R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: More than just the Converter?  (Read 2442 times)

Werewolf10

More than just the Converter?
« on: May 01, 2006, 05:39:41 PM »

Hey guys.

I have noticed a serious lack of information online about A/D or D/A converters. I was wondering what makes a "good" converter?  What makes a "great" converter?  It seems all the companies do now is just brag about the 192khz AKM chip that they slap into their little breakout box and call it a day.  

I know that the converter can't be "all" that matters right?  I know only three parts that seem to matter, which is the quartz clock, converter chip, and opamp.  Which one of these would make the most differance?  And since good monolithic opamps aren't that much more expensive than bad ones, why would anyone ever skimp on this?  But then again, why is there such a HUGE price gap from "great" a/d converters to "cheap" ones?

How hard is it to get a good clock and monolithic opamp in there?? I mean, hey they already got the great chips right?

Sorry about all the silly questions, but I'm clueless on all this digital stuff.  Just to give you and idea of my background, I have built vintage micpres and guitar amps.  When I look at one of those circuits I can see where my money goes. I can look at the transformers, discrete opamps, tubes and sorts and just know where all the money is...  When I look at my "Lynx One" soundcard, I can't for the life of me find out where all the money goes?
Laugh and the world laughs with you.  Weep, and you weep alone. "oldboy"

Werewolf10

Re: More than just the Converter?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2006, 01:54:04 PM »

I see
Laugh and the world laughs with you.  Weep, and you weep alone. "oldboy"

Jon Hodgson

Re: More than just the Converter?
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2006, 02:38:42 PM »

Dan is the expert on what goes into making a great converter, however I'd like to point out some of the economics which may be involved in your Lynx One.

The first thing to understand is how little difference in cost makes a big difference in retail price on many products.

If the product is sold to retailers through a distributor (the norm for products with a fairly large market) then the distributor probably pays only 20-30% of the recommended retail, so for every $5 in the list price, the manufacturer might get only $1.

Add to that the fact that the manufacturer needs to make a profit, let's say 25 cents in every dollar, then you might be looking at a situation where for every 75 cents extra cost to the manufacturer (be that an extra component, manufacturing cost, or extra engineering time in the design) you see the list price go up by five dollars.

So, basically, small difference in cost at the bottom of the chain = big difference at the top.

Now there's the question of what those differences might be...

better quality components
more components
design time
layout time
more expensive PCB manufacturer (e.g. more layers)
test equipment and facilities
design software

and that's at the low to mid range of the market I'd say.

At the higher end there might be a smaller percentage margin from manufacturer to customer (smaller markets mean that manufacturers are more likely to deal directly with retailers), but you'll be looking at even higher quality designs, which take longer to get right and are more expensive to build (add a high quality power supply and a DSP to do the downsampling for example), all divided across a far smaller customer base.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 21 queries.