R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: You know what annoys me?  (Read 30414 times)

OConnell

Re: You know what annoys me?
« Reply #75 on: December 09, 2006, 08:41:55 AM »

The annoying girlfriend (or the male equivalent: the boyfriend who took a course in engineering once).....

I was helping out a friend who's a very shy vocalist.  After hours of building his confidence and comfort he was starting to really sing and the takes were keepers; he had grown accustomed to the idea that he wasn't being judged on every note and that there was nothing he could do that was wrong.

And then his girlfriend shows up, tells him the vocal tracks sound like absolute crap, makes him feel like shit and DEMANDS tons of reverb in the controlroom while he's tracking in the booth.  So I did the only honourable thing.  I secretly turned off his cel phone, put my keys to the studio on the console, told the other producer to carry on, and invited her for a smoke break out back.  And as we walked out, I closed the one-way steel security door behind me, thereby locking us both out for the evening.  No studio phone, no doorbell, nowhere to hang out, no more problem.  The vocals tracked later that night were superior.

And I hope that his next record is a break-up record.
O'Connell  

MB

« Reply #76 on: December 13, 2006, 01:04:53 AM »

OConnell wrote on Sat, 09 December 2006 14:41

I secretly turned off his cel phone, put my keys to the studio on the console, told the other producer to carry on, and invited her for a smoke break out back.  And as we walked out, I closed the one-way steel security door behind me, thereby locking us both out for the evening.  No studio phone, no doorbell, nowhere to hang out, no more problem.  

Yeah one small kink in your plan: insecure dude - who hasn't seen or heard from either of you in several hours - now thinks you're off doing his g-friend.

Hopefully it's an emo band.

danickstr

« Reply #77 on: December 13, 2006, 12:33:09 PM »

what annoys me is the long wait for steve-o to update us on his adventure in the LA studio...I think he is being irresponsible to those of us who actually got hooked on the next chapter of his outing.  as the irc room would say [yawn].
Nick Dellos - MCPE  

Food for thought for the future:              http://http://www.kurzweilai.net/" target="_blank">http://www.kurzweilai.net/www.physorg.com

henchman

« Reply #78 on: December 17, 2006, 10:29:08 PM »

Man, I'm so glad I don't do music for a living anymore.
Now, when I work on music, I enjoy it.
Of course, having the option to only work on music I want to work on helps as well.
And if it becomes a complete wank fesat, and the artist tries to treat me a sif I were they're bitch, and owe them something because they think they're they're so fucking cool and talented, I simply remove myself from the project.
And I rarely EVER work past 6 anymore.

Life's to short.

rankus

« Reply #79 on: December 21, 2006, 09:19:03 PM »

Hey Henchy,

I heard the album you did for The February March recently.. sounds great!  The boys had nothing but good shit to say about you!

Now, back to the regular programming.... (sorry for hijacking)
Rick Welin - Clark Drive Studios http://www.myspace.com/clarkdrivestudios

Ive done stuff I'm not proud of.. and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting ~ Moe Sizlack

"There is no crisis in energy, the crisis is in imagination" ~ Buckminster Fuller

henchman

« Reply #80 on: December 22, 2006, 03:16:22 AM »

rankus wrote on Thu, 21 December 2006 18:19

Hey Henchy,

I heard the album you did for The February March recently.. sounds great!  The boys had nothing but good shit to say about you!

Now, back to the regular programming.... (sorry for hijacking)

Sorry, wrong Mark.
That's Marc Henning.
Funny thign about that is, I know Marc henning. I was working at The Plant in sausalito when Marc wa srecordign there with Pure. That's when they started calling me Hench. Because there was Marc Henning, and me Mark Hensley.

rankus

« Reply #81 on: December 22, 2006, 06:12:44 PM »

Ooops... Never mind then

Rick Welin - Clark Drive Studios http://www.myspace.com/clarkdrivestudios

Ive done stuff I'm not proud of.. and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting ~ Moe Sizlack

"There is no crisis in energy, the crisis is in imagination" ~ Buckminster Fuller

ironsheik

« Reply #82 on: December 29, 2006, 02:20:28 AM »

I think I rarely forget why I do this job.  I just got finished listening for the 4th time tonight the mixes I worked on all day.  Even when I'm working with assholes I make them be the only ones to suffer their asshole-edness.  I certainly try at least.  The one thing that works great is a set block of time.  If I like the band, we hang out late.  Otherwise I can kick them out.
The Seaside Lounge
"Vibe for Days..."
http://www.seasidelounge.com

minkthinking

« Reply #83 on: January 12, 2007, 07:44:09 PM »

I just read this post for the first time.  Whenever I drive down Belmont and glance over at Electrical I think... "I wonder what the fuck is going on in the big empty lot next door."

Now I can see clearly...

ssltech

« Reply #84 on: January 13, 2007, 08:53:07 AM »

Tape wrapped around the mic was already mentioned of course, but there's another annoying place where people shouldn't use tape...

Mic stands. A stand twists a bit, or leans, or slips slightly, and -instead of looking at the mechanism for three seconds and seeing how to correctly correct the issue, they wrap duct tape asound the collar of the stand to prevent it slipping... or wrap tape around the clip... or half-dozen other places on the stand.

Of course, they take the tape off three days later when drums are finished, but the sticky goo stays on the stand and jams up the clutch, or other part of the mic stand which would otherwise work much better without the glurge gumming it up.

Honestly... for a simple instruemnt, the mic stand is a massively misunderstood device. -Of any ten assistants selected at random, I reckon that only about three understand how to correctly tighten them... the the rest resort to tape, and before long half of your stand collection is gummy and sticky and won't work properly...

THAT's only one thing that makes me mad... don't get me started, I'm such a curmudgeon...
Twisted Evil
Keef
MDM (maxdimario) wrote on Fri, 16 November 2007 21:36

I have the feeling that I have more experience in my little finger than you do in your whole body about audio electronics..

Neon Noodle

« Reply #85 on: January 13, 2007, 10:23:26 AM »

I personally get annoyed when I get a stubborn turd that keeps me on the toilet for 15+ minutes, and then when i finally give up and go to wipe i go through 1/2 a roll of toilet paper 'cause the lil bastard keeps slowly peeking out like a turtle head, taunting me, laughing at me.
Look upon the Neon Noodle
Coming at you, the great cheese doodle
Amid the keyboards he will tinker
To feed your mind and twist your thinker

hEADaCHE

« Reply #86 on: January 17, 2007, 02:21:13 PM »

ssltech wrote on Sat, 13 January 2007 07:53

Tape wrapped around the mic was already mentioned of course, but there's another annoying place where people shouldn't use tape...

We have some Suretape P-672 which doesnt leave any residue, of course its $20 a roll, so instead of complaining about tape residue, I'm sure it will be replaced with overuse of tape complaints... Laughing

Steve Hudson

« Reply #87 on: January 29, 2007, 12:46:02 PM »

Neon Noodle wrote on Sat, 13 January 2007 09:23

I personally get annoyed when I get a stubborn turd that keeps me on the toilet for 15+ minutes, and then when i finally give up and go to wipe i go through 1/2 a roll of toilet paper 'cause the lil bastard keeps slowly peeking out like a turtle head, taunting me, laughing at me.

The same sticky tape that you shouldn't put on mics or mic stands works wonders to keep unwanted turtleheads at bay.
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side."

- Hunter S. Thompson should have said this, but didn't

http://www.myspace.com/steventoddhudson

dobster

« Reply #88 on: February 04, 2007, 07:13:04 PM »

know what annoys me? when one's posted question has no responses and yet close to 900 people have read it.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.06 seconds with 19 queries.