is there a way to make the vocals more resonant?  Seem flat in affect.  Can some particular frequency be boosted to bring them out without changing the smooth aspect the singer seems to be favoring?  I've been playing around with mic placement on my vocals, has made a big difference.  As has changing the tone I sing ith until it 'speaks'....can (lack of this cutting tone) be compensated for at the mixing stage?  Nothing major, just wanted to bring the vocals out a bit without necessarily going whole hog with a level boost.  Just sort of felt a small level boost and some sort of eq or effect change would make it happen,

maybe this isn't making sense....?

but very good job, like the songs and the mixing

thanks,
pb

NelsonL

« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2006, 01:09:34 PM »

hmm... wrote on Fri, 05 May 2006 22:23

New here...is there a way to make the vocals more resonant?  Seem flat in affect.  Can some particular frequency be boosted to bring them out without changing the smooth aspect the singer seems to be favoring?  I've been playing around with mic placement on my vocals, has made a big difference.  As has changing the tone I sing ith until it 'speaks'....can (lack of this cutting tone) be compensated for at the mixing stage?  Nothing major, just wanted to bring the vocals out a bit without necessarily going whole hog with a level boost.  Just sort of felt a small level boost and some sort of eq or effect change would make it happen,

maybe this isn't making sense....?

but very good job, like the songs and the mixing

thanks,
pb

Maybe I don't quite follow... but I think that has more to do with how he sang it than anything else.

John Ivan

« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2006, 01:29:04 AM »

Just 2 things on the second tune. Bring the vocal up all around and drop the hat or un-brighten it for the instrumental part/second half of the tune.

Cool stuff. Nice job.

JI................................................
"Transformation is no easy trick: It's what art promises and usually doesn't deliver." Garrison Keillor

Espen Hvitløksdressing

« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2006, 10:43:22 AM »

I really do not like the snare on the first song. I know this has nothing to do with your mixing, but it sticks out.

The second one is a lot nicer all around. IMO I think the track would benefit from a little bit of close mic'ing of the drums. The snare, although nice sounding, is distant and undefined. How many mic's?  2 or 1 OH's and 1 ambience?

I like this band. Great songs, and cool instrumentation. Great violins on the second song.

MorningStar

« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2006, 10:19:46 AM »

I dont know.... I've listen to these tunes a couple times now and something is just not right... Compared to some older mixes that I've heard you do, something is missing... Its like they're not as deep or wide.

Are you submixing more in the box and sending less out to the Big? Confused  Shocked  Sad

j.hall

« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2006, 10:39:33 AM »

interesting observation.

anyone wanna guess how i mixed it.

anyone else notice anything different then my other work (aside from it being a different band and a slightly different approach)?

did i mix it ITB, summed in stereo pairs, or direct out to the console?

Fibes

« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2006, 04:19:16 PM »

j.hall wrote on Tue, 09 May 2006 10:39

did i mix it ITB, summed in stereo pairs, or direct out to the console?

Can I be Frank? George? Bob?

Who cares?

It either works or it doesn't, it either sounds right or it doesn't and I am tired of the tools being pigeonholed as the "insert buzzword here" culprit.

Yes i'm cranky today.

I just hope you did what you thought was the right thing J. and worked from there. Isn't that what we get paid for? To make the decisions that most positively impact the end result while keeping in mind budget and all other contextual factors.

Cranky cranky cranky.  
Fibes
-------------------------------------------------
"You can like it, or not like it."
The Studio

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewArtist ?id=155759887
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse2

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.069 seconds with 15 queries.