R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Why do Me's use full range B&W but mix guys use smaller monitors?  (Read 18340 times)

AndreasN

Re: Why do Me's use full range B&W but mix guys use smaller monitors?
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2006, 11:25:12 AM »

Hi!

Thanks for the explanation, Thomas. Is edge difraction, and subsequent reflections from this, a part of the free standing favour too?

Andreas

Pingu

« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2006, 02:16:52 PM »

Ronny wrote on Thu, 27 April 2006 18:58

chrisj wrote on Thu, 27 April 2006 01:26

ammitsboel wrote on Wed, 26 April 2006 13:49

chrisj wrote on Wed, 26 April 2006 04:00

Mix monitors should make it obvious if something is WRONG. Particularly in the mids, but NS10 brightness will make it unrewarding to push the highs too much, the flabby woofers will break up if you hit them with unreasonable bass, the spotlighting of the mids will accentuate the balance between band and vocal, etc.
From reading your post it sounds like mix monitors has better mids? why did you write no way??

This thread is heading to the twilight zone...

I wrote no way because 'more highlighted' is not 'better'. Something like NS-10s or Auratones will seriously emphasize the mids in various ways because they lack bass authority and in some cases treble extension- therefore you are hearing the guts of the midrange balance without the distraction of hi-fi sound. The mids are 'spotlit', highlighted, unrealistically.

That's not better, it's just harder to ignore. Functionally it might be better, for some.

As to the bass soffit mounting debate- does this mean if you mount a woofer in the corner you get eighteen db _less_ bass reinforcement? o_O I'm confused and don't think I understand what Thomas is meaning, here.

Could you possibly be meaning midbass bump produced by proximity to a wall- relative to true deep bass where the room is a big pressure zone anyway?

No, Thomas is correct. The soffit mounts are flush with the wall, so there is no back wall reflection. Soundwaves emit from the front with no reflection from the back. Different ported designs will produce different low end though, due to the inside of the cabinet or the inside of the back wall if they are mounted to the front of the soffit and not in a box mounted in the wall. The free standing speaker will exhibit more low end the closer that it is to a wall and this is compounded by corners. So if you are up against the wall but not in the corners, your low end will increase at the sweet spot, but if they are in the corners, you have two walls reflecting the back and sides of the speaker, thus increasing low end a couple more dB from the monitors that are on the wall but not in the corners. Now if the room is very large and the monitors are as far away from the wall as they are from the sweet spot, than frequency response will be closer to flat like the soffit mounts, because any reflective walls are farther away than the original soundwaves reaching the sweetspot, inverse square law comes into play with that scenario. IOW, you get the low end increase 1. from monitors being placed in front and close to front wall. 2. even moreso when they are in corners and have two walls to reflect the lows which will mask the highs and mids somewhat as they don't increase in gain as much as the lows that don't get absorbed and come back at near full gain. The soffit mounts eliminate low end build. Monitors in the corners increase low end.

When folks started using NS-10's for ref monitors, I believe the NS-10's were the first that I'd seen people using as nearfields and they started much of this controversy back than, I never could get as good a mix on them, as I could on large soffit mounts. I've come to the conclusion that, guitarists, keyboardists and bassists perform through large speakers, typically 15's and 18's on bass, 18's, 15's and 12's on key's and guitars typically 12". PA cab's for vocals and instruments FOH, are often 15's and 18's or 12's, 15's and 18's,There are a few bass cab's that utilize 8" speakers usually 4 or 8 in a cabinet and a few guitar amps that use 10's, typically 4 10's, but for the most part the speakers sizes that bands perform through are 12, 15 and 18's. The reason that I mix better through large speakers is because they mirror the bands performance speakers. I understood back than as I do now that the reason that many people were using the small nearfields was to reference the material so that they would know how it relates on the typical playback systems that use 4, 6 and 8 inch speakers, however people started using them as their number one mixing speakers after some time. IMHO, it's better "for me" to mix with the large speakers, the mixes always relate when playback is on the smaller speakers, but I hear "and feel" more with the large soffit mounts. I don't want to squeeze the sound down to a small playback sized speaker, until I'm finished mixing what I hear the live band sounding like. No doubt everyone's milage varies on this, but I just never could get used to mixing on nearfields and have always used large studio monitors.

I like your reasoning behind mixing on large speakers Ronny.

What are you using?
If I defend myself I am attacked. But in defenselessness I will be strong, and I will learn what my defenses hide.

chrisj

« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2006, 05:07:35 PM »

barefoot wrote on Fri, 28 April 2006 02:32

Imagine we have a tiny point source with a perfectly flat response suspended 1000ft in the air and a microphone some distance away.   As long as the input signal is flat, we measure a flat acoustic response.   Ok, what happens if we build a gigantic wall and move our point source right up against it?     We still get a flat response, but now it's 6dB louder.  Then what happens if we remove most of the wall and just leave a 1ft square near the source?  Well, the high frequencies are still 6dB louder, but the lows are back down to the original free field level.

Nice!

Thanks- well spoken. No wonder some guys (including B&W!) like mini-enclosures for the high frequency drivers...

schley-may

« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2006, 07:09:12 PM »

I find this an intersting discussion, but I'm not sure that I'm yet understanding the reason for Thomas' claim that soffit mounted speakers don't translate to the much more common free standing home  environment. Perhaps it's true, I just don't get it yet.

Hypothetically now, disregarding speaker imperfections:
Suppose that a mix or a master is produced on a properly setup soffit mounted system, with flat on-axis response in it's environment; and then reproduced on a properly setup freestanding system, with flat on-axis response in its environment.

Is it being claimed that the on-axis listener would here something other than what was intended? Or is it the slightly off-axis listeners that don't get the correct translation? The latter I can believe, but not the former.

Am I missing something?
Jim Schley-May

brett

« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2006, 07:50:27 PM »

schley-may wrote on Sat, 29 April 2006 00:09

I find this an intersting discussion, but I'm not sure that I'm yet understanding the reason for Thomas' claim that soffit mounted speakers don't translate to the much more common free standing home  environment. Perhaps it's true, I just don't get it yet.

Hypothetically now, disregarding speaker imperfections:
Suppose that a mix or a master is produced on a properly setup soffit mounted system, with flat on-axis response in it's environment; and then reproduced on a properly setup freestanding system, with flat on-axis response in its environment.

Is it being claimed that the on-axis listener would here something other than what was intended? Or is it the slightly off-axis listeners that don't get the correct translation? The latter I can believe, but not the former.

Am I missing something?

good question and Thomas , if I am wrong please let me know. I know Thomas sells his minimains for both soffit and freestadnign setups, but there is a need to use a diferent cross over setting for bump. So, it can be done, but soffit mounting freestanding speakers will be off.

In thoery though I can see why, as you noted, how a B&W with it's small cabinet for the mid and high could outperform a soffit mounted speakers high freq responce when placed far enough away from the wall.

And Thomas, side note, your speakers are a thing of beauty. If they sound half as good as they look... amazing!

brett

« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2006, 07:52:56 PM »

also, Thomas, what about mounting two subs up on the desk next to my nearfeilds. I have a pretty large omnirax desk with speaker shelves. I was thinking of putting a small sub next to each nearfeild or directly behind each nearfeild. What do you think? There, or directly next to me left and right? those are the only palces I have to put them.

ammitsboel

« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2006, 08:18:58 PM »

chrisj wrote on Fri, 28 April 2006 23:07

Imagine we have a tiny point source with a perfectly flat response suspended 1000ft in the air and a microphone some distance away.   As long as the input signal is flat, we measure a flat acoustic response.   Ok, what happens if we build a gigantic wall and move our point source right up against it?     We still get a flat response, but now it's 6dB louder.  Then what happens if we remove most of the wall and just leave a 1ft square near the source?  Well, the high frequencies are still 6dB louder, but the lows are back down to the original free field level.

Nice!

Thanks- well spoken. No wonder some guys (including B&W!) like mini-enclosures for the high frequency drivers...

Baffles sounds more real though.
"The male brain is designed for ecstasy" -Dr. Harvey "Gizmo" Rosenberg

Andy Krehm

« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2006, 09:56:54 PM »

brett wrote on Fri, 28 April 2006 19:52

also, Thomas, what about mounting two subs up on the desk next to my nearfeilds. I have a pretty large omnirax desk with speaker shelves. I was thinking of putting a small sub next to each nearfeild or directly behind each nearfeild. What do you think? There, or directly next to me left and right? those are the only palces I have to put them.

I have Lipinski 505's with 2 Velodyne DD-10 subs in a smallish mastering studio.

The mains are positioned as one would expect and the subs are are mounted to the outsides of the mains but on a level just below the mains.

I would advise against using shelves as I had speakers on shelves for years, with a single sub mounted on a block in the middle. When we took away the shelves and mounted the mains on stands, the sound improved significantly.

Our final setup are custom stands for the speakers and subs that are actually filled with loosely packed fibre glass, sort of a mild bass trap. We had them on concrete blocks before and our designer spec-ed the custom designed stands which improved the sound even more

These comments are a result of many hours of testing by ear and scopes with our engineers and our room designer.

This set-up sounds really, really good and we had a few different speakers in for audition before we settled on this combo.

If you are interested, send me an email an I will send you a picture as the pics on our website are a previous setup.

Andy.

Silverbirch Productions

bblackwood

« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2006, 10:18:17 PM »

ammitsboel wrote on Fri, 28 April 2006 19:18

Yah, edge diffraction distortion = accuracy!
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

zetterstroem

« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2006, 09:03:06 AM »

ammitsboel wrote on Sat, 29 April 2006 02:18

Nice!

big baffles??
Noting the music industry's complaints that illegal downloading means people are getting their music for free, he said, "Well, why not? It ain't worth nothing anyway." (b.dylan)

ammitsboel

« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2006, 10:02:04 AM »

bblackwood wrote on Sat, 29 April 2006 04:18

ammitsboel wrote on Fri, 28 April 2006 19:18

Yah, edge diffraction distortion = accuracy!

That depends on if you have an edge or not, soffit mounted speakers doesn't have any edges. By having a smaller baffle you will only move the diffraction up in frequency. Please correct me if I'm wrong Thomas.

I think many people confuses accuracy with flatness "If you get everything up in the face then it must be accurate" ...just as with a tele lens. BTW Brad, have you tried moving the crossover out of the aluminium chassis? It should make a useful difference.

Best Regards
Henrik

bblackwood

« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2006, 11:12:50 AM »

ammitsboel wrote on Sat, 29 April 2006 09:02

BTW Brad, have you tried moving the crossover out of the aluminium chassis? It should make a useful difference.

Nope, they sound GREAT and I have ZERO translation issues...
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

TotalSonic

« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2006, 11:19:43 AM »

bblackwood wrote on Sat, 29 April 2006 16:12

ammitsboel wrote on Sat, 29 April 2006 09:02

BTW Brad, have you tried moving the crossover out of the aluminium chassis? It should make a useful difference.

Nope, they sound GREAT and I have ZERO translation issues...

I've been thinking about putting my head in an aluminium chassis to minimize receiving the alien thought control waves though,,,, Twisted Evil

ummm...anyway - what Brad said - to me the B&W N802's are the monitors that have taken me the least amount of time to "learn" - things just seem to sound "right" on them almost immediatelly.   So if it ain't broke - don't fix it.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

ammitsboel

« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2006, 01:17:36 PM »

TotalSonic wrote on Sat, 29 April 2006 17:19

ummm...anyway - what Brad said - to me the B&W N802's are the monitors that have taken me the least amount of time to "learn" - things just seem to sound "right" on them almost immediatelly.   So if it ain't broke - don't fix it.

ummm... ok

mdbeh

« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2006, 04:04:52 PM »

Speaking of B&W's and floor-standing vs. bookshelf speakers, is anyone out there using 804's?

I've liked them a lot the couple times I've heard them, but all I've seen in studios are either 805's for mixing or 802's (and up) for mastering.
Brian Harper
Chicago, IL
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.065 seconds with 20 queries.