R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1/2" 4 track, scully, otari  (Read 4711 times)

Don Gspann

1/2" 4 track, scully, otari
« on: April 25, 2011, 10:13:15 PM »

I usually hang out over at the LAB, but my brother is moving and has a couple of old tape machines from his studio days.  Is there any value in these old guys?  Ones a Scully 280, the other is an Otari MTR 10.  If any body has any idea what to do with these, please chime in.  Even if it's he dump.

dach

Re: 1/2" 4 track, scully, otari
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 09:13:29 AM »

I'm in the same boat... 4 Scullys, 1 MCI, 1 Studer and 7 Otari's... very few are interested locally and these decks are almost too big and heavy to ship...

Steve Hudson

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 05:25:43 PM »

Recording to analog tape is undergoing a resurgence. Developments like CLASP (which seamlessly interfaces a tap machine with a DAW like Pro Tools) eliminate the excuse that tape media is too expensive and recording to tape is a limited, linear process. We have three tape machines at our studio (2" 24 track, 2" 16 track, and an ATR-10 for laybacks and mixdown) and we get a lot of business because we record to tape. I'm sure that if the decks are in decent shape you can get something for them or at least find a grateful home.

saint

• Producer/Engineer/Mixer
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 01:21:12 PM »

The Skully 280's (not the 280 'B') were AMAZING 1/4" & 1/2" machines. Don NOT go higher than +3/250nwbm with the alignment & you have a great Master Mixdown machine. At the very least, set them up for tape delays... great on vocals, gtrs, whatever. Use them or Loose them... but do NOT dump them!
Blue Skies!  Saint

Jim Sam

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 05:27:29 PM »

Rather than dumping the machines, you might want to reach out to any local recording schools or sound archives.  Both might be very interested in the machines, though I would assume you'd have better luck with the schools.  Donations are always good for taxes.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 21 queries.