R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: You know what annoys me?  (Read 30412 times)

electrical

Re: You know what annoys me?
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2006, 12:27:47 PM »

I check acoustics by clapping whenever I'm in a new place. I had no idea it would annoy people. I also whistle a sweeping note. Maybe I should cough instead...
best,

steve albini
Electrical Audio
sa at electrical dot com
www.electrical.com

wwittman

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2006, 01:12:21 PM »

that would make an interesting thread (well... to ME...)

I also don't find that clapping tells me that much in a new room.

what i do is yell "hey!" loudly, and listen to the decay.

that seems to tell me a lot more.

and I'm sure it's MUCH more annoying to the average bystander.
William Wittman
Producer/Engineer
(Cyndi Lauper, Joan Osborne, The Fixx, The Outfield, Hooters...)

maxim

« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2006, 03:16:31 AM »

how about carrying a starter gun around?

or a balloon...?

Tomas Danko

« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2006, 03:51:30 PM »

I thought all the great cats banged on a snare drum while walking around in the room yelling "that's not it!"?

Personally, I sometimes do a clicking sound with my tongue (kinda like the sound of a ping pong ball getting hit by a racket) and vary the pitch while listening. This causes some trouble since I cannot yell "that's not it!" simultaneously. Then again, I'm no great cat.

http://www.danko.se/site-design/dankologo4s.gif
"T(Z)= (n1+n2*Z^-1+n2*Z^-2)/(1+d1*z^-1+d2*z^-2)" - Mr. Dan Lavry
"Shaw baa laa raaw, sidle' yaa doot in dee splaa" . Mr Shooby Taylor

Curve Dominant

« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2006, 04:24:31 AM »

electrical wrote on Sat, 29 April 2006 18:31

The phone rings and nobody answers it, so I have to interrupt what I'm doing and answer it. Then the staff's collective response to this complaint isn't "you're right, we should be answering the goddamn telephone," but instead, "See? We need voicemail."

That's a quality control issue. Your staff is trying to tell you that your facility needs voicemail capability, in order to operate at a better quality level.

Which seems reasonable. Engineers are efficient when they're engineering, rather than answering ringing phones.

Here at the Curve Lab, we utilize Verizon AnswerCall. It works like an automatic secretary. Very useful. Callers can leave a message while we're working, and we can respond to the messages during downtime.

danickstr

« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2006, 12:56:26 PM »

the coolant pipe has another serious drawback which is the leakage of refrigerant into the atmosphere.  that annoys me.  people are self-centered and will not change, so strict rulesets seem to be the only way to deal with them, until proven otherwise, i see no harm in it.
Nick Dellos - MCPE  

Food for thought for the future:              http://http://www.kurzweilai.net/" target="_blank">http://www.kurzweilai.net/www.physorg.com

meverylame

« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2006, 04:56:45 PM »

Curve Dominant wrote on Sun, 07 May 2006 04:24

electrical wrote on Sat, 29 April 2006 18:31

The phone rings and nobody answers it, so I have to interrupt what I'm doing and answer it. Then the staff's collective response to this complaint isn't "you're right, we should be answering the goddamn telephone," but instead, "See? We need voicemail."

Here at the Curve Lab, we utilize Verizon AnswerCall. It works like an automatic secretary. Very useful. Callers can leave a message while we're working, and we can respond to the messages during downtime.

Really? If only something like that was around years ago... Even better.. what if it ran on tape? Rolling Eyes
Cheers!
Jason Kingsland

http://www.jasonruinsrecords.com

grizzly joe

« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2006, 10:33:18 PM »

wwittman wrote on Fri, 05 May 2006 12:12

that would make an interesting thread (well... to ME...)

I also don't find that clapping tells me that much in a new room.

what i do is yell "hey!" loudly, and listen to the decay.

that seems to tell me a lot more.

and I'm sure it's MUCH more annoying to the average bystander.

LOL, i just got a visual of that in my head - though i don't know what you look like.  i can just imagine someone walking into any room, and randomly yelling "HEY!"

hahahahaha

Tripper

« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2006, 12:30:19 PM »

electrical wrote on Fri, 05 May 2006 11:27

I check acoustics by clapping whenever I'm in a new place. I had no idea it would annoy people. I also whistle a sweeping note. Maybe I should cough instead...

steve, if you're ever in my place, you can clap and whistle all you want. i'll even stomp my foot along.  Grin

It annoys me, but i admit i'll do the same if i'm in a new room.  Embarassed

Reg

« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2006, 06:48:10 AM »

Wasn't the proper room response technique demonstrated by Tom Hanks in the re-make of The Ladykillers? But seriously (ok...semi seriously) although this happens mostly in live performance situations I think that when someone insists on testing a mic by blowing into it, it should generate a well-aimed "hail 'o bullets"!

Armond

presto

« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2006, 10:20:13 AM »

but seriously, anyone not clapping, singing, whistling or otherwise when they walk into a new room is missing out on all the fun!  

I've found that it tends to bug guys who's rooms aren't that great...

bigaudioblowhard

« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2006, 02:23:55 AM »

Whats the matter with just talking? You know the sound of your own voice speaking better than anything. You spend alot more time listening to yourself talk than clapping or whistling a sweep tone. I'm sure anyone reading this can close their eyes and imagine the sonic signiature of a bathroom quite easily, even one you havent been in much, let alone clapped in. But dont go around clapping in public bathrooms, someone may mistake that for applause.

bab

Fibes

« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2006, 12:18:32 PM »

The AC thing is a PITA.

One evening in mid summer I showed up after grabbing dinner and noticed the room was hot, the thermostat didn't light and the fan didn't come on so i checked the breaker panel. Nothing was tripped. I cancel the session for the night and go around back and notice the disconnect was stolen on the unit.

The next day I call the HVAC guy for a new one, he drops by and the damn thing is back. Someone borrowed it. WTF?

Fibes
-------------------------------------------------
"You can like it, or not like it."
The Studio

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewArtist ?id=155759887
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse2

rankus

« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2006, 03:12:21 PM »

Fibes wrote on Thu, 11 May 2006 09:18

The next day I call the HVAC guy for a new one, he drops by and the damn thing is back. Someone borrowed it. WTF?

Perhaps it didn't fit their unit?.... LOL
Rick Welin - Clark Drive Studios http://www.myspace.com/clarkdrivestudios

Ive done stuff I'm not proud of.. and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting ~ Moe Sizlack

"There is no crisis in energy, the crisis is in imagination" ~ Buckminster Fuller

mr jason

« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2006, 03:54:10 AM »

When I'm checking acoustics I just randomly shout "AH", very short and loud, without any warning to anyone else, without any real thought on my part..  Rolling Eyes
It scares the shit out of my girlfriend, who runs the studio with me, cos she never knows when I'm going to do it; and neither do I.
Maybe it's a mild form of Tourettes Syndrome?
I do also do the handclaps (which also scares the crap out of my girlfriend), but I find that I can shout louder than I can clap.
It's something I started doing when we were treating one of our live rooms, and I wanted to see what difference our work was making to the sound of the room, but now it's a bit of a habit..
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.075 seconds with 22 queries.