R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: You know what annoys me?  (Read 30772 times)

M Kearns

Re: You know what annoys me?
« Reply #60 on: October 19, 2006, 05:49:44 AM »

The pianist who slams the sustain pedal & releases it by pulling her foot off instead of raising it & then complains vehemently about the pedal noise when we're mixing. The same one who doubles her volume when any other instrument is soloing & then complains that the piano tone is wrong during the solos. The same pianist who to date has never failed to have her cell phone make an featured appearance in every recording I've ever done with her & then complains bitterly when I can't get rid of it. This in spite of the fact I've always told her the ringing was on the track when the take was over & she insisted on using that take.
(The same person brought me some tracks a friend of mine recorded for her saying he did a terrible job, the tracks were all distorted. It was her leather jacket, that she refused to remove, squeaking while she played.)

The singer who after hearing & loving a mix asks if her vocal was in a seperate reverb from the rest of the instruments & threw a fit when I told her it wasn't.

The mix projects that come in with massive, note by note volume automation written by the client that I'm told can't be changed even though the tracks are in no way balanced as a mix.

Another mix project on which the recording levels vary from -40 on some tracks to the lead sax never going below absolute saturation.

The guy who calls & has to have an instrumental track for a song he recorded over a year ago ASAP, then doesn't come pick it up even after I call him to find out why he didn't show when he was supposed to come get the mix.

All of these have been this week ........

Not so recent annoyances:

The mix jobs where everything is Audio1, Audio2, etc., & the files are spread across several drives & a laptop in multiple Digi LE sessions that I have to locate & then allign since none of the sessions have the same start point.

The band that comes in & rehearses for 45 minutes & then stands around & then talk & play standards for an hour & then tell me it's not fair to charge them for the full time since they only actually recorded for about an hour. No, these weren't kids, they were full adult, gigging, musicians.

The guy who wanted to book 2 hours to record a 7 piece band & just before I hung up on him, he informed me he would not pay for any set-up time or the piano tuning.

Sorry for the whining, it's been a rough week & I've been up all night with a sick kid.

Marty

M Kearns

« Reply #61 on: October 19, 2006, 07:02:01 AM »

Well, the kid's still up & I'm in no better humor, so here's more.

Steve, have you never heard, "No good deed goes unpunished."?
Almost every time I've done favors it's taken for granted that this should be the norm.

Land speculators: We have across the street from the studio a home on which stands the oldest largest oak in the metro Atlanta area, & an empty lot which a developer bought & has spent the last two years trying to bypass the tree ordinance laws through lawsuits, bribes, & trying to kill the tree by illeagally cutting off several limbs, spiking it, & finally pouring acid on the base of the tree. This stopped when I gave the people who own the land the tree is on a survielance camera they mounted on their house with spot lights trained on the tree. We've sponsored 3 benefits so far to try to help them pay their over 40 grand in legal expenses.

People who break things in the studio & don't tell any one. This includes the intern who during a late night session some how burned a hole in the floor of the main tracking room. He pulled a rug over the burned spot, set the alarm, locked up & left. Not a word to any one. I came in that morning to overwhelming smoke & went nuts trying to find where the fire was.
I'm not an ogre about this, last week an intern dropped a U47. He told me immediately. All I told him was everybody's gonna drop something sooner or later & at least he got his first time over with, don't worry about it.

The clients who book full days & want lunch breaks to be off the clock. This is just fine until it hits the point where they come in an hour late, work for 3 hours, & then want to take a 2 hour lunch break.

Clients that only book 3 to 4 hours once a week, but call multiple times a day to talk about what they want to do during the next session.

The singer who brought in great musicians from New York, started the session several hours late,(around 2:00 AM) & recorded roughly 14 hours straight & then at the end of the session when I told her the difference between her deposit & the balance due unashamedly informed me, "I aint got no money!". She later passed me a bad check & then took off for Chicago for 3 months. Finally the drummer on the session who had recommended me to this artist heard what was going on & paid me what she owed. (There are some good people in this business.)

New rule, no more church jobs. The last three that have booked, all three I had to change family plans, or go back into the studio because they said it was an emergency & this had to get done that day, they pulled a no show. Three different churches. No show, no call, no nothing.

Well, my wife's up now, she's got the bug too, but this means I can get to bed.

Marty

Bob DeMaa

« Reply #62 on: November 09, 2006, 03:17:37 PM »

[quote title=Duardo wrote on Mon, 24 July 2006 16:54]
Quote:

Guys who walk up to studio speakers and tap on the cones bother me.

-Duardo

Yeah, What is it with this one. Erks the hell out of me too. Like what, Your some kind of savant Monitor designer, and all you need to know about a speaker can be sorted out by tapping it in different places.  I don't know why it bothers me, but it sure does...

Gravity 8058

« Reply #63 on: November 09, 2006, 05:45:31 PM »

Steve, I feel your pain with regard to almost every one of the items on your list.
My version of the copper-stealing bums is that the galvanized-steel-intentionally-oversized-downspout behind Gravity has been stolen (by bums for the scrap metal) 4 times over the past 13 years.

The only one everyone has forgotten:

1am you grab and guitar pedal -- no battery.  So you look for 9 volt.... nope.  So you open up you chorus pedal (that hasn't seen use in over a decade) -- no battery.  So you open up a third pedal ----- zilch.  Then you think outside of the box and locate the milkcrate with 14 unlabeled wall warts -- and the fun continues....

Evil or Very Mad

l.e.d

« Reply #64 on: November 12, 2006, 07:54:27 PM »

A&R people who run into the studio and start bashin drumkits,or playing chop-f@ckin-sticks on the piano. Or even better, who sit a few feet away during mixing talking on cell phones about their new car and ask if the music could be "turned down a little" 'cause they can't hear the phone properly.

OConnell

« Reply #65 on: November 22, 2006, 02:51:40 PM »

You know what annoys me?
People who forget that they're doing what they fantasized about doing when they were 15.  OK - at least it was ONE of the things that I fantasized about.
I'm no box of rainbowsushineflowerpositivity, but christ man - how do you make it through your day with sticky cables???!!!  
yours respectfully
O'Connell

RSettee

« Reply #66 on: November 25, 2006, 11:17:19 AM »

Wow, this is a pretty impressive list of gripes! Yeah, I guess that's why I never really sought out to work with others on recording/ mixing/ mastering. I've done it for the bands that I was in, and that's about it. I always just wanted to learn the stuff so that I could make my own recordings better by constantly learning how to do things a better way.

One band that I was in, we were making a demo, and I had a tube mic pre running into the actual mic input in the console, right? So the drummer starts getting into it, and telling me "well, you're not getting any sound". I said "we are. Look at the meters on the console, they're at the O dB mark". He says, "well, the input is turned all the way down, let's turn it up". I said, "the input is already turned up all the way on the tube mic pre. You're gonna get clipping if you turn the one on the console up". Him: "no, the input isn't turned up".

So it eventually escalated into an argument, and I quit the band. He's one of those guys that fall into the "pretends that he knows what he's on about, and then wastes people's time blowing smoke as to what he actually knows" thing that someone else listed here.

rankus

« Reply #67 on: November 25, 2006, 02:59:48 PM »

OConnell wrote on Wed, 22 November 2006 11:51

You know what annoys me?
People who forget that they're doing what they fantasized about doing when they were 15.  OK - at least it was ONE of the things that I fantasized about.
I'm no box of rainbowsushineflowerpositivity, but christ man - how do you make it through your day with sticky cables???!!!  
yours respectfully
O'Connell

Very Happy
Rick Welin - Clark Drive Studios http://www.myspace.com/clarkdrivestudios

Ive done stuff I'm not proud of.. and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting ~ Moe Sizlack

"There is no crisis in energy, the crisis is in imagination" ~ Buckminster Fuller

Greg Norman

« Reply #68 on: December 05, 2006, 07:41:00 PM »

Food related:
People who show up early, waiting anxiously as I eat my breakfast.
Overhearing someone in the band say "I just picked up a bunch of fruit and snacks so we don't have to stop everything for dinner."  
Eating meals in the control room, with its stink and mess.
General:
People who have a bad case of OCD.  The kind of person that will freak out at the slightest hint of imperfection.  I'm talking insane stuff like if I raise the control room level, the change in volume causes this person to start freaking out.  I'll hear that person barking "was that me!? did I fuck that up?!"  then sprint to the booth to punch what he has convinced himself was wrong.  That same person, for 10 hours constantly questioning everyone about his performance oblivious about what else may be happening.

electrical wrote on Sat, 29 April 2006 12:31

The phone rings and nobody answers it, so I have to interrupt what I'm doing and answer it. Then the staff's collective response to this complaint isn't "you're right, we should be answering the goddamn telephone," but instead, "See? We need voicemail."

Steve has a distain for voicemail that is not rational.  In a way, he doesn't understand that it is the same as an old fashioned answering machine.
The way he describes it, you can imagine a bunch of employees sitting around while the phone rings off the hook.

Tone Laborer

« Reply #69 on: December 06, 2006, 11:29:22 AM »

Divas. I'm probably going to sound like an ahole, and I have worked with women that are extremely professional and courteous.

BUT---I've also had my share of whining, contemptuous,Bizziatchs lately. The younger they are, the worse it gets.  
Ed Ferguson
Austin,Tx

brunocognetti

« Reply #70 on: December 07, 2006, 04:07:35 AM »

how fitting that the most replied topic on an audio engineer board is one about bitching.  Smile

Rawk

« Reply #71 on: December 07, 2006, 04:45:04 AM »

To get back on Steve's post,

Seems like you need some basic rules in your company.
Maybe you have a powerlifter among your employees. Then he could grab the scum outside and kick their sorry asses to bootcamp or something.

gaffa tape on mic cables or mic's should be the death penalty...period  Twisted Evil

Fibes

« Reply #72 on: December 07, 2006, 05:04:57 PM »

Quote:

Steve has a distain for voicemail that is not rational. In a way, he doesn't understand that it is the same as an old fashioned answering machine.

They are not the same at all, even to ignore all the menu  jumping, button pressing bullshit that goes with voicemail, there is one thing, one very important thing that sets them apart:

Old fashioned answering machines are analog.

Fibes
-------------------------------------------------
"You can like it, or not like it."
The Studio

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewArtist ?id=155759887
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse2

Greg Norman

« Reply #73 on: December 09, 2006, 12:43:34 AM »

Fibes wrote on Thu, 07 December 2006 16:04

Quote:

Steve has a distain for voicemail that is not rational. In a way, he doesn't understand that it is the same as an old fashioned answering machine.

They are not the same at all, even to ignore all the menu  jumping, button pressing bullshit that goes with voicemail, there is one thing, one very important thing that sets them apart:

-ours is a crappy digital answering machine.  

Fibes

« Reply #74 on: December 09, 2006, 12:57:53 AM »

Greg Norman wrote on Sat, 09 December 2006 00:43

Fibes wrote on Thu, 07 December 2006 16:04

Quote:

-ours is a crappy digital answering machine.  

Then it's not old fashioned.

ugh.

Heh.

Digital.

I guess API had to change their answering machine, or the message...
Fibes
-------------------------------------------------
"You can like it, or not like it."
The Studio

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewArtist ?id=155759887
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse2

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 21 queries.