R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: power amp for JBL 4412A  (Read 5695 times)

KyleG

• Real Full Name: Kyle Graham
power amp for JBL 4412A
« on: April 21, 2011, 07:02:31 PM »

Hello all,
My first real post. I'd first just like to say thank you for all of the quality advice that gets thrown around here, I've learned a lot in the past year plus that I've been following along.

The studio I've started managing has a pair of JBL 4412As but no amp for them. I'd really like to get them up and running, as the only other monitors are Event ALP5s, but have never bought a power amp before and am not exactly sure what I should be looking for. The speakers are rated for 150W @ 8ohm. What kind of power rating should I be looking for in an amp? Are there amps designed specifically for the studio as opposed to live situations? Anything else I should consider? I should mention that money is extremely tight so I'm essentially looking for the most affordable amp that will sound decent. Thanks in advance for any help.

Kyle

Bubba--Kron

Re: power amp for JBL 4412A
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2011, 07:14:28 PM »

Just get a Crown XLS 402 off ebay for cheap.    Great amp for the price, but it does have a fan though, so a machine room or just live with the sound.

cheers
Cheers, Bryan Richards

Jim Williams

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 11:02:59 AM »

Adcom GFA 555. You can get those cheap used or new. 250 watts at 4 ohms, low noise, no fans, runs cool, direct coupled, Nelson Pass design.

I replace Brystons with these. No better amp for the money.

rjc

• Real Full Name: Ray Cologon
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2011, 01:43:33 PM »

I used a Crown K2 for some years with our 4412As and was very happy with it. Plenty of power, no fan, and very clean and quiet.   8)
Ray Cologon
Darksky Media
http://www.darksky.com.au

KyleG

• Real Full Name: Kyle Graham
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 02:01:30 PM »

Thanks for the responses, all look like good options and should be in our financial reach. I'll let you know what I end up with!

mbrebes

• Real Full Name: Michael Brebes
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2011, 03:34:51 PM »

I always used a Hafler 500 to drive mine.  I would recommend using an amp that has atleast 200W per side into 8 ohms.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 19 queries.