R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: You know what annoys me?  (Read 30408 times)

J.J. Blair

Re: You know what annoys me?
« Reply #45 on: June 02, 2006, 12:22:01 PM »

Tape head cleaner will get that off.

You know what I hate?  Drivers who never look in their fucking rear view mirror.  It's like, their driving along, slowly, looking for a parking spot or whatever, and they have completely failed to notice that somebody is behind them because they are totally self involved, so they don't pull over and let the ten cars that are jammed up behind them pass.  God, I hate that.  

I also hate the people who always stand in the middle of the road on the way up to my house, so they can get their picture taken in front of the Hollywood sign.  Hey, guess what!  There's a car coming to run you over!  Maybe you shouldn't be so casual and think that you have the right of way to stand in the middle of the goddamned street for a photo!
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

Kurt Foster

« Reply #46 on: June 05, 2006, 07:54:57 PM »

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_1_72.gif

rattleyour wrote on Wed, 31 May 2006 15:32

Bob Weston wrote on Wed, 31 May 2006 14:41

What's a "log roll"?

bob

It's a signature Mick Fleetwood fill.

This is a great topic!

A lot of this falls under the "Be careful what you wish for, you might get it!" category. That's the lesson I learned when I was running my room for public use.

I have just recently been able to speak to my wife on this subject. It's only taken seven years for me to get to the point where I could think about it without frying a circuit or blowing a tube.

I had a client who wasn't happy until I had patched everything in the rack into the mix. Same guy used to drive me nuts doing vocals ... 6 hours of punching one word at a time.  In the end the first take where we would run all the way through the song without stopping, always sounded the best to me. I learned to print those to two tracks. One for a keeper and one to punch in on. The same guy used to come into the studio and head for the first aid kit in the bathroom and clean out all the decongestant tabs I had .... "Hey! It costs me money to have the supply guy restock that thing ..." Then he would grind me for a lower rate.

Linear

« Reply #47 on: June 05, 2006, 10:38:24 PM »

Bob Weston wrote on Thu, 01 June 2006 07:41

What's a "log roll"?

bob

Here log roll is toilet paper.

Here's another thing that annoys me. Studios that list 'all the classic compressors' on their gear lists.

'1176, LA2a, Fairchild 670's, LA3a's, 160VU's, 2254's'

but then when you actually read the fine print (sometimes on another page), they're all plug-ins to an HD system.

If I went to a studio, and the $50,000+ list of compressors was actually $1,000 worth of plug-ins, i'd be pissed.

Chris
http://www.linear-recording.com.au

"Fashions change, the laws of physics don't"
Steve Dove

Guzzler

« Reply #48 on: June 20, 2006, 08:48:21 PM »

What annoys me?
when a drummer show me he's a fine and strong player during a mic placement without ear-plugs! (strongly annoying)
Same problems with guitarists! this realy bother me when a band don't pay attention to my ears! 'cause i need it and of course they need it to run well(my ears)
j

CWHumphrey

« Reply #49 on: June 24, 2006, 09:06:46 AM »

J.J. Blair wrote on Fri, 02 June 2006 17:22

Tape head cleaner will get that off.

I also hate the people who always stand in the middle of the road on the way up to my house, so they can get their picture taken in front of the Hollywood sign.  Hey, guess what!  There's a car coming to run you over!  Maybe you shouldn't be so casual and think that you have the right of way to stand in the middle of the goddamned street for a photo!

I always laugh at that on the way to your place.  At least the people in the picture can see you coming.  One of these days I'm going to have a photographer hood ornament.
Carter William Humphrey

"Indeed...oh three named one!" -Terry Manning
"Or you can just have Carter do the recording, because he's Humphrey."-J.J. Blair

Unwinder

« Reply #50 on: June 27, 2006, 12:09:11 AM »

electrical wrote on Sat, 29 April 2006 18:31

Not much really annoys me. This shit annoys me:

I grab a bunch of mic cables and they're all coiled wrong, so they tangle into a wad when I try to unwrap them.

Someone tried to use the wrong mic clip for a mic, and instead of getting the right clip when he realized his mistake, he wrapped a yard of gaffer tape around the mic. At the end of his session, he put the mic back in the drawer with the tape still stuck to it, and now it's a gummy mess I have to contend with.

Instead of lowering the thermostat, they've propped-open the door so I'm heating the great outdoors all day.

The band spends the first three hours of the day lolling around on the phone, creating a manifesto of a lunch order, socializing with their friends and fucking around on Myspace, and then wants to work until 4am "because we have so much to do..."

The phone rings and nobody answers it, so I have to interrupt what I'm doing and answer it. Then the staff's collective response to this complaint isn't "you're right, we should be answering the goddamn telephone," but instead, "See? We need voicemail."

The mobile phone makes the guitar amp go "dit-dit-dit" during the quiet part. For the eighth time today.

When the dude you did a favor for acts like the favor was standard and expects an extra-super-double favor this time, and gets weird when you decline.

Graffiti. Buy your own damn building, build your own damn gangway and spraypaint your name on it. Leave me out of it.

The land speculator assholes buy the building next door and knock it down, in the process fucking up the water main, the electric service, the sewer, cracking the wall, flooding the basement and making life hell for a few months. They then leave it as a vacant lot for two years, with a swampy marsh in the center that breeds mosquitoes and smells like Gary, Indiana. Then the bums who collect scrap metal and cans from the alleys start using the swamp as a place to burn the insulation off cabling to get the metal out. Then one of the bums notices that there is a copper coolant pipe on the side of our building running up to the HVAC unit on the roof. The bum then tears this pipe off, so he can get a couple of bucks for it from the scrapper. Then I have to spend $5000 fixing the blown compressor, replacing (and bum-proofing) the whole shebang. And the land speculator assholes adamantly refuse to help us out at all.

To recap:
Mic cables, tape on the mic, the door open, the band wasting my time, the phone/voicemail thing, mobile phone noise for the eighth time, the dude you did a favor for, graffiti, the land speculator assholes and the copper pipe thing.

Oh man. That sucks...specially the blown air conditioning.
...and the stupid ass cell phone trippin the amp...

I hear ya. All you can do is shake yer head for a bit...and have a beer when you get home.

D.

Tim Gilles

« Reply #51 on: June 29, 2006, 09:31:43 PM »

Just saw this very funny thread.

I think the ONLY thing that TRULY frosts my apricots when all is said and done is...

You break something that belongs to me... and ya don't tell me about it.

See.... The historical precedent is: I've had kids blow up shit that goes into the tens of thousands of dollars in one fell swoop, and after me simply getting to the bottom of what happened, and how it can be avoided in the future... It was the LAST ANYBODY heard of the subject.

When ya treat calamity like that.... You feel you might not be crazy to expect honest and forthright confessions regarding the breakage thing....

But NO.

Stealth.

Great.

Tim "Rumblefish" Gilles

keith

« Reply #52 on: July 12, 2006, 03:30:05 AM »

evil robot wrote on Fri, 12 May 2006 11:01

You know what annoys me? The whole cowbell thing. Yeah, it was funny once. For a week. Three years ago. Now it's just tired. Get over it.

Yes.

Duardo

« Reply #53 on: July 24, 2006, 07:54:26 PM »

Quote:

but seriously, anyone not clapping, singing, whistling or otherwise when they walk into a new room is missing out on all the fun!

My kids do that any time they enter a space with any trace of ambience...they just scream "aaaah!" as loud as they can.  It seems to be instinctual.  Their favorite spaces seem to be public restrooms and those spaces between two sets of glass doors that are used to keep freezing cold air from entering a building in the wintertime when someone comes in (or keeping the cold air from escaping in the summertime, I suppose).  Oh, and hotel swimming pools.

Guys who walk up to studio speakers and tap on the cones bother me.

-Duardo
Duardo Hunter

Fibes

« Reply #54 on: July 28, 2006, 01:58:43 PM »

I just clammed up another one: Clients who insist on calling you incessantly about stuff that's not important at all, i had one call me today to tell me she got a contract with a lawyer to shop her songs, one yesterday to say "we need to fix the vocal" which I told him last week, another gripe are the calls from people thinking we are a record label and want a sponsor, the others are kids who call over and over and hang up when you quote an hourly rate, and last but not least the clients who think that because they hired slack musicians who could make it happen that somehow i have to eat it.

No go Diggie Die.

Fibes
-------------------------------------------------
"You can like it, or not like it."
The Studio

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewArtist ?id=155759887
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse2

briefcasemanx

« Reply #55 on: September 20, 2006, 05:44:28 PM »

When you're recording a band for next to nothing and you have to continually ask them not to press on the cone on your monitors that you bought on credit and then the next day you see that your one of your tweeters has been DENTED INWARDS and you don't have the 300+ dollars it'll likely take to fix it because you're in school and the band refuses to claim any responsiblity but kindly hands over the 20 DOLLARS you charged them for tracking/mixing/mastering their newest hit. I also secretly laughed when I saw one of them twirling around my headphones like a fucking lasso when I came in from having a cigarrette.

Sorry for the lack of punctuation, I had a bad weekend.  Mad  

CA

« Reply #56 on: September 23, 2006, 07:48:22 PM »

That's a quality control issue. Your staff is trying to tell you that your facility needs voicemail capability, in order to operate at a better quality level.

I'm sure he doesn't need his staff to tell him if he needs voicemail, he's probably aware of the plus and minus of it all on his own.

Which seems reasonable. Engineers are efficient when they're engineering, rather than answering ringing phones.

Are you sure he's referring to only engineers when he says staff?Perhaps there are assistants that shouldn't be letting the phone ring and ring.

Here at the Curve Lab, we utilize Verizon AnswerCall. It works like an automatic secretary. Very useful. Callers can leave a message while we're working, and we can respond to the messages during downtime.

Thanks for the explanation of how voicemail works...yes it is very useful...who would have thought!

Chris
Drop the puck!

sonny

« Reply #57 on: September 24, 2006, 12:33:46 PM »

Love the rant, but it's just hit the nail right on the head.  I fucking hate messed up Mic cables, and why, when there are cable ties for every Mic cable in the studio (my studio that is) why after a session with another engineer do I find shit loads of them all over the place and a big pile of Mic cables in the corner of the room. USE THE FUCKING CABLE TIES.

Not sure I agree with the 10hr limit.  I find creativity not to have a sense of time (chronologically not musically), but it is annoying when the twat's turn up late and then go on til god knows when.

Oh people who pretend they know what they are on about too. That's what really annoys me.  If you know your stuff, brilliant, lets talk, learn from each other.  If you don't just say, don't talk shit and waste everyones time. There is shit loads I don't know about, so i don't TELL people about it.

Sonny
Sonny

Pinna Productions
sonny@pinnaproductions.com
www.pinnaproductions.com
34-38 Provost Street
London
N1 7NG

Gilli

« Reply #58 on: October 17, 2006, 06:25:38 AM »

Heres mine:

musicians who rip the headphones off their heads after a take and drop them from head hight onto the floor, then stand on them.

producers who give their mates the session (for the earn), rather than hire musicians who can actually play..

unlablled files, takes 3 hours to work out what they are and spot them in, then the client complains because you billed them for it..

drummers who play hats really out of balance with the rest of the kit.. they always seem to have ugly clangy cymbals which they play with stupid fat sticks.

the girlfriend that comes up to you when you are soundchecking the drums and says she can't hear her boy friend.. he plays the sax and isnt even on stage...and that other friend of the band who comes up 5 seconds into the first song of the set, no sound check , u know the story , and says some dumb shit like I think the kiks not loud enough...

enough bitchin...  

G

Fibes

« Reply #59 on: October 17, 2006, 01:35:30 PM »

Gilli wrote on Tue, 17 October 2006 06:25

the girlfriend that comes up to you when you are soundchecking the drums and says she can't hear her boy friend..

There's an easy solution for that.

Look her in the eye, wait for a pause in the drums and say "Sure thing Yoko" for all to hear.

Fibes
-------------------------------------------------
"You can like it, or not like it."
The Studio

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewArtist ?id=155759887
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse2

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.078 seconds with 20 queries.