R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is it ready for Mastering?  (Read 1471 times)

Skip

Is it ready for Mastering?
« on: April 23, 2006, 11:22:40 AM »

Warning - mp3

Razz

I'm no mastering engineer, so I'll turn this over to you pros. Our band went to local studio and recorded this track:

http://www.psychophobia.net/Get%20Away.mp3

Is it ready for mastering or does this track have "issues"?

Your feedback would be most welcome
Skip
You CAN polish a turd...

Ronny

Re: Is it ready for Mastering?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2006, 11:54:13 AM »

I'd say that it's ready, mix sounds balanced on my system listening at a comfortable level. However, your peak is under -9dB and RMS averages -17dB. I did an overall gain increase, IOW, no compression, just turned up the gain to -.3dB, your RMS is now at -7dB. Obviously you weren't compressing to achieve perceived leveling, otherwise peak gain wouldn't be down to -9dB. IMHO, if you would have left a little more footroom, not headroom (peak), but lower RMS, the ME would have a better file to work with. The tune could be mastered as is, but leaving a bit more RMS, say -12dB and the ME, in my case anyway, will be able to get more clarity when final perceived leveling is applied.
------Ronny Morris - Digitak Mastering------
---------http://digitakmastering.com---------
----------Powered By Experience-------------
-------------Driven To Perfection---------------

Pingu

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2006, 12:28:34 PM »

Quote:

I did an overall gain increase

How did you do this Ronny?

Quote:

if you would have left a little more footroom, not headroom (peak), but lower RMS, the ME would have a better file to work with. The tune could be mastered as is, but leaving a bit more RMS, say -12dB and the ME, in my case anyway, will be able to get more clarity when final perceived leveling is applied.

Do you mean to say that by simply increasing the gain before it goes to the ME, it will enable the ME to deliver a better end result?

How so?

I'm not doubting you, just curious.
If I defend myself I am attacked. But in defenselessness I will be strong, and I will learn what my defenses hide.

MT Groove

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2006, 03:30:12 PM »

Pingu wrote on Sun, 23 April 2006 11:28

Do you mean to say that by simply increasing the gain before it goes to the ME, it will enable the ME to deliver a better end result?

How so?

I think what he meant is even though the peak level is low, the overall track has been compressed quite a bit.  By turning up the gain to "normalize" the track per say, you can really tell that even w/o mastering the RMS is already at -7dB which is pretty "loud."  Did I understand you right Ronny?

Ronny

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2006, 06:57:24 PM »

MT Groove wrote on Sun, 23 April 2006 15:30

Pingu wrote on Sun, 23 April 2006 11:28

How so?

I think what he meant is even though the peak level is low, the overall track has been compressed quite a bit.  By turning up the gain to "normalize" the track per say, you can really tell that even w/o mastering the RMS is already at -7dB which is pretty "loud."  Did I understand you right Ronny?

Yes. I wasn't saying to increase gain before it goes to mastering, I was talking about the compression on the mix itself. I merely increased gain to get an RMS reading without having to subtract the difference from -9dB peak to -17dB RMS. Raise total gain by -9dB, RMS goes to -8dB, or in this case -7.12dB, if I remember correctly.
------Ronny Morris - Digitak Mastering------
---------http://digitakmastering.com---------